Translate

Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday update...

broccoli - cauliflower casserole

Made this broccoli-cauliflower casserole last week. It has become one of my favorite recipes... only it makes much more than DH and I can eat. So I give part of it away and freeze the rest for us later. I'm not a big fan of freezing things... usually forget they're in there or wait too long and then don't want to use it. But I do freeze this casserole... as well as red beans and rice when DH makes it.

I also made some Chocolate Lava Cakes last week. They were good... but didn't have the *flowing chocolate lava* as intended. Guess I left them in the oven a bit too long (16-18mins?) but we still ate them. They used unsweetened dark chocolate which we both love.

Also spent a little time cleaning and hosing down our back patio Friday morning. It has a wrought iron table and chairs on it as well as a Grill and a huge iron bird cage. The feral cats use the table and chairs, we use the grill (sometimes on 4th of July), and no one uses the metal bird cage. I bought it years ago when I was thinking of raising Budgies again. But with the feral population using our yard and patio, the Budgies Project never had a chance. It's a nice cage though. I bought it on sale at a Bird Specialty shop. My daughter may have a use for it at her place. I took a pic and sent it to her (unless we ever enclose the patio... then I could have a pottery wheel and a cage full of Budgies  - something to think about).





Nothing special going on here. The rain has stopped... thank goodness. And the heat has arrived. We are having 90 - 93 degree days. 


ducks on campus

My pottery classes on campus have resumed. I made a few cups and small vases Saturday... and left some of my pieces that weren't finished from last semester to be fired. The project for the summer is going to be building a *paper kiln*. At least that's what I think she said. But more will be explained next week.



pillowcase fabric


Found this fabric the other day and thought it was too pretty to ignore so I bought some and made a pillowcase for my *horse-lover* grand daughter. I'm not much of a seamstress, but I felt I could handle a pillowcase.

and lastly American Pharaoh won the Triple Crown!! DH and I watched the race and were thrilled that there was another triple crown winner after all these years! 


picture in the Winner's Circle taken from the TV with my iPhone



10 comments:

  1. Wasn't that a race! That horse intended to win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know!!! I had given up on ever seeing a Triple Crown winner again in my lifetime--I saw Affirmed win in 1978, with Steve Cauthen aboard. I've been watching for almost 40 years. I was stunned at the victory on Saturday, couldn't really even take it in. BTW, *I* love the fabric too! Your granddaughter will be thrilled, I'm sure.

    Maybe you could repurpose the cage? You're very creative, bet you'd have great ideas, if you really don't think you'll have budgies again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Repurpose the cage? Well, maybe my daughter could use it for the baby chicks? Although I'd love to have baby budgies again. I loved watching them hatch and grow, but unless we enclose the back patio in the next year or so, we'll be too old to take it on. They do require a lot of care...

      Delete
  3. And what would the indoor cats have to say about an enclosed patio full of budgies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually we had 3 cats back when we were raising Budgies (and Zebra Finch). We had the cages hanging from the ceiling and really didn't have a problem with the inside cats. The cats we have now would probably be fascinated... but the outside ferals would be *more* than fascinated.

      Delete
  4. I rarely cook because there's just the two of us and we're always watching our calories, so I understand the need to freeze stuff when you make a recipe. I somehow think all those kitties and birds are a bad combination, so I'm glad you're not going to raise budgies right now. And yes, American Pharaoh has made us all giddy with happiness! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, DJan, there's no worry about raising budgies any time soon. Closing in the back patio is not in the cards any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what's the recipe for the casserole ? that is a really nice bird cage I thought years ago I'd have some birds to raise but not any longer don't want to be tied down to taking care of them. I like making big batches of stuff so I can freeze them so I can thaw them out when I don't feel like cooking. can't wait to hear more about your pottery class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I'll post the broc-cauliflower recipe. I'd email it to you if I could, but don't know if your email is available on your blog. I'll check. As far as the birds go... and the cats too, it does tie you down.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...