Translate

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Saturday at our house...

Couldn't resist this kitten... (found this pic on Pinterest)


As for our own cats... I was determined to start working on more quilted pillows for our den sofa today... but got side-tracked. First I decided to do a quick catnip bunny for Tux. 

Well, this is what happened.

I made the pink bunny for Tux and when I gave it to him, he sniffed it and walked away. Well, Ghost saw it and immediately ran over and laid on it. 



"Mine!"


Tux saw her and walked right back and laid on top of her and the bunny. Ghost retreated. Tux grabbed his bunny and laid claim.



"No... mine!"


So...oo I told Ghost I'd make her one too. So I made a square bunny so they'd be different and besides square is faster than round when sewing.



Ghost and her square catnip bunny


and then of course , Julie (who was sleeping on the counter) woke up and was looking at Tux and Ghost with their new toys... and I had to say, OK Julie, we'll get you something too. 




Julie sniffing her new fish toy

"I guess it's OK...


So as you can see, I got very little done on my quilted pillows. These little catnip toys are very roughly made, but seem to make them happy.

Now... I've promised the boys (DH and grandson) that I'd make meatballs and spaghetti this evening, so I'd better get to it.  I guess that the quilted pillows can wait a little longer. 

Oh, I do have another quick cat story... this one referring to the feral cats outside. At around Easter time we usually put out some plastic Easter eggs in the front and back yards. The colors look pretty in the grass and the cats enjoy rolling them around. Well, this time I stuck a few cat treats inside the eggs so not only do they rattle, but the cats can smell the treats inside. We laughed watching 2 of the kittens playing with one and sniffing it... but they couldn't figure out how to get it open.  The next morning not only was one egg completely gone, but the other was opened and the treats missing. We figured that the raccoons probably figured out how to open them during the night ( they're pretty good with their hands). But the missing one was a mystery. Perhaps the raccoon took it home with her/him?

If so, we wish him/her a Happy Easter!







14 comments:

  1. It's fun to spoil our pets just a little, isn't it.Your kitties look proud of their new toys.

    One year we had hidden plastic Easter eggs with chocolate candies in them for our grandson. When the egg hunt was over we realized we had one egg missing. Neither I nor my husband could remember where the Easter Bunny may have hidden it. A few days later while working in the flower bed I found the missing egg. The top of it had been gnawed and had a big hole in it, but the chocolate egg that was inside was untouched. I think it was probably one of our mischievous squirrels who just had to know what was rattling around in that plastic egg, or maybe he thought it was a giant pink nut of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cats have always enjoyed playing with their toys. We used to put them all away in a basket at night... and by morning we'd find them spread all over the house.

      Delete
  2. I make a point of not telling my cat how nice you are to your cats. I don't let him read over my shoulder, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are funny, Joanne. I know your cat loves his nice warm home and the people who take care of him. He's one good looking cat.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful you are to all you rcats feral or not; Barney has been enjoying the out of doors warmer weather, I must remember to give him some catnip, I sprinkle it on the ground for him and he rolls in it. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Barney enjoys his outdoor romps! You could plant some catnip for him outside in the garden? He might enjoy that too.

      Delete
  4. Ha, I love that you ended up making three catnip toys and that all laid claim to theirs. So cute!

    It would seem that all your critters are getting Easter treats this year, including the raccoons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing to watch the personality dynamics that go on between the 3 of them. Ghost is locked in the bedroom with us during the night while Tux and Julie have the run of the house. Well, this morning when we got up, Ghost headed straight for the kitchen and again laid claim to the pink (and not the blue) bunny. Go figure. Maybe she has an affinity for pink?

      Delete
  5. I love the different personalities of your indoor kitties. I can see that Ghost is Top Cat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Ghost is not top cat... Tux is... he inherited this position from his brother, Jack (who definitely was top cat) when Jack passed. Julie is Tux's spirited sister, and Ghost is the young female (now 12) we took in when her mom abandoned her. She is feisty, a little psycho, but sweet for the most part. She is also the youngest of the 3.

      Delete
  6. You are a very good cat mommy making all those catnip toys and then the Easter eggs to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitties are adorable. I love those little catnip toys. Ghost looks serious, like he means business. Don't know how I've miss your last two post, as much as I enjoy your blog.

    So sorry to hear about the young man in your family recently diagnosed with cancer. I Hope and pray all goes well for him.

    And, that possum sleeping in the cat's bed is so funny. I'll have to show that to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Henny. I enjoy your blog also. How is Chief Son of Bun doing?

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...