Translate

Saturday, May 18, 2019

a hodge-podge of thoughts...

Weather report on iPhone

This is what we woke up to this morning...  Tornado Watch alerts on phone, weather radio, and TV.  Not unusual for this time of year and to be honest, I've always liked the rain and stormy weather. We  grew up with Hurricanes in Louisiana and as a child, they were accepted as part of life. Nowadays... guess it's age (isn't it always?) but stormy weather (especially tornadoes) unnerve me a bit. 

I have done a few things around the house... made coffee, cleaned the kitchen, took out some ingredients to make a blueberry custard pie, and made sure that what needs to be in the 'tornado safe middle bathroom' is there in case the Watch turns into a Warning, etc.

But I can't 'settle'.... so I decided to write this. It's probably going to be a hodge-podge of stuff since I've nothing special in mind.  Suppose we start with one of the little fish mobiles I finished. Here's a pic.  




This one was done with a Potter's Choice Glaze called blue rutile. 
Another was made with PC Glaze called seaweed. These are not windchimes, but mobiles that swing loosely with wire between the pieces. I'm hoping the outside ferals might enjoy having them hanging in the trees.



Also you may already know this, but I came across this poster on Pinterest and thought that I'd post it as some may not be familiar with this process. One of our ferals is marked like this.  We call him 'square ear'.... but it's obvious he's been notched. Most of the ones that come by our yard are well behaved  -  but occasionally we get a mean one that likes to fight. We have one now that luckily isn't around much... he's a long-legged skinny black feral that likes to cause trouble. When he shows up, DH tries to run him off.

Another recent visitor to our yard :

snail

This little guy was 'trucking it' across the front walk the other day. Snails are known to be 'slow'... but this little one was really moving along.  I took his pic for my youngest grand daughter who is attuned to all creatures and would be fascinated with him.

This next poster I came across reminded me so much of her with the expression on the kid's face that I had to send it off to my son.




Well, I guess that's enough rambling for now. Maybe I'll get back to making my blueberry custard pie. 

Have a wonderful week-end. I do appreciate your visits and giving me the opportunity to get my mind off of the weather this morning.  

Hugs,
Rian








16 comments:

  1. I hope the watch won't turn into a warning and that you and everyone else is safe. I would be freaked. We sometimes do get tornado watches even here, and several years ago one did pass through our region (not my city, just west of us). Scary.

    I love that fish mobile! I would imagine the kittens, especially, would be fascinated by it.

    As for the snail--they do have beautiful shells, don't they?

    Anyway, stay safe, have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. It was an all day affair here, but has pretty much blown over now. The watch did not turn into a warning (thank goodness), but it sure did rain!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for pointing that out about the ear notched cats and that program which sounds helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good program... and we contributed to it over the years.

      Delete
  3. That's a big storm, there, and forecast to come my way a bit. Your dangle fish is sweet. And, in closing, the rule for my grandchildren was simple: get out of bed with a smile on your face. It makes the day so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky... sky went dark, got a lot of wind, rain, thunder, and lightning... but not as bad as expected. And I do believe that one's attitude does make a big difference in how life goes. So getting out of bed with a smile sounds like good advice.

      Delete
  4. I hope the storm decided to go elsewhere. I enjoyed your potpourri post very much! And I love that adorable kid with the frog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding joy in nature is a gift. That look on the kid's face is priceless.

      Delete
  5. We do not tend to have many feral cats here in uk, but I did have cat called Sandy years ago with an ear like that but it was through fighting. lol
    Keep safe in that weather.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briony, when we visited the UK, we saw lots of feral cats - possibly more on the islands as well as along the coasts. And yes, cats can get their ears mangled by fighting, but this clean cut slice off the top or down the middle is pretty obviously surgically done.

      Delete
  6. I hope your tornado watches don't develop into anything serious. We get some here, but not the same as your area. We only have one "feral" cat (orange cat we call him), but we're not even sure if he is indeed feral. He uses our cat door. He's pretty harmless and we haven't seen him in a while. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Jenn. Some of the stray cats aren't feral. They probably lost their homes one way or another. And they may be more sociable than a feral... but they're still homeless and need help.

      Delete
  7. I like your little fish mobile; but I bet I'd LOVE your blueberry custard pie. Show us a picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Tom... next post. We love custard pie here. It is one of my stand-by's. But when fresh blueberries or fresh peaches come into season, I usually add them in.

      Delete
  8. Stay safe. I would be huddled in the bathroom long before a warning, thankfully I've never had the experience of a tornado.

    I love the fish mobile. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tornadoes freak me, but I'm getting used to the 'watches'. The bad one we had the day after Christmas a few years ago did me in... as I had my son on the cell phone as the tornado touched down a few blocks from his house. He had his wife and little girl in the bathtub and was telling me that his roof was shaking. That one took out several blocks not far from him (and not that far from us).

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...