Translate

Sunday, August 11, 2019

ice-cream anyone?





Tom at Sightings over Sixty was talking about the love of ice-cream not long ago. From his post as well as the comments, it made me realize (not for the first time) how much alike we all are . Very few people (but of course there must be some) either don't like ice-cream or possibly can't eat it for various reasons. Such a shame.

Even though it is not my very favorite dessert in the world, I do enjoy it on occasion. As I mentioned in my comment on Tom's blog - fresh home-made peach is my all time favorite. But DJan of  Eye on the Edge mentioned that hers was Cappuccino chocolate chip.  This brought back memories - as DH and I discovered Cappuccino Chocolate Chip while on vacation in Maine quite a few years ago. It was delicious!

But last summer Blue Bell came out with "Happy Tracks" - an ice-cream that had both peanut butter and dark chocolate chunks in it. We were in heaven... and with our grandson living here with us (and also a chocolate and peanut butter lover), we couldn't keep it in the freezer for long.  It would disappear pretty quickly. For whatever reason, it has not come back on the shelf at our grocery stores this year. Yes, we have looked.





And one other ice-cream product that does 'call' to me... are Dove Bars! I love the dark chocolate coating and the creamy vanilla inside. I only let myself buy these in August when the weather is so hot here in Texas that any indulgent is OK to cool off (at least that is what I tell myself). And DH has been known to surprise me and stock the refrigerator with them when or if I need a boost... (like after having a bad day or week - which happens to the best of us on occasion).

So... with the dog days of summer here at last (we're at triple digits these days), ice-cream sounds like a good idea. 

Now growing up in New Orleans where the summers are very hot and humid, we had snow ball stands everywhere! I do miss those. And for those who might think these are the same as snow cones, they're not! Snow balls are a cone full of wonderfully soft crushed ice filled with whatever delectable syrup you asked to be put on top. My favorites as a child were always nectar and cream or chocolate and cream. Is anybody out there familiar with snowballs?

I still try to get a snowball in New Orleans whenever I'm home visiting family.

Well, I hope you had a wonderful week-end... and again... as always, thanks for visiting.  Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to a Dove Bar today!

Hugs,
Rian





26 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of ice cream, though will have it on occasion. I do like Dove or Magnum bars. They are a special treat.

    I guess it was too cool in New Orleans in December to see snowballs (doesn't that sound ironic?) Perhaps on my next visit I'll get a chance to try one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, the snowball stands are generally open during the summer months. I doubt you would find one open in December.

      Delete
  2. oh I could use some ice cream right now, can't run my kiln and ac at the same time, supposedly electric company is doing a test but I know what they are going to day, too expensive to upgrade, funny thing is when we moved here I could use both, now no, too many folks on the line since this is a fast growing ares, got my home really cool and now doing a glaze load of 15 hours, so far so good. Never heard of a snowball, in Mexico when I traveled there they had the snow cones with lots of various syrups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, Linda. What I've experienced as a snowcone here was a very hard solid ball of ice with some syrup on it... and not anything like the soft crushed ice of a snowball.

      Delete
  3. You make me miss our brother, who didn't think his frequent ice cream runs were complete without a sack of Dove Bars for his sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't Dove Bars wonderful, Joanne? Such a treat... and they aren't really very big (actually I think they're getting smaller as time goes on).

      Delete
  4. How sweet of your DH - a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would say he's a keeper (51 years so far). And he does love his ice-cream!

      Delete
  5. Oh ice cream. My favorite is from the creamery at Penn State University. They took vanilla ice cream and ground up Mounds Bars (also one of my favorite candy bars) in it. Oh delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember Mounds Bars (and Almond Joy's). Don't see them around much anymore.

      Delete
  6. I would enjoy one of those Dove bars if I were not busy counting my calories right now. I love ice cream and am so glad Blue Bell isn't available around here. I do remember those snowballs and loved them. I am spending this summer being less active than usual and thought I'd take the time to lose a few unwanted pounds. So ice cream is being replaced by 100-calorie fruit sticks. Sigh, not the same at all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not the same at all. But if you feel the need to celebrate a bit.... go for a Dove Bar. They really are not very big.

      Delete
  7. I don't eat much ice cream because I worked at a Dairy Fountain one summer in my junior year. They made us eat our mistakes which sounds counter productive but honest, soon you get sick of it and don't make ANY mistakes. Every now and then, Callie and I will share a small cup of vanilla. Some of those flavors you mentioned however do sound good. Maybe I should branch out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend ‘s parents owned a drugstore and I worked there one summer in high school. I didn’t work the soda fountain... so no ice- cream mistakes. But I can see some kids making Ooops! I guess I have to eat that! 🤣

      Delete
  8. Why thank you. I think I will do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to feel sorry for myself because I became allergic to shrimp a few years ago. Then I met a man, just the other day, who told me he recently developed lactose intolerance. Can't eat ice cream. I expressed my condolences ... and counted my blessings. Love those Dove bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently Dove Bars are more popular than I realized...

      Delete
  10. Dear Rian, I do know what snowballs are and have tasted them here in Missouri. As to ice cream--I love it!!!! My favorite is Ben and Jerry's cherry garcia. And then . . . butter pecan! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee! I have tasted Ben and Jerry's cherry garcia and it is good... not my favorite, but good!

      Delete
  11. As kids my friends and I would get snowballs in the summer at our local park. How we loved that sweet cold treat in the hot, humid south Mississippi summers. Then it changed to snow cones and I no longer spent my money, Not until I was an adult did I learn the secret of the snowball's allure: "shaved ice" instead of those hard little chunks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree LC... snowballs and snowcones... not the same!

      Delete
  12. If only I could. I am dairy intolerant but there is a very good Swedish soya ice-cream (sounds revolting but is actually quite nice) which is a reasonable substitute. There are plenty of decently flavoured sorbets too, altho I do wish I could have the real, creamy, ice-cream everyone around me is licking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry that you are dairy intolerant, Friko. Glad I'm not - as I'm allergic to soy and can't eat yogurt (migraine trigger). But I agree that sorbets are good.

      Delete
  13. i am not sure how i really feel about ice cream. i eat it often because my husband loves it, so when he goes out for ice cream, i always go. we don't really buy it for the freezer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably good not to keep it in the freezer. However, my youngest grand daughter (6 years old) always asks for ice-cream when she comes by to visit... so how can we not?

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...