Translate

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Halloween Goblin King...



Cutest Goblin King ever... (on right)


My grand daughter (6) loved the movie "Labyrinth" and decided to dress as the Goblin King for Halloween this year. Her mom did a great job putting this outfit together. I just love it!



************


 Now on another note, I have been back into my clay pottery with a vengeance.  Don't know how long this will last, but it's kept me pretty busy... and my mind off of other things



finished sea turtle vase




I'm not too happy with this vase as the blue background and green turtle almost blend into each other.



lizard on bowl and psychedelic chickens

These are in the kiln for first firing. We'll see how they come out.



Terra Sig balls for Raku firing

An experiment in the making...

                                                 
world of snakes globe





Two views of my world of snakes globe - still  greenware just drying... (thought of making the world green and the snakes multi-colored, but think I may make the world blue and the snakes green for simplicity).

And lastly, my big silly chicken just finished (which is still wet clay):



silly chicken...

And for those of you not interested in pottery, I apologize... but this was all I had to offer in this post.

Wait! Julie posed for a pic yesterday. I'm a little worried about her. She has had an small open sore under her neck that has been around forever and won't heal (possibly because she scratches at it constantly). Now her ear is red... not swollen, just very pink... no visible abscess and nothing seems to bother her, she eats well, eyes clear, etc. But we're watching closely. She (knock on wood) has never been sick in her 15 years.



Julie

Closing this now. Hope you are having a good weekend. Thanks as always for reading (and commenting if you've a mind to).  I personally find the comments sometimes as interesting as the posts.

Hugs,
Rian





20 comments:

  1. Your "silly chicken" made me laugh out loud, I love it (him/her). Have you ever seen the clay animated movie "Chicken Run?" If not, it's definitely worth watching. "I don't like gravy," says one of the female chickens, who is rather silly. :-)

    Your granddaughter looks adorable. I can't believe we're already almost at another Hallowe'en, barreling toward Christmas. Yikes!

    As for Julie, can you snap a close up pic and send it off to your vet, ask her/his opinion? Healing thoughts to her, and purrs from Nicki and Derry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did that today (snapped a pic of Julie's ear) and sent it to our Vet. Haven't heard anything yet... but it is Saturday. They may have closed early.

      Delete
  2. love all your pottery especially the turtle vase, can't wait to see more of your finished work. hope your cat doesn't have an abscess, is her nose dry? I read that cats hide their discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Julie doesn't act like anything is bothering her. And we think her ear is less pink this morning. But we will keep an eye on it.

      Delete
  3. I thought raku was firing in very hot coals or flames. I that the intention for those two small balls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty much. We did some Raku firing last year. This time we were told to use the Terra Sig on some small pieces and these will be fired to bisque, and then either Raku fired or pit fired outside in the back of the studio.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear you're working again with clay. I love the chicken and that green lizard crawling up the side of that bowl. And I too hope everything will be okay with Julie. Good idea to send a picture to the vet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these pieces that I'm doing now have been done with paper clay - a paper clay we made ourselves in the studio. It's wetter than Cinco Blanco and in some ways harder to do smaller pieces, but great for the round or egg shaped done on balloons. But the resulting pieces are a lot lighter in weight.

      Delete
  5. Pottery is one thing I have never tried but I appreciate it all the same. I love the snake globes.
    Fingers crossed the sore on Julie is nothing serious, what a worry these cats are.
    Glad you've got your mojo back.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to try pottery a few years ago and really like it. Some of the women have done it for over 30 years and are really very talented. I enjoy it - like my writing. It's an outlet for creative ideas, etc.

      Delete
  6. You certainly have been going to town with your pottery. Having a creative outlet is so important and you definitely have creativity to let out to shine in the world. I love your work, really want to see the finished silly chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olga. It is an outlet and one I enjoy. The best thing about Art is although you need to know a few basic rules... after that, you have unlimited possibilities to create whatever comes to mind.

      Delete
  7. Love how that little lizard is hanging on. I get it. That goblin king looks ready for the season.
    Hope it is nothing with Julie but I would have it vet checked. He may need to take a scraping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patti. I hope he is still hanging on when he comes out of the kiln. At the school studio, sometimes things don't make it from the shelf to the kiln and out again. Too many hands involved in the process.

      Delete
  8. Your pottery is so much fun, especially your crazy chickens! Your granddaughter's costume is awesome, even if I didn't get the reference. That's what happens when one doesn't watch movies.

    Hope all is well with Julie. Our fur babies can worry us as much as the human ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I only recognized the character (Goblin King) because I watched the movie (Labyrinth) at grand daughter's house with her one night when we were babysitting.

      Delete
  9. Your daughter did a great job with the costume! Your granddaughter looks amazing . She is so cute. I love seeing what you've made. The lizard on the bowl is really cute, and the silly chicken makes me smile. You must have felt happy while making that. Hope your sweet Julie will be okay. Worrying over our animals seems to be a daily thing. Little Weetie has an appointment with the vet this morning. She has heart problems, that have gotten worse lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henny, the lizard lost one of his legs in the kiln... hazard of school firings. But I will fix it. Silly chicken is still drying and I'll start under-glazing her this week.
      Hope LIttle Weetie's vet appointment went well!

      Delete
  10. Dear Rian, please let Julie know that Matthew, Maggie, and Ellie are meowing their good wishes to her and their belief that the vet will be able to help her live even longer to bring joy to you and yours. They are powerful purr-ers and have her picture now to concentrate on!

    As to the pottery: isn't it wonderful--something to be truly grateful for--to have a passion. And you have two: writing and pottery. How blessed is your life. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee - for the good wishes for Julie. I don't think it's anything serious. We're watching her pretty closely. As for the pottery and writing, I do enjoy both. I gave a few author's copies of Time After Time to a few 'readers' in my pottery class. They seem to really enjoy it. Had to explain my penn name (D'Arcy): private person who doesn't want her own name out there.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...