Translate

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

red beans, cats, bay leaves, and an Anniversary...

Yesterday was another wonderfully sunny day! DH and I took a walk in the afternoon to take advantage of this and get some well needed Vitamin D.  Previous to this walk we were both busy with our own agendas...his being cooking a wonderful batch of Creole Red Beans... and mine being less creative, but still necessary... cleaning out the medicine cabinet and throwing out all the expired medications, etc. that had gathered there. It wasn't too grueling a task for me as I'd done it about a year ago, so not too much had accumulated. Still it needed to be done. 


DH's Red Beans

And then I started on another badly needed project... *printing out all my favorite recipes and putting them into a 3-ring binder*.  I've boxes and boxes of recipes (some typed, some hand-written, some newspaper or magazine clippings - some of my mom's, etc.)  and when I need one, I have to search through all this. Luckily some are already on the computer as recently I made myself put them there before any cooking was done. Anyhow, I bought a binder, some plastic sleeves, and started filling it up today. Didn't finish of course, but at least I got started.

Also took more pics of the cats sharing their sun spots.  Ghost was very possessive of hers. She was on the bed sunning herself when the others decided to join her (me included). And she didn't take kindly to sharing... hissed and growled when we joined her. 







Also... DH went outside and cut some bay leaves from our bay tree yesterday. We use bay leaf a lot in our cooking and the tree comes in handy. Some of it I'll share with a friend of mine. She loves fresh bay leaves.


bay leaves
And last of all, we had breakfast this morning at Cracker Barrel with some old friends who were our  next-door neighbors  for 30 years and who have since moved to a retirement village about 30 mins away. It was great seeing them and reminiscing... and the funny thing is that today is both their and our Anniversary (we knew that we shared an Anniversary, but it didn't cross our minds when we made these plans to meet yesterday). It's our 47th! 

Going to close this now with a sign I saw on Pinterest recently.


Have a great week!

17 comments:

  1. I loathe cooking and food prep in general, as I never hesitate to say, yet I have a big binder STUFFED with recipes in all forms, as you do. Some are glued onto pages and inserted into page protectors, some are typed out, but many are just pieces of paper. Things that looked good and simple...most of which I've never tried.So good for you for sorting through all yours...Do you want my binder too? I have a slew of old cookbooks too, some family one, some church ones, etc. Never going to use them. LOL.

    Can't blame a gal (Ghost) for not wanting to share her sunny spot. :-) At least she stayed on the bed wit the other cats!

    You have a bay tree outside? Funny, I've never thought about where bay leaves come from, but I suppose I thought some sort of small plant or shrub, not an actual tree! Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, you never know but you may need that binder one day. As for the cookbooks, I have one shelf in my pantry for cookbooks and cooking magazines... like *taste of home*, etc. Generally there are 2-3 recipes in each that I use regularly... *only these* are going into my binder... not the dozens I plan to try one day ( I'd need a trunk!).

      Concerning Ghost, she was fussing so much that Tux eventually got fed up and chased her off the bed.

      Yes, our bay tree is about 12 ft plus tall and doing very well. When we planted it we never expected it to get this big.

      Delete
  2. Cracker Barrel is one of my favorite places to eat.
    I've been married to Lynette for almost 35 years.
    That's a wonderful quote.
    Take care,
    ~John M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cracker Barrel is always fun... good breakfast and lots of cute things to check out!
      Yes, the quote is a good one. Considering that neither of my siblings made it past their 50's, I am grateful for every day.

      Delete
  3. Recipes, pottery, books, cats, etc. So many things to keep one busy. It reminds me of that old saying, "The world is so full of wonderful things. You'd think that we'd all be as happy as kings..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 47 years! Happy anniversary, and I do love that last little sign. It's so true. Your cats sure know how to enjoy napping, which must be why they call it a "catnap." :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. They also love our bed. That's one of the reasons we've never bought them cat beds... whatever for? They have access to our beds, sofas, chairs, etc.

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary!
    Ghost definitely looks a bit put out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olga. And yes, she was mightily put out...

      Delete
  6. "Happy Anniversary, Rian." That's quite the accomplishment. :) That Ghost makes me laugh. I think Audrey will look a lot like her as she ages. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghost is an odd bird. She definitely has her moments. One of the strange thing about Ghost's appearance is that she is the only cat we've ever known that has extremely wide shoulders... which make her very square. I'll have to take a picture of her from above and show you.

      Delete
  7. Happy anniversary and keep them rolling.
    Would DH share his red bean and rice recipe That pot full looks mighty fine, and I've never had decent beans and rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I'm sure he'd be glad to share. It's getting him to put it down on paper that might take some time. He's been doing it so long that he doesn't follow a recipe. But I'll see if I can get the ball rolling.

      Delete
  8. Kudos to anyone enterprising enough to actually type in and print off all those collected recipes. It's disheartening to know that there is a recipe in there "somewhere" but it's such a big mixed up mess that you settle for a recipe that is remembered or easily findable. You would not believe the size of my piles (several!!!). At least I have separated out recipes that I are standbys that I would hate to lose track of----guess that is a start of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used to do that too... separate those recipes out that I use the most... but they too would get misplaced. It's quite a task to get this organized, but you know, it doesn't seem as bad as organizing all the loose photos we have all over the place... in boxes, in drawers, etc. I started that last summer and got only a small portion done (hope to continue that one day too). Then there's important papers, yarn for knitting, fabric for quilting, etc., etc.
      I just wonder how people keep all this *stuff* organized. Surely there are people that do... or are they all OCD?

      Delete
  9. Happy belated anniversary! 47 years is a great achievement.

    I'd like that recipe too, so I hope you can convince your DH to share. I'm missing my cats so love seeing the photos of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen. As I mentioned, I'm sure he'll share... it's getting him to write it all down that may take time.
      And I'll bet your cats are missing you too!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...