Translate

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

same o'... same o'

Nothing new to post about.  Summer is definitely here... it's 90 F today and will continue to get hotter.  Texas is not the place to be in July and August.  





I'm working on my wind chimes as my summer clay project. Haven't ever tried to make wind chimes before so it should be interesting. We have some out front that make a really nice sound and I've been wanting to get some for the tree out back... so I decided to make my own. They may be all ceramic or they may be ceramic and copper tubing. Haven't decided yet.

Also I took a Word 2016 class this past week. It was offered by the Library and was a beginner class. Now I've used Word 2007 for a long time, but probably only use a small percentage of what it can actually do. We were told that Word 2016 basically does the same things, but may just do them a little differently. Most of the things he showed us I already knew, but I did pick up a few new techniques. There's an intermediate class next week. 

I was talking to someone this past week who has recently retired and we were discussing the pro's and con's of retiring in place as to moving to somewhere they've always wanted to live.
In our cases, we both seem to lean toward retiring in place... as everything familiar is just too convenient... doctors, friends, classes, etc. (not to mention family). Not that we wouldn't mind traveling a little and visiting some wonderful places. But it's expensive to move and feel that retiring in place and visiting the other places would be the practical thing. Starting over (new surroundings, new everything) after a certain age seems difficult. But many do this... and it works out well. What are your thoughts?







11 comments:

  1. It seems to me place is dependent on friends and family and opportunities. Otherwise it is easier to face the challenges of home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not against trying somewhere new... like Maine or Scotland... and even living there for a year or so. But to completely leave everything we know permanently would be difficult. Perhaps the time for that adventurous spirit has passed.

      Delete
  2. Once we retired, we moved away because of the cost of continuing to live in Boulder, Colorado. We moved ten years ago to the extreme northwest corner of the US, and costs are much less, and we love it here. It all depends on what you want. We haVe no family to speak of, either here or back there, so that isn't a factor. If I did have family nearby, like you do, that would probably be the deciding factor for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you both made a great move at an opportune time in your life. At our age now, I think I would like family nearby... although at one time I would have loved spending a year or more somewhere like Maine or Scotland or just perhaps somewhere by the water...

      Delete
  3. I think it's easier to stay in one's comfort zone as one gets older, unless one has a very adventurous spirit. I know I don't want to remain in my current city once I'm retired, but I will not have the means to live somewhere else, and the cost of housing definitely will be a factor. That said, I'm all for downsizing if one has a huge house to manage.

    As for your wind chimes, that seems like a lovely project! How do you get the tone you want? Is it the size of the chime itself, and the material from which its made? Something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Comfort zones"... not sure if they're good for you, but I have to agree.

      As for the wind chimes, it will be a learning experience... but I will share. I've already made the clay parts for 2... one will be all ceramic and I'm trying different sized pieces so we'll see how they sound... and one will incorporate ceramic with either copper or wood.

      Delete
  4. that cat really is melted; can't wait to see your chimes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. It may be a while as I need to fire all the pieces and then see how to put them together... string, wire, fishing line...??

      Delete
  5. I love that "melting kitty" poster. It's so cute. My husband and I have talked about selling our place and moving closer to the mountains for years, but talk is as far as it goes. It is hard to leave all that you've worked for over the years. Rian, I replied to your comment about Bickett dying, if you get a chance to check back. Thank you. Henny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right that it is hard to move when you've worked so hard to get the place the way you want it... and starting over isn't easy after a certain age.
      And I did read your comment about Bickett... and responded.

      Delete
  6. The windchimes sound wonderful - I'll look forward to seeing your endeavours.

    I am one of those who has decided to move, rather than stay where I am when I retire. It has to do with the weather most of all, as I cannot abide the thought of spending winters cooped up in my home. I've been tossing around the potential of living elsewhere for 8-9 months and then come to Saskatchewan for the summer. Surely by then both my adult children will have places of their own...since they've bunked in with me for so long, I figure turn about is fair play.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...