Translate

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Promised home-made eggnog recipe... and an extra

Home-made Egg-nog

Recipe for Home-made Eggnog:

Eggs 3
Sugar 1/2 cup
Milk (whole) 2 cups
Evaporated milk 1 cup

Separate yolks and whites
Beat egg yolks with sugar until creamy
Heat milk and cream until very hot, but not boiling
Add a little of the egg yolk mixture to hot milk gradually, stirring well as you add, then add rest.

Then beat egg whites with a little sugar to taste (maybe 2 Tbsp?)
When stiff, add this to egg yolk/milk mixture
Can sprinkle with nutmeg (optional) and add a little whiskey (we use bourbon- maybe a capful ?)

Makes about 4 cups depending on size of cup or flute. 
We use champagne flutes and put another teaspoon of whiskey on top when served.

Refrigerate any leftover. Excellent hot or cold!


*and a new endeavor...  Cast Iron Chicken Pot Pie:

I won't post this recipe unless someone wants it, but I took it from Cast Iron magazine and it came out rather well. I will say that I 'tweaked' it a bit as it calls for using frozen veggies and I prefer fresh... so I semi cooked my potatoes and carrots ahead and then added them.  I also added a little white wine, parsley, bay leaf, and thyme.








10 comments:

  1. oh my word that pot pie looks delicious, I need to learn how to make gluten free crust because that is the one thing I truly miss about having to eliminate flour and of course the eggnog looks luscious like a cloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that I don't have to do 'gluten free'... I would have a very difficult time giving up bread/flour.

      Delete
  2. I am such a fan of cast iron cooking. Since the seventies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the magazines... the dishes they show are so wonderful looking. I'm sure one could cook the same things without using the cast iron skillet, but for some reason it makes it look even... (more better?)

      Delete
  3. I just gave my large cast iron pan to my son. I wasn't using it because I now have a glass top stove -- an appliance, in my opinion, designed for those who don't cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't used cast iron for years, but when I started picking up the cast iron magazines on occasion, I went out and got me a 10inch Lodge skillet.

      Delete
  4. Now I'm hungry! Both of those items look delicious. Glad to see you're busy as a bee these days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IMO the home-made eggnog IS delicious. The chicken pot pie was good... easy to make... but perhaps I will add more wine and seasoning next time.

      Delete
  5. That pie does look amazing and I do have an unused cast iron pan. Not sure my diet would allow the eggnog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...