Translate

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2020: We made it!



my 2020 mantra...


First of all, Happy 2020! I find this date a bit hard to believe... why? Many reasons.

One being having been born in 1945, 2020 just sounds really odd. 

Next, I vividly remember watching the movie, 2001:A Space Odyssey, in 1968. The movie taking place in 2001 seemed so-oo futuristic. And I remember it so well as I was 9 months pregnant at the time and the theme music (those drummings at the beginning of the movie - click heremade the baby (now my 51 year old son) kick up a storm. (Since he was my first, I thought he was going to kick his way out).

 And also because in 2020 DH and I will both be 75... (or hopefully we will be that is). That's a critical date for me for whatever reason. Might be because my dad died at 75 - not unusual I guess, but for some reason it's become embedded in my psyche.

Now... the reason for my poster pic here at the top. I was going through Pinterest looking for something interesting or possibly funny to post when I saw this one. Well, for those of us who have reached a certain age we have (or at some point will) come to the realization that there are some things that are simply no longer possible - or if still physically possible, probably not smart. This is not easy to accept, but accept it we must.  

However, there are also many things that we can still do where age may be an advantage. After all, we do have experience and maturity (hopefully)... and a lifelong perspective. Must be worth something. Anyway for each of us it will be different, but one of the things I decided I wasn't too old to do this year was 'publish my book'.  So when I read that "I was not too old and it was not too late" poster - it made me think of that. 

And there are so many of us out there who are doing or producing worthwhile things... even at an advanced age. So many of you bloggers are inspiring to me. Even just blogging and sharing your life experiences and thoughts with others is a wonderful thing. So I say if there's something you've always wanted to do or say or share, then maybe 2020 is the time to do it. 

And please continue to blog as I love hearing what is going on in your lives or thoughts.  We all have so much in common and although sometimes this world today seems so unstable, I really do believe that most people are good and basically want the same things. We just can't agree on how to go about it.

So thanks for reading. I didn't really plan on writing all this. Sometimes my thoughts and fingers have a mind of their own...



Hope you have a wonderful New Year's Day!

Hugs,
Rian




Julie says Hi!


(Julie has been having some very strange problems lately. I don't want to go into it here, but will another day... as I need other opinions. It even has our Vet puzzled.)
















26 comments:

  1. Happy new year! It helps to have a family and a bunch of blog friends to keep you company. May 2020 be the year to do what you really want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Gigi, it does help to have family and friends to get you through. Happy 2020 to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. Hi backacha Julie! You want to publish a book? What kind? Get cracking girl! I was told by friends that I should make a book of all my bird photos. Well, I did. Published it thru Amazon. I'm rooting for you to finish that...it's on your bucket list.
    Ps...
    I have never liked coffee. But a good piece of chocolate would be nice...the caffeine triggers SET (100-250 beats a minute!)...resulting a trip to WE.

    HAPPY New year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, I DID publish my book this past year. It's the "Time After Time" mentioned at the top right of this page. (I used a pen name - Darcy Regan Hart) But I do hope to finish a sequel to it in 2020. I too published on Amazon. What is the name of your book? I will check it out. What name did you use? As for coffee, coming from New Orleans it's part of my DNA... can't imagine not drinking it.

      Delete
  3. dh says if we are on this side of the dirt all is good, a bit cryptic but realistic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true too, Linda. But it is important that we keep moving... and contributing.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year!

    I love that inspirational saying, and even though I'm "only" 55, I have to tell it to myself quite often, as I struggle to look ahead with meaning and hope.

    I certainly hope Julie will be okay, that whatever is amiss isn't serious/life-threatening. Purrs to her from my little Derry Bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Kim... I don't think I had to 'slow down' until my seventies. And it wasn't gradual (or that I noticed), kind of like I hit a wall that I didn't see (and should have). But I will say "do what you want or need to do now or soon..." (or in the next 10 years). As for Julie, I'm very worried. Cried all afternoon Monday, but she and I are both better today. I will explain soon. It's so very strange.

      Delete
  5. 2020 as an actual year never crossed my mind, ever, until it popped up. How unexpected to be in it, now. Strange number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed... strange in many ways. But happy to be in it with you!

      Delete
  6. I agree with everything you said here, Rian. I've read your book and cherish it, look forward to the sequel. I hope Julie will be okay. Don't you wish she could just tell you what's wrong? I remember Y2K and now it's ancient history! I was born in 1942 and never imagined I'd make it all the way to 2020! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, DJan, how I wish she could. When she's sitting on my lap purring, I've asked her many times... and tell her that we will fix it whatever it is. She just purrs.
      And yes, I remember Y2K and how worried everyone was as to what it would bring... and yes, now it is ancient history.

      Delete
  7. Best wishes for the new year and new decade!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, part of staying young is keeping one's mind and body occupied. My dad had a brain bleed at the age of 93 requiring emergency surgery. We, the family, were told there were three possible outcomes: death, brain damage, or he could come through intact. Thankfully we were greeted the following morning by the third option. His surgeon met with us later and said she believed the outcome was due to the lack of atrophy in his brain that is normally seen at that age. I attribute this to his continual learning and practice. He could do a crossword like nobody's business.

    Okay, now I've written a post, sorry! Hope all will be well with Julie. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, that is wonderful about your dad. We had a friend with a similar problem (he was in his 70's). We thought he came through the surgery fine... but died a few days after going home. It was a shock. But he had had many health problems, so possibly he was simply not strong enough. So yes, we need to keep our minds and bodies active for as long as possible. Happy New Year to you also!

      Delete
  9. and blog i will as it keeps me sane and makes me very happy!! at 61 i have already given up a few of my favorite things and i know it is not easy. but i stay positive, try to stay busy and i really enjoy life!!

    hoping for the best for julie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the secret, Debbie... enjoying life. So keep blogging and we will keep reading!

      Delete
  10. Each year brings new challenges...even for our loved pets. Hope you can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure do too, Tabor. Julie is such a sweet cat and she has been part of our lives for 15 years... and believe it or not, has never been sick or to the Vet's except for vaccinations. This strange symptom is such a mystery.

      Delete
  11. I know these 20--dates sound so Buck Rogers. That kind of dates me. Yes you did publish a book and am I glad you did. Such a delightful read.
    Hope you can find out Julie's problem. Lots of cat owners out here. Maybe we will recognize her malady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I didn't know you had read my book... (or possibly didn't remember), but so glad you enjoyed it. I'm not doing much marketing (not my thing), but so happy when I hear that someone liked it.
      As for Julie's problem, I am hoping that by putting it out there, someone may have had a similar experience with a cat. The Vet we saw was very nice and very efficient, but she was at a loss as to what could cause this. She did consult with the other Vets and still we haven't come up with an answer.

      Delete
  12. You captured the possibilities of this season of life so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LC. Here's wishing you a wonderful 2020!

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh, Rian... me, too. It should still be 19 something or other. But, 2020.. sounds strange. I hope I can remember to write it on any checks/correspondence I have coming up. You have a good one. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Latane. And your post about de-cluttering is a good one. I don't make NY's resolutions, but getting rid of some of the clutter in our closets is something I really ought to do. Maybe in 2020?

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...