Translate

Monday, April 14, 2014

a new activity...

Grandson teaching me to play pool

Yes, this is me playing pool with grandson.  He loves pool and was determined to teach me.  Since I have never even watched anyone play, it was truly  a new experience for me... just learning how to hold the cue was interesting. But it was fun and learning a new skill is supposed to be healthy, right?

The following are backyard photos:


Blue Jay with crouching black feral
Squirrel in feeder

Crow with mouth full of catfood



and then there's Julie... sitting on the table in the kitchen:





We had a visiting artist at the Studio this past week.  She held a workshop for 2 days.  And she used a tool called the Hax mudtool that was interesting and seemed very versatile.  I went to Trinity Ceramics this morning to pick up some underglazes and asked about this Hax. The person who helped me wasn't sure what it was and when he checked it online, said that they should have some somewhere. Well, they did... one (which is really a package of 2)... so I bought it. Told him that if they planned to order more, I'm sure there were several people in the workshop that would like to get one.

My dinnerware project this semester is almost completed. Mine is not that spectacular as it is totally thrown and fairly simple whereas some are all hand-built, etched, carved, etc. They are really beautiful, but beyond my expertise. My goal is to learn to throw on the wheel and maybe one day branch out to combine both wheel throwing and hand-building. But for now, throwing the piece itself is a chore... but getting easier. And we have to have a sculpture as the center-piece. That part of the project is due this week. Once everyone's project is completed (in May), I will take some pics and show you the finished works. Then I will take the summer off, and continue again in the Fall.

BTW, it's actually cold again this morning here in Dallas... was in the 30's this morning!











10 comments:

  1. It was in the 30s here, too, but that's not unusual. Now it IS unusual for Dallas, isn't it? Love that picture of the cat and the bunny. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... (but apparently NOT THIS YEAR). We have had wonderful weather lately... mostly in the 70's and 80's... and it's supposed to drop down to close to freezing in the morning! But I guess the unusual is usual this year. Just glad I didn't put out my hanging herbs yet.

      Delete
  2. I've never held a pool cue either, I think it's pretty neat you were learning!

    Looking forward to the pics of your dinnerware. I'm so untalented in any area that anything someone does seems impressive to me. LOL.

    Winter's coming back for us too, tonight and through Wednesday. Enough already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, In reference to winter: Yes, enough already!

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to those pictures.

    Your pool form looks like a pro's btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a *pool form*? My son said that I tended to hold my mouth a certain way when getting ready to hit the ball. He said it was funny...

      Delete
  4. You look like a natural with that pool cue in your hands. I have played pool before, but it has been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, Olga? Were you good at it? I just concentrated on hitting one ball with another...

      Delete
  5. Great photos, Rian, and it looks like inter-generational pool is proving a hit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, Perpetua, I didn't have any problem hitting the ball, but having it go where I wanted it to go is another story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...