Translate

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Ghost and the night blooming jasmine...



The many faces of Ghost...





Ghost likes to get into DH's chair.  She will wait patiently on the rug close by until he gets up for a minute... then she will jump up and take possession.  When DH returns, he will stand there for a moment, shake his head, and move to a spot on the sofa. Are our cats spoiled or what?

Next picture is one I just took outside of our Night Blooming Jasmine's baby bloom.  We love these blooms!  They are just gorgeous when they blossom and have the most heady aroma.  I wish I could bottle it. If you're not familiar with Night Bloomers, they generally bloom between 10 pm and midnight and give off this unbelievably lovely aroma that evades the whole house or garden.  My cats start to gather round it when it happens.  The bloom doesn't last very long ( a few hours) and then it fades and droops like a dying dove.








I have some photos of past blossoms. But I will have to look for them to show you on a later post.











Next photos I took while on the front porch photographing the baby bloom.   It's just a shot of our front entry. The little potted trees on the right are Mountain Laurels.  They grow really well in the Hill Country, but we have trouble getting them to grow here. These are some seedlings my son-in-law started at their place. They have done well for the last 2 years, but are struggling this summer.

To the left in the hanging baskets are/were parsley, basil, mint, and lavender.... however, the August heat has all but fried them. The basil and the mint are still fighting for survival, but the parsley and lavender have pretty much given up. The plants on the porch are the Night Bloomer and a pot of English Ivy and Sweet Potato vine.








This is a Halloween (fake) crow that I leave in the tree by our entry year round.  He's getting a little *worse for wear* after being out in the weather for almost a year.  But I like him... and wish I could find another.




8 comments:

  1. The crow looked real to me, not that I know much about what it would have looked like "fresh." I wish I could smell that bloom, Rian. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crow startles some people that come to my entry... but I like him.

      As for the Night Blooming Jasmine fragrance, there's nothing quite like it.

      Delete
  2. Ghost is one handsome cat, Rian. I love night-flowering jasmine and must plant some more next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghost is a strange cat. We used to think that besides having genetic health problems, that she was a little *off*... (which she is, but we love her).

      And you must plant more Night Blooming Jasmine if you get a chance to do so, they make your garden smell wonderful.

      Delete
  3. I love your front entry. The herbs hanging in baskets is a good idea. I grow some herbs indoors in my plant room. Baskets would look good but I might use large flower pots if I can't find a way to hang them.
    I grew Basil and parsley indoors last year. You gave me an idea to also plant mint and lavender, maybe even rosemary this year.
    Have a good Sunday.
    ~ John M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary is pretty hardy stuff... or at least I used to think so. Our August heat fried it last year.

      Delete
  4. Crows are really amazing and, I'm told, very smart birds. My husband has made a good sized bird feeder which he sits on the deep window sill outside his office window. This past year he has had a group of crows (between 5 and 6) which show up regularly and frighten off the smaller birds and get the lion's share of the birdseed that he's provided. It's really amazing how BIG they are when seen close up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely amazing birds. I was fascinated when I watched a special on them and when they couldn't get an insect out of a hole, they broke off a trig with their beak and dug the insect out with it.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...