Translate

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Have you noticed....? Also quilts and cats!

I have noticed that now I get my email notifications on my iPhone for comments left on my blogs... but only AFTER I publish the 'comments awaiting modification'.  This isn't exactly a  email notification of comments since I have to look for them under 'comments awaiting modification' first. Does this make sense or is it only me?

Before I used to get the comments awaiting modification notification on my phone and only after I 'published' them would they appear in my blog. This seems to make more sense. What do you think?

OK, having gotten that off my mind, I will share some photos I took at the Plano Quilt Show this past week.











This was my good friend's quilt and my picture doesn't do it justice since the light from above was casting a shadow on the bottom. It won a Blue Ribbon (first prize in her category).









This was just another that I found the pattern eye pleasing...








and another that the colors were comforting.




And this one was my favorite... very sweet.
Again shadows mess up the lower left half.









close up of  last quilt


These quilts (IMO) are not functional quilts (made to cover beds), but rather "art" best shown as wall hangings, etc. I enjoy quilting, but don't ever aspire to be a master quilter. 

As with my writing, pottery, etc. I enjoy the process of creating immensely, but for whatever reason don't have the desire to be 'the best'. Perhaps this is a flaw? No competitive spirit? As I've  mentioned before, my older sister once told me I was "too content". That sounded like a flaw. 

It's a little late to worry about flaws at 73. But it does seem that people who have a  lot to overcome are more motivated - to be the best!  So perhaps who we really are is truly both a product of our genetics (personality) and our environment (conditions under which we were brought up).  Any comments on this?

My comment: I may never be great at what I do... but I do enjoy it!

And I'm going to leave you with 2 pics of Tux while he was lying on my lap the other night. They are in black and white as they seem to show his 'expressions' better. The first is of him lying peacefully with eyes closed. The second is of him giving me 'the look' for disturbing him.


peaceful



"really?"

Have a great Sunday!

Forgot a quilt pic! (will post next time)




15 comments:

  1. The stink eye, eh? Wonderful quilts!
    I must send this to my sister. The rendention od the breeze over the pie is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's what he gives me... "the stink eye" !

      Delete
  2. I went into Settings and where it says to email comments, I erased that and then saved, and THEN went back and reset it. It took care of it for me. And I love all the quilts, especially the boxy one and the arty last one. Tux is getting gray, all right! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. I did that. Now I will see if it works for me. And yes, Tux has a lot of gray! (he's 14 and showing his age... think that's about 72 in human years)

      Delete
  3. I love quilts; years ago I used to make quilts with cardboard templates I made up myself, much easier today; I also love fabric; I have to tie my hands behind my back not to buy fabric, the third quilt really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Linda. Fabric can be fascinating. When I go to these quilt shows, it just blows my mind to see what people come up with... not just the pattern, but the stitching, color, and combinations.

      Delete
  4. I've been having similar problems - I'll have to try DJan's suggestion.

    The quilts are absolutely gorgeous. My mom was a quilter but hers, while lovely, were meant to be functional. I have two that she made for my children and one that was on my parents' bed. The first two have been tucked away for some time, and I had to give up using the other one as it was beginning to fall apart. It too, is now in storage. Perhaps I'll find time to try to repair when I retire.

    Cats can certainly let us know how they are feeling. What a beautiful boy.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me now if DJan's fix works for you... and I'll do the same.
      Tux is a sweetheart - and he can be a bit crotchety, but we love him!

      Delete
  5. I love looking at quilts, though I don't sew a stitch and have no inclination to do so.

    As for being content with what you create without needing to be the best: I'd say you were more "evolved" for lack of a better/more appropriate word. I don't see it as a flaw at all! You create for the sheer joy of it, and that, I think, is something special. (I take pics from the same standpoint--love to do it, I do it just for myself, and I don't care that I'm not some fabulous photographer, I'm just happy and in the Present Moment when I'm out there with my little camera.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I've never had an inclination to sew and still am awful with any hand-sewing. When my friend and my DIL started me on quilting, I was not very enthusiastic, and when I tried to hand-sew a quilt, I ending up quiting... too much tedious work! But when they got me into machine sewing, that was definitely easier. I could still create (put fabric, color, and combinations together) without the tedious hand work.

      And I'm glad that you don't consider my lack of the competitive spirit as a flaw... if it is I read somewhere that we should always allow ourselves some forgivable sin, perhaps this is mine (along with coffee and dark chocolate).

      Delete
  6. I used to try to be perfect and got down if things were not just so, but recently I've realised that hand made isn't meant to be perfect and since accepting this I find that I'm enjoying my work so much more.
    The eyes say it all with Tux, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just visited your site, Briony, and your work looks pretty perfect to me. I'm not familiar with scrumble art? I had to google it. From what I can see, it's a freeform combination of crochet/knitting and embroidery? Whatever it is, your pieces are really beautiful.

      Delete
  7. I had the same comment problem and had to quit modifying them. They just post and the email is sent to me. I risk spam but so far none.
    I love that last quilt.
    Got a chuckle out of the stink eye. Minnie has been known to give me one when she is perturbed with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Patti, I didn't quit modification yet... but your comment DID come to my email. However, it wouldn't let me publish it from my phone as I would have to disconnect 'cookies' which I didn't want to do. So I had to come to my blogger site on my laptop to publish it.

      Delete
  8. Very nice. I like the last image most.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...