Translate

Sunday, June 9, 2019

just a few things...

I watched a movie with Judi Dench this morning, "Iris"...  story of an English author who dazzled readers and professors alike... both with her lectures and with her thoughts. She loved "words" and in her older years developed Alzheimer's. Story is especially sad because words were her life, but if it plays true, her professor husband is more than understanding and compensating... caring and doing his level best to give her what of life she has left. So yes, it was sad, but also comforting in a way. If any of you have seen it, I would love to hear what you thought.

Oh... also we were able to finally get our tickets to Hawaii to visit our son. It had to be postponed a bit to a later date, but that's OK. He lives on the central east coast of Oahu (at least I think that's right) moved there 2 years ago. Loves it!  The pictures he sends are gorgeous. 





I also have a friend who moved to Hawaii last year. She bought a house on the Big Island... and loves it too! Can't wait!

Currently in the studio:

Bird feeders which are on greenware shelf ready for first firing

These bird feeders will eventually be glazed and hung up with cord one on top the other like a mobile with beads - and  birdseed in the wings (to hang in trees). At least... that's the plan.


Silly seal I sculpted Saturday also awaiting first firing

This little guy wasn't planned, but since some of my clay works hadn't been fired, I didn't have anything else to work on... so I made this silly little seal.

Oh... great,  another severe thunderstorm warning for our location just announced.  Here we go again. Sky has turned black... Guess I need to shut down the computer. Have a good Sunday and thanks for visiting.


Hugs, 
Rian



18 comments:

  1. I hope you won't have long to wait before you travel to Hawaii! The view in the video is amazing.

    I haven't seen the movie, though I've heard of it, and I do like Judi Dench, she's fabulous in whatever role she plays.

    Your feeders and seal are terrific; I especially like your "silly seal."

    Take care and stay safe (with the storm).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures my son sends of the ocean and of the vegetation there is amazing. The movie, Iris, was on Hulu... and I agree, Judi Dench is great. As for the storm, it got dark, windy, and thunderous, poured rain for a while... then gone (thank goodness). However, the wind did topple a crane onto an apartment building, so it was a bit fierce.

      Delete
  2. love the seal, have a great trip, wish I was going to Hawaii. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I plan to take pics and post them! I love watching videos or live pics of the ocean when my son sends them.

      Delete
  3. I can think of little worse than losing one's vocation to Alzheimer's! I doubt I could bear to watch the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that, Joanne. I generally don't care to watch those type of movies either. But the subject and Judi Dench got me on this one (My mother, and aunts on both sides had Alzheimer's). And to be honest, it was sad... but there was something uplifting about it too (maybe the dedication of her husband and friends made it so).


      Delete
  4. I like the sweet little seal. I like Judi Dench but haven't seen the movie. I used to love the series "As Time Goes By" with Judi Dench on PBS. We are having thunderstorms too. When I closed the chicken house door this evening, the rain gauge was showing 4 1/2" of rain since Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henny, We are also fans of "As Time Goes By". We no longer get PBS since we've gone to streaming, but many of the PBS shows are on Acorn. As for the thunderstorms and heavy rain, my daughter lost one of her chickens to drowning this past year. The others all came up on her porch, but one didn't make it.

      Delete
  5. I have not seen Iris, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. Neat idea for a bird feeder and the little seal is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris was a good movie... sad, but good. I'm not sure one would enjoy it, but there was something there that makes it worth seeing. And Judi Dench does a superb job.

      Delete
  6. I recently saw another movie with Judi Dench in it, "Red Joan" which I enjoyed very much. I'll look for "Iris" since I have never seen any movie of hers I didn't really like. Glad you got your tickets for Hawaii. I've never been there myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, DJan, I think you would want to see "Iris". I'll look for "Red Joan"... never heard of it, but will watch for it. And we've never been to Hawaii either. It will be an adventure.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen the movie but it does sound very interesting. I know you'll enjoy Hawaii because of visiting family, and Oahu is a beautiful island. We did a drive out to Hunauma Bay - I think it was on the east coast - if I have my directions correct. Very pretty!

    Love the birds and the silly little seal, it's adorable. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask my son where Hunauma Bay is. The storm passed us by pretty quickly, but apparently did a lot of wind damage to trees and power lines around the area. But we are fine and luckily didn't lose any power at our place.

      Delete
  8. I'll look for Iris. I am a fan of Judi Dench from "As time goes by". I love that little seal and hope your trip goes smoothly and you have a grand time with your son. Take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do look for "Iris". It's an interesting movie. I too watched As "Time Goes By" on PBS.

      Delete
  9. Iris Murdoch was a great and famous author, her books are well known in the UK. Iris was an accurate portrayal of her later years. It was a dreadful waste when she developed Alzheimers. The film had excellent reviews too. i enjoyed it if you can ‘enjoy’ the portrayal of the destruction of a mind.
    I like your artistic work very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Friko! Thanks for the comment. I read all your posts although I don't always comment. And yes, I understand about the 'enjoy' part. I didn't enjoy it (as such... too sad), but thought it very powerful and thought provoking.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...