Translate

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer solstice 2012



7 cats on the bed

Today is the longest day of the year... the summer solstice.  I've had days that I considered the longest day of the year. They weren't physically the longest, but sure felt that way. But I won't go there.  I choose not to go there.  I learned a long time ago that I could choose. 

I'm a big believer in free will and choice.  I realize that we can't always determine what happens in our lives (stuff happens!)  But we can choose how we handle it... and this is what makes us who we are.

And I'm not saying that we always choose well because we don't (we are human - some more so than others).  But being aware that you have a choice and being accountable is important.

Don't know how all that came from the summer solstice, but my mind is a mystery.  Now back to retirement issues.  A day or so ago I mentioned 'routines'.  We do each have our own, but some co-habitate (is that actually a word and does it fit here? - doesn't matter).  We do both get up around 7:15 am.  It used to be 5 am when I was working at the bookstore, but we're morning people, so it didn't bother us. Now it is nice to be able to stay in bed until the sun is up.  

2 of our 6 cats sleep in the bedroom with us, so they are generally waiting by the bedroom door to join the other 4 (who are lying about in the hall with their paws sticking under the door). Use to be that they all slept in the bedroom with us, but that's another story for another day. 

BTW, the red tabby in the above picture was 19 years old and passed away last January.  His name was Thibbadeaux.

Our routines combine for the first few hours as hubby takes care of the cats needs and I put on the coffee and start breakfast. After that we're each off to do our own thing. Mine generally means heading off to the pottery studio to work on the wheel, his varies from working in the yard to building his giant model ships, etc.

By afternoon I'm back and after eating a small late lunch, usually do a few house-hold chores and then take a nap.  We both get together for coffee and a snack around 4, then there's supper to start...  Of course there are days when other things come u[; kids, grandkids,  friends, neighbors, doctor visits, shopping, lunch with friends, etc.  But for the most part our routines are set. 

We both can cook... so that's a plus.  I generally do it because I enjoy it, but on occasion hubby will fix one of his 'specialties'.  He makes wonderful red beans and rice! If I haven't mentioned it, we're originally from New Orleans and yes, we still miss the food.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...