Translate

Friday, February 27, 2015

and winter continues...

friend's backyard

cardinal in bird feeder in snow outside our front window


I started this post yesterday morning (Thursday). It was still snowing, but not sticking.  The temps rose above freezing and the sun actually came out,  so the roads were fine by afternoon.  We decided to get out while the gettin' was good.... and went to supper with youngest son, wife, and grand daughter.  Grand daughter was in fine form - singing her ABC's along with her mom's cellphone both in the car and at the Mexican restaurant!

This morning it's snowing again. In fact, it hasn't stopped all morning and we're getting pretty much ground coverage.  Temp is 25 F and I just got a notice that the college (where I take my pottery) is closing early today and will be closed tomorrow... so no class tomorrow.  

But on a good note:  One of our young black feral cats who was born in our yard and grew up here went missing about a week ago. We noticed this right away as he and his sister were always up front by the bay window looking in and watching us (they are about 8 months old). Suddenly she was alone.  We worried about him as he was not a skittish kitten and would run right up to the window if we tapped it. We call him *Braveheart*.  Anyway after a week of missing him (and in these below freezing temps), he finally turned up yesterday. (Secretly I've been praying that he was alright somewhere - so was really happy to see him.) We would really like to know where he was, but guess we never will. He's not talking, but he is acting a bit more skittish since he returned. 

Here's a pic of my first finished doggie quilt. For a first it's not bad - has a few puppy squares and some squirrels and a few birds...



front view

back view

and a view of my quilting set-up:


quilting by the fire-side

supporting cats helping me quilt



and I'll close with Tux keeping an eye out for that cardinal to return to bird feeder:






13 comments:

  1. I'm glad your Braveheart has come back and hope he doesn't go "walkabout" again.

    Your quilt looks great to me, I'm always impressed with your creative endeavours and talents!

    As for this unending winter, well, what can I say? This is one year we'll still have snowbanks into May, I'd bet money on it. I. Can't. Stand. It.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, as for this *unending winter*... I don't know how you stand it. But then, I guess in some ways you are used to it. It's been only a week of this here and I'm praying for the sun to come out! I have to admit that it's pretty... but way too cold.

      Delete
  2. What a long cold winter you are all having.
    Your quilt is lovely, I'm not gifted that way, my younger sister does the 'handwork' as does her daughter and my daughter. Somehow that gene missed me.
    Well, i hope Braveheart settles down again, I wonder if he got shut in somewhere...

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I'm not sure *gifted* is the right word (when it comes to quilting)... maybe *perseverance* is more appropriate.
      As for Braveheart, we thought of that too... just glad he's back. The ferals all wander off eventually, but he's still young and it's good to know that he's alright.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear that your pretty feral cat came back. Who knows where he was? And your quilt is lovely, both sides. I also like seeing Tux looking out at the bird feeder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder where he was. Perhaps he just went on a walk-about. The mama cats sometime take their kitties off for a few days and then return. Maybe Braveheart decided to go on one on his own. As for the quilt, it is far from perfect, but I'm happy with it... and I think my friend's puppy will enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. The news tonight showed pictures of the latest storm in Texas and on across the south. It just doesn't want to end.
    Your puppy quilt is really nice--such a good idea for putting a hobby to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say Spring is only so many weeks away, but it sure doesn't feel like it. However, I've seen what a difference a day makes...
      The kitty and puppy quilts are fast, fun, and hopefully a good gift for those who have little critters who sleep on their sofas and beds. My cats are always looking for "something" to sit on... even if it's a sock that was left behind when folding.

      Delete
  5. Oh my, you usually get this type of weather do you? I hope it disappears soon...both for you and me!

    Glad the cat came back. Enjoy your quilting - it is lovely. I'm amazed the indoor cats don't disturb you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The indoor cats *disturb* me as much as they can. They want me to stop quilting and sit with them on the chair by the fire. But they eventually give up and fall asleep. There are times when I've had to shut Tux up in another room as he *insists* I stop and keeps jumping up and sitting on my fabric.

      Delete
  6. That's a lovely quilt and it does seem a very appropriate thing to be making in such cold snowy weather. Glad your Braveheart came back unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Perpetua. We're glad he's back also.

      Delete
  7. what an interesting bird feeder, so glad Braveheart showed up, I just wonder where they are

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...