Translate

Monday, January 7, 2019

catch up...


funny...


This post may take a while... it's coming after a week of 'something or other' that has had me bedridden with croupy cough, headache, and fever.  I won't say it was the flu... but since I had the flu shot in October, I guess it could have been a modified version. All I know is that my fever (102 F) broke Wednesday night and I woke up soaked with perspiration... and have felt better since.

First, let me say that we had a wonderful Christmas and New Year's. 

Our daughter who lives in the hill country and was with us for Thanksgiving, decided to drive up on the spur of the moment 2 days after Christmas... for a short visit and to deliver Christmas gifts she had yet to mail. It's only about a 4.5 - 5 hour drive (even shorter if grand daughter (17) is driving), so they can leave early and be here for lunch time.  This was an unexpected but happy surprise. 

Daughter, Grand daughter 1 (17), DIL, and Grand daughter 2 (6) took off and did some Girls after Christmas sale shopping.  I picked up a new Star for the tree next year. The old one is rather small and really wasn't made to top a tree. 

We also hit Northpark Mall which is one of the biggest and oldest malls in the area. It was packed!  I never would have been there if it wasn't for this spur of the moment  'girls shopping spree' (I really don't like crowds). But I can go with the flow... when it's family oriented. 

Anyway, youngest grand daughter saw the Train Exposition.... which is there every year (getting bigger every time) and wanted to go inside. You have to get tickets, but it all goes to charity. So of course I took her while the others shopped some more. This was also packed with people and kids (and probably where I picked up some bug). But it was fun. She enjoyed it. The last time I was inside there was when our oldest grandson (20) was 4. He enjoyed it back then too.









There were trains everywhere... going in all directions and the kids could push a button and stop or start them.










This particular one was made like Fair Park and Big Tex here in Dallas.  If you look closely you can see Big Tex on the midway.









OK... now I'm going to mention something that has really been bothering DH and myself these last 2 days. Apparently our neighbor's wife across the street passed away 3 months ago. Did we know? No. Were we close friends? No... but we've lived here for 34 years and have waved hello as we passed... occasionally speaking when outside working on the lawn, etc. 

When checking with our neighbors who are on both sides of us (and who admittedly we are closer to), they didn't know either. How can this be?  She was only about 50  (I'm guessing)... and our closer neighbors are about the same. DH and I are the old ones

My dilemma is what to do. We don't know them well enough to go knocking on his door now 3 months later. Yet it feels wrong to not to anything. If we had known, we would have brought food, sent a card, extended our sympathies somehow. But now... ??  I plan to talk to my closer neighbors and see if we can figure this out. But I have to admit, it's shocked us - not that a neighbor could die, but that one so close could die and us not know anything about it.  




Ghost covering her face...











7 comments:

  1. That is a dilemma. Perhaps you can put your heads together and think of a meaningful response. A note and offer of a donation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad, and as you say, a real dilemma to figure out what to do at this point. I would also be in a quandary as to what would be appropriate. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of an offer of a donation. But yes, that's tricky. I live in a townhouse complex with most units now being rentals, so people come and go all the time. I wouldn't have a clue if someone, even next door, passed away. I suppose that's a sad commentary on our society!

    I'm glad you're feeling better. We all know the flu vaccine only covers a fraction of the "bugs" going around, hit and miss from year to year. Hopefully you'll be fine from here on in!

    A very happy new year to you and your family; I'm wishing you all the best for 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you have recovered but understand your dilemma. I had a friend whose husband died suddenly but I didn't hear about it till a month later. What to say? What to do? I called her,admitted just not hearing about it and told her how sorry I was. We are still friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. I still haven't decided what would be appropriate. And I agree that it seems to be a sad commentary on our society... and disappointing on a personal level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure hope you are feeling better. Haven't things changed over the years! Neighbors just don't keep up with each other like they used to. Back when I was growing up there were always neighbors stopping by to visit a little or borrow a cup of something. We knew all our neighbors. We have neighbors now that we wave to but never really talk to. Some I don't know their name. Would be hard to know what to do in your case. You little granddaughter is adorable. She has beautiful hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many paws! That is really funny. Gotta send that one on to my daughter and granddaughter, the collectors of cats.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...