Translate

Friday, February 13, 2015

it's about time...

this speaks to me...


This addresses my concept of retirement pretty well. This as well as this next one:




I like this too. And we don't have to even call it *art* just creative exercises... letting our minds and hands play.

Here are a few of the little critters my hands sculpt in my free time between projects. Remember - they are what I call *rough sculpted* meaning I just find a picture of some critter that I like and see how fast I can do a rough sculpt of it.... sometimes changing a few things here and there as I see fit and not smoothing things out or making them more realistic. These have been under-glazed, but have not yet had a first firing. 



taken with my iPhone and on shelf at home drying







Fun!!
(I have more, but the others are still just clay, not under-glazed yet)

What do you do for fun?

There's joy in creating... and it seems to be found in the process (not necessarily in the end product). Probably everyone's idea of re-creation is different - but for me it's either getting lost in the process (whether it be in a story being written or read, an idea being sketched,  a recipe being put together, or a piece of clay being worked) or losing myself to nature (on a quiet empty beach or a deserted tree-lined path). This (IMO) is the true meaning of re-creation - a place or state of being where a person's soul is *restored*. I find that during this process the passage of time is not noticed. And at the end of that time, one feels almost reluctant to return to the real world, yet in some ways more able to deal with it.

I watched Linda's video of ballet, an art that is indeed a creative endeavor. And it brings me back to a question that has always meandered through my head... *What makes people lean towards these different interests or ways of expressing themselves?*  I know from Joanne's blog that her interest in weaving comes from her Aunt Laura. But what if there's no particular person or event that one knows about... ? From where did that inherit need arise? Is there some unknown genetic tie or is it a infinite combination of traits and environment that came together to form this affinity? It's probably not even of interest to anyone else, but I've always wondered... (why one person loves math and another hates it, etc.)

(and another one: why anyone in their right mind would ever want to go into politics? The only 2 reasons I can think of... the altruistic one - to right the wrongs of the world... and the one that seems to ring true - Power!) And  IMO more power to anyone who chooses to jump into that snake pit...  (Ignore this tangent. I do seem to go off track on occasion)

It's Valentine's Day tomorrow so I want to wish all of you a Happy Valentine's!  DH and I don't really celebrate this holiday, but we did buy ourselves some dark chocolate macaroons at the Godiva shop and a small New York strip steak that was marinated in espresso chocolate at Central Market for the occasion (actually we would have bought both those things anyway... Valentine's just gives us an excuse).

Here's an old Valentine pic of Jack and Tux...





  

12 comments:

  1. My mind cannot conceive translating a physical form from my eyes to my brain to my hand full of clay and have it come round full circle to the form. I hope you keep working your several arts for long to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. I intend to continue as long as I'm able.

      Delete
  2. Great post. So I'm not the only one that mulls stuff over in my head and trys to make sense of things. lol
    I love the Andy Warhol statement, he knew what he was talking about didn't he? Too often I think about what others will think of what I make when I should just slap it together for my own benefit. I spend a lot of time making things in my head when I should be making for real. Aren't we all a funny lot us humans. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I try not to ask *why* too much. Sometimes there really isn't an answer (or at least not one that we'll ever know). But other times...

      Delete
  3. Your little critters are so cute!
    I don't think of myself as creative, I can follow a pattern or a recipe but to come up with something new and different on my own is beyond my capabilities.
    Have a Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Eileen... but don't you find yourself veering from a pattern or recipe to make it just a little different. That's creative too.

      Delete
  4. I love that cute little puppy! And I am wishing you Valentine's Day from the future, in Turkey, where I am already in Saturday, while the rest of my regular world is still in Friday. Who says time travel doesn't exist? Happy little critters come from your hands, and they make me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "...Who says time travel doesn't exist?" Not me!

      Delete
  5. I really like your animal sculptures. And that heart-soul quote is absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Olga, that quote hit home with me too.

      Delete
  6. Your animals are adorable...love the puppy. i agree not to think about art...just do it. I enjoy my camera and wandering round about ways to the store. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Just do it!" I agree, Dee. And I too enjoy my camera too and wish I had the wonders of your country-side to wander and photograph. I'd gladly go with you.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...