Translate

Sunday, December 2, 2018

how life has changed...




(found on Pinterest)


I was thinking this morning as I plugged in both my iPhone and my Kindle how much life has changed in the last 70 plus years. I can instantly post pictures of things I want to share with my family and friends, I stream movies and TV shows to watch whenever I feel like it, and I now drive a key less entry car that is driven completely by buttons and which has not only a phone but a back up video camera and heated seats! (I love heated seats!) It even knows me and adjusts the seat to fit me when I enter. Can you believe? I mean... we didn't even have a TV until I was about 8... and now... well, you can see where I'm going. Technologically speaking, we are moving faster than light (to my mind anyway).



(found on Pinterest)

When my windshield wipers went on by themselves as it started to sprinkle the other day.... I thought, "huh, how smart is this car?" 
(It also honks at me if I leave the keys inside the car when I get out...)

And just how does 'wireless' work and really what is 'the cloud'??




I don't know the answers to these questions, but I sure do like most of what technology seems to do... and although we do use an iPhone, a laptop, a Kindle, and apparently a 'smart' car, there is so much more out there (and coming) that I'm not sure we'll ever understand. 

I read "The President is missing" by Clinton and Patterson and "Origin" by Dan Brown. Both these books make technology possibilities very scary... although entirely probable. It's actually not the technology itself, but how it might/could be used. And here lies the problem - so much good versus very dangerous ground. But it is not my intent to go there today (or any day).



just thinking...








25 comments:

  1. I like the cartoons, especially the first, which I totally relate to. One day this past week I kept tying in the wrong password at work; I'm surprised I didn't get locked out. There must be more than 4 tries before that happens. LOL.

    I have my smart phone, could take it or leave it. Ditto for my Kobo e-reader. I have it for convenience and storage space reasons only. I don't have a car, and none of my appliances is "smart," nor do I want them to be. I would NOT give up the internet and email, however. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we have to 'go with the flow' as they say. Technology is not going to go away. It will continue to affect our lives... probably more and more so. I sometimes wonder how long it will be before our 'smart technology' outsmarts us.

      Delete
  2. Your post made me smile, I can relate as I am of an age with you, more or less. Funny cartoon where the smart phone and smart car ran off together, leaving the poor driver. There are dark warnings lurking in that of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good we can laugh at it sometimes. But we will have deal with the good and bad it brings. I have faith that we can...

      Delete
  3. It is so true! I don't want to go there today, either. Or any day. Love that last picture so much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, DJan. I've used that quote from 'Gone with the Wind' so much in my head... the one where she says, "I can't think about that today. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your collection of images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cat isn't thinking. He's turning trouble over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that what most of our thinking is...???

      Delete
  6. That last photo took my mind off everything you wrote. I was really wishing I was that cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I have in the tech your mentioned is Kindle. I have no cell service here, my vehicle requires hand cranking windows, and my TV has Direct TV but it isn't smart. Though I am behind, I realize that we might be playing with dynamite with all the tech advances. Look at all the hacking.
    Books and a contented cat, what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I once wrote this:

      "Give me a garden
      ... and a cat
      peace and quiet contemplation
      Add a favorite book
      and a cup of tea
      These are the wonders of the world
      ... to me."

      (nothing special, but your 'books and a contented cat'comment made me think of it)

      Delete
  8. I don't even try to keep up with technology anymore...it's well beyond me. Though I do appreciate heated seats.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rian, so happy I found your blog and happy to follow. We have so much in common besides the age! Lovely post with lots to think of. Take care now from me at Canadian Needle Nana (I may be a no reply still which I've tried to fix often...grr).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Jocelyn! Thanks for visiting... and I will definitely check out your site sometime today.

      Delete
  10. sometimes I long for the dial phones and non digital technology. tire sensors and when they go bad it costs an arm and a leg to fix, all the convenience are wonderful till they need to be repaired or fixed and then they cost an arm and leg I don't have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Linda. Technology is wonderful... when it works. But it IS expensive to fix. We had one of the electronic windows on my mom's old car stop working and never got it fixed as the expense ($500-$700) wasn't worth it. And now so much more is computerized.

      Delete
  11. Dear Rian, we do live in an age of wonders. I think that is seen more by us who used to live in an age when none of these wonders were available or even thought of. Young people just take all this for grated. It's their world. And for us it is a new world. Not for them. But there will be new in their lives also. Change is always happening. To live is to change. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change is inevitable... keeping up with it is not always easy... but I'm willing to try.

      Delete
  12. Technology? Mixed blessing. My new thermostat will adjust to my lifestyle automatically and also save me money ... but not until I find the time to figure out how to use it, which I haven't done yet. But I do love those heated car seats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love those heated car seats too... somebody's great idea!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...