Translate

Saturday, March 28, 2015

and the story continues...





I'm starting this blog off with this picture because I really think that the sentiment is true.  We have a more or less "silent war" going in our area over the feral cats that exist in our neighborhood. I mentioned Sam's story in one of my previous posts *story of a semi-feral*. It continues... 

At this point one of our residents has taken the initiative to have our neighborhood feral neutered, vaccinated, and released.  Several of us offered to help with the fees, but apparently *feral friends* will do it for free. So we thanked them with donations in honor of Sam.

In my private messages to her, I blessed her for taking this step and told her my own feelings on the matter - that although this Siamese cat was semi-feral and was getting old, that since he had been around our area for so long that DH and I both thought he deserved this second chance. But... we hoped she realized that not everyone in the neighborhood would agree. 

And of course they didn't.  Someone posted their feelings on the matter yesterday. In this post they complained about the nuisance feral cats created; spraying, having kittens on their property, etc. 

And this is what bugs me... I was always taught that if one has a problem, it's up to that person to take care of it. So, if the feral cats are a problem for this person, why don't they catch them and have Animal Control come by and pick them up. Feral cats don't have much chance of being adopted since they've been out in the wild too long. So more than likely, they will be put down. But Animal Control will come pick them up if trapped.  I've had discussions with Animal Control about this, and although I don't like it, I can understand that space is limited and adoptable animals are their priority. 

The other option (which IMO is preferable) is to offer them some sanctuary and try to do the CNR (Catch, Neuter, & Release) whenever possible. True, there are some inconveniences that we may have to put up with... but for those of us that believe we can live alongside the wildlife, it's not that much of a stretch. 

Anyway, that's my update for today concerning Sam.

Here are some pics of one of the squirrels in a *supposedly* squirrel free bird feeder. (BTW, I've learned that many people hate squirrels too... reason given: they are destructive and eat all the birdseed). Guess we're pretty tolerant because DH and I just laugh at their antics and figure the birds and squirrels can figure it out for themselves. There's plenty for all.




Next is a handsome black feral male...



And last of all is a picture of my first sewing adventure outside of quilting.  This isn't much of a boast for those of you who sew, but it's really something for me who until I started quilting lately, had never sewed anything in my life.



It's a pillowslip (pillowcase?) made from some fabric that my good friend (the one teaching me to quilt) brought me home from a quilting seminar she attended. It was so pretty that I had to do something with it. So I covered an old chair pillow with it. I think it looks rather nice. 

It's Friday! And it looks like we're going to have a warm sunny weekend! Yea!!



13 comments:

  1. The neighbour who is taking upon herself to do this has my thanks too, even though it's not my area or even country. The problem is rampant everywhere, and don't get me started on the reasons.

    Your squirrels are cute. Here we mostly have black ones in the city and most look pretty mangy. The squirrels that live in the next door tree drive my cats nuts. LOL. Sassy things, fearless. I like squirrels in general, though I've grown to dislike these in particular. They're the only ones I've ever had an issue with, though. Chipmunks now, well, they're just too cute for words. Once in a while I'll see one, but they're so much more timid than the brassy-taunt-the-cats squirrels. (I actually once saw a squirrel chase after a cat, while waiting at my bus stop in the early hours one weekday. It was some years back, was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.)

    Anyway, I'm super-impressed with your pillowcase/pillow slip. It looks great. (I don't sew.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have black squirrels on the LSU campus in BR, La. Here it's all red ones. And they are very sassy... teasing the cats constantly. It's amazing that they don't get caught more often.

      Delete
  2. I have a dear old cat who's the daughter of a feral mom...who gratefully gave birth on my porch where I'd feed her. I also trapped mom and got her shots and spayed, then I released her again...and never saw her again actually. My other cats did roam in the yard at that time...but now I've learned how they are healthier as indoor animals. The pillow is lovely...stitchery is such a great avenue for creativity! Mmm, I love pretty fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of our 5 cats, 3 were born of feral mothers. Since we took them in at barely 3 weeks old, they are extremely domesticated and very loving lap cats. Over the years, we have taken other feral kittens to the Animal Shelter for adoption and had the caught mama spayed and released. Our 5 cats are *inside only*... and although it grieves me that they cannot spend time enjoying the outside, we do find it safer and healthier in the long run.

      Delete
  3. Feral cats are what hurts my heart more than anything. Every area, it seems, have their colonies and of course, their problems. You know Rian that I have put food down for ferals for years.Another lady started feeding them before I began helping with food and was able to catch and fix a few but it soon got out of control.No shelters or rescues could take them on if caught and there was no money offered to help fix them. They are still being fed but numbers have dwindled just from the harsh winters and the wild-life. It remains a very sad situation and I am now told that there are many ferals in the area we have just moved to. People can be so irresponsible with cats and then they get into these situations. Sad! I agree with you about the squirrels. Just let them all work it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it hurts my heart too. I didn't create this situation and just because I can't take another cat into my house doesn't mean that I can walk away from a little face looking in my back door.

      Delete
  4. In different countries such as Italy and Turkey, feral cats are tolerated and are fed regularly by many residents. I was so surprised in Rome to see them everywhere, and obviously well fed. In Istanbul, they were also everywhere, not faring quite so well as in the rural districts, but still. I hope Sam will survive his ordeals, and yes that is a magnificent black male! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We noticed this also... in England and Scotland.

      Delete
  5. I do hope Sam makes it through. All my life my cats were kittens of domestic cats. My black and white now was a four week old feral when I was lucky enough to capture him. He fought like a tiger all the way home from Pittsburgh to Peninsula--three hours. He is unlike any cat of mine. Not social, but willing to put up with us. He doesn't do laps, but he will do beside on the chair. Don't know where he sleeps. And, he has little desire to go out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on so many things... the age taken in, the personality of the cat, and probably the genetics of his lineage. We've owned cats from birth that were scared of their own shadow and hid any time anyone came around... and yet their sibling was as friendly as can be. They had no mistreatment of traumatic experience, it seemed to be just their nature.

      Delete
  6. i hope Sam gets his second chance. Our little wild mother has 5 kittens at the moment and it looks like they are ready to be caught and delivered to the SPCA who try to rehome them. There's always a solution if only people can be bothered.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and therein lies the problem... "if only people can be bothered". And I'm not even saying that everyone should. But you are right, there IS a solution or at least something can be done even if it's not the complete answer.

      Delete
  7. We don't seem to have too many feral cats in the UK (too small a country perhaps?) but there are plenty where we are in France. They are a problem and like you I think the trap, neuter and release method of control is the way to go.

    Squirrels can be so funny in their efforts to get at the bird food, but I'm still glad to have a squirrel-proof bird feeder that my sister passed on to me. (a feeder inside a cage that only small birds can access)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...