Translate

Sunday, November 25, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018 - food, family, and friends

Thanksgiving 2018 Food!

Thanksgiving 2018 Table


I don't decorate too much for Halloween or Thanksgiving... mostly put out a few pumpkins, but I do start sneaking in our Christmas decor here and there (if you can see there are a few stockings hanging by the fireplace... and if you could see further up, there's Christmas candles, etc.) It works.

Besides, the traditional holiday food is the main attraction. Each family is different, but mine want Turkey, Ham, stuffing (used to be oyster, now it's Jalapeno Pecan), bourbon sweet potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans with bacon, cranberry sauce, broccoli/cauliflower casserole, and rolls. I occasionally try something different (last year I added stuffed artichokes - my 5 year old grand daughter loved them!) And our desserts differ some. Most want a family traditional favorite - a chocolate pudding with a pecan cookie crust... but DH makes a fantastic cheesecake that everyone likes too. This year my DIL even brought a delicious apple crumble to add to the mix. 

In general, I make all the food and they all come here... but last year we went to my daughter's in the hill country and one year we went to my son's (before they moved to Hawaii). I love doing it here, but it's getting to be difficult getting it all done on my own. It may be time to 'pass the baton' or find a good restaurant. It won't be the same, but time passes and things change. As long as we're all together, it should be fine.

Here are a few pics we took - mostly of the grands:









4 grandkids - outside by the house
(hard to corral that youngest for a pic)



grandkids by well









grand daughter on top
in tree
with her friend



daughter on left with her best friend

Our daughter lives in the Hill Country around San Antonio, Texas and her best friend now lives in Colorado Springs - but they get to see each other either at Thanksgiving or Christmas when each comes here to Texas to visit family.

I guess that's about it. Everyone left for home yesterday. It's been fun, but a bit hectic. Giving myself some 'downtime' this week... 

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! 







14 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! Oh the food looks so delish!! I'll have to look for a Jalapeno stuffing recipe...my adult children would love it.

    Enjoy your downtime, I'd say you've more than earned it.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen. I am enjoying it. Slept the afternoon away yesterday and today I'm sitting by fire reading quietly.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely Thanksgiving you all had! The food...! You always make THE BEST food, makes me wish I were a relative. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a nice time, Kim, and the food was apparently to everyone's liking as there is 'none' left. I did send some home with my youngest son and his family... but we basically finished a turkey and a ham (and various veggies) in 2 days! This was a first... as usually we have turkey and ham left over that we share with the outside ferals. However, I'm sure DH shared some with them when he first cut up the turkey.

      Delete
  3. The table is lovely, though I looked several times to see you have pumpkin on the plates, not slices of ham. Great grands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pumpkin napkins, Joanne... to make my plain white plates look festive. My daughter has china for every holiday (adorable bunnies at Easter, reindeer and other wild critters in the snow at Christmas, etc.) but I only have good white china (and even that doesn't come out much anymore) so I used some hand-painted pumpkin napkins that I found at William Sonoma to fancy it up a bit.

      Delete
  4. That was quite a spread you put out and what a great looking family. I've kind of reached the age where I'd rather be company than hostess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I do love doing it, but may have reached that age too...

      Delete
  5. It looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing your family with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. Please keep sharing your beautiful area with us too!

      Delete
  6. Your Thanksgiving looks just perfect. The food looks delicious and I LOVE that tablecloth with the pumpkins. You have beautiful grandchildren. I love for all the family to come here. This year we went to my youngest daughter's for dinner. They have moved back to NC. We are thankful for that. I find it harder now to do it all myself too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love doing it. It is an act of love and tradition. But I hate to admit that age is taking it's toll and getting it all done is harder than it used to be (sigh).

      Delete
  7. The food looks fabulous and having family around the table is the best part of the holiday -- no matter who cooks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...