Translate

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Freedom of Choice... my view

I wrote this blog a while back, but never posted it - probably because it touches on personal beliefs that some may find offensive. Personally I find that people tend to be too easily offended these days... (IMO)




This is one of those sayings that are a big part of my philosophy. My thoughts are generally expressed a little differently, but mean the same. I believe that our choices decide our lives... and while we are free to choose, we must also be accountable.

Those last words, *be accountable* are extremely important because there are not many (if any) people in the world who have gone through life without having made a few bad choices. And that's OK, as long as we realize that even those bad choices played a part in who we now are. We have to "own" them... maybe even forgive ourselves for them... although I find the later one of the hardest things to do. 

How does one forgive one's self? So much easier to forgive others. I can always forgive another by convincing myself that their intention was not to hurt. This doesn't work when dealing with myself... not meaning that my intention was to hurt... but because the fact exists that I did cause hurt... intentional or not... and that in itself is painful (and hard to forgive).


“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
watch your words, they become actions;
watch your actions, they become habits;
watch your habits, they become character;
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”    

This is another quote that I believe holds a lot of truth...

Recently I read a blog that was talking about quotes and essays similar to these. What I took from that post was that the writer thought the author of these words "preachy".  IMO the fact that a person believes these things are helpful in life in no way promises that the author follows through... only believes that there are some truth in these words and wants to share. 

Lots of quotes exist.  Some strike home with some of us, and some fly right over our heads. Some that we've heard a thousand times and meant nothing, suddenly ring true. Why? I have no idea. But I believe that we are a wonder unto ourselves - meaning each of us is unique and there's something marvelous about that. 

This is why I feel that the bible which is always being poked, prodded, and translated... is a very special book... not because it was passed on to us by Christ (as significant as that is), but because it speaks to each of us in a different way.  There is no one way, but as many paths as there are people.












12 comments:

  1. There are many paths and the experiences along the way are just as varied and it is perhaps fortunate that there are also many forks in all those paths. It has been my experience that listening to those I disagree with enriches my life. I would always say in my classrooms that we did not all have to agree on everything, but we had to be kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always remember to be kind. And I have no problem with *agreeing to disagree*.

      Delete
  2. Choices have consequences--the hardest lesson to teach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. And sometimes the consequences are unforeseeable. Non-the-less, we are still accountable.

      Delete
  3. I whole-heartedly agree: we need to take responsibility for ourselves, our words and our deeds.
    Otherwise we never truly grow up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Even if our choices (words, actions,etc.) took/take us on a path that in hindsight was/is not the best, as long as we can see that, admit it, and get on with our lives... then I think we do continue to grow.

      Delete
  4. "There is no one way, but as many paths as there are people."
    Thank you for sharing a meaningful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very wise words, Rian. Sometimes it's hard to post something you think might be taken the wrong way, but this post is very straightforward. You're a good person, and it shows in everything you write. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, it seems that people can take anything the wrong way... even within families. Over the years, I've found it best to 'give most people the benefit of the doubt'... not meaning a careless acceptance, but more of a cautious optimism...

      Delete
  6. We are each unique and we are given free will and choices...and i agree that there are consequences to our choices,,, i found that out the hard way many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't we all, Dee... So glad to see you're back!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...