Translate

Sunday, June 7, 2020

2020 streaming graduations, achy bones, and finding joy...




Grand daughter's streaming graduation June 2020


Got to watch our grand daughter's high school graduation in the hill country Friday evening! Knew we wouldn't be able to attend, but didn't realize that they would stream the graduation. It was great to be able to see what was going on without actually being there. 

We could see her clearly both in the overhead picture where they showed the graduates alphabetically and then when she was called up to receive her diploma. Daughter and son-in-law who were in the stadium said that we could probably see better than they could... (plus it was HOT in the stadium). We sat and watched it in A/C comfort from our sofa 5 hours away. I was impressed with the streaming!

I do wish they had worn masks.... but they didn't. However, they did TRY to do social distancing. 


******************************


When I awoke this morning, it was one of those 'Oh God, I'm old' moments... where you feel tired and achy and not exactly refreshed and alert. But up I got and made myself a cup of peppermint tea. Ghost was sitting there in the kitchen hoping to get a drop of cream... so of course I indulged her (being the only cat now she is so spoiled - but then they all were).

Then I walked through to the front room. Sun was shining through the window and makes such a soft glow on my little flock of  Cheeky Chickens sitting on the shelf... the new ones waiting to get fired but the how and when to be determined since the campus is still closed. Our pottery group zoomed last week - about 6 of us anyway (first time zooming for me). It was nice to see all those faces again.

Turned on the TV and set the channel to the Sunday news.... more reviewing of all our troubles (past and present) and I thought, 'no, I can't listen to any more of that... not now, maybe later'. 





Turned off the TV and wandered into the kitchen. Have some bananas that are getting ripe... and some walnuts. Maybe I'll make some banana bread today.  




Don't know about you, but there are times when I need to feel 'normal' (new normal, old normal, any kind of normal).  A hair cut might help, but even though the places are open again, I'm not ready to re-enter that scene.

With racial unrest, protests, the pandemic, and now hurricane season starting... if we don't find time to step back and find time to assimilate and readjust, it's possible we could lose our 'joie de vie'.




So, hopefully you will find a way to keep your joy of life through these strange days. We are all different and must find our own paths...  and maybe our postings will help another in some small way. (I found these posters on Pinterest - an interesting site. if you've never checked it out, you might enjoy it.) 

Thanks for coming by. Wish I could offer you tea or coffee... but then, I can't even do that for family and friends these days.

Hugs,
Rian






16 comments:

  1. I always love to visit your blog and see what gentle thoughts you are sharing today. This was no exception. I know if we lived within walking distance from one another that we would be fast friends. We are anyway, thanks to the miracle of the internet. Hugs back to you, Rian! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be fun, DJan... if we could actually have coffee together? Well, this is the next best thing, I guess. It feels like we will never get out of the house or travel again. It's definitely going to take time.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely get comfort when I read your blog. Today was the poster of being productive to deal with emotional distress. I try to do that most days, but the gentle reminder of needing to unplug is good too.

    Congratulations to your granddaughter! I'm so glad you were able to see the ceremony. Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, that certainly makes me feel good... especially when it seems like I have so little to say. And yes, we were so happy that they streamed our grand daughter's graduation... didn't know they would do that (part of the new normal I guess).
      I do try to find something productive to do each day... so that I feel that I've accomplished a little something... even if it's just a mundane chore.
      And as for 'unplugging' - wouldn't it be nice if we could unplug 2020 and start over?

      Delete
  3. Things can get a bit much at the moment, I'll agree with you but I tend not to watch too much news or read about things at least then I only get snatches of it all. I find that going to the work room and making things rewarding and takes my mind of other things. Like you I ache. I've given up taking pills as they really don't do any good. Some days I'm not bad and others I am crippled but I guess at 74 I can't be the person I was.
    All the time I am able to hold a hook or needle I will be happy.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things have changed a lot in our 74/75 years, Briony. Perhaps they don't change fast enough for some... but they have changed. And when it comes to technology, the speed at which it changes is unbelievable and sometimes hard to keep up with. But age has it's difficulties too - aches and pains seems to come with old bones.

      Delete
  4. Congrats to your granddaughter and how nice you were able to watch the ceremony safely at home with a great view. Such a lovely girl.
    Like the idea of unplugging and just idling for a bit. Lately it seems we have been on fast forward with all the catastrophic events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it strange that we feel so on edge even though we're basically staying at home? Guess it's not knowing what's around the corner...

      Delete
  5. How nice that you could view the graduation live and yet in comfort!
    One of the things I most appreciate about chez moi in Florida is the way the rising morning sun shines in through the east facing windows. It "travels" the length of the front of the house so I delight in discovering where it will be as days go by. I loved this even before the pandemic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga, our house faces east also... so when the sun comes in the front window, it shines a glow on all my little critters on the shelf in that area. Neat!

      Delete
  6. You have such a pretty granddaughter. Glad you could see her graduation, even if not in person. We have totally stopped watching the news on TV. It gets to be too much; too depressing. I enjoyed catching up with your post...I like the story of your granddaughter and the fish. She is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henny, we have 2 grand daughters (18 & 7) and 2 grandsons (21 and 13). The 7 year old keeps us all laughing. She comes up with the funniest things... and since her dad is curator at a zoo, she is fascinated by every type of critter.

      Delete
  7. How nice you were able to watch the graduation.
    I've "unfriended" the news pretty much, myself. I hope that doesn't leave me to badly uninformed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's only so much 'news' one can take.

      Delete
  8. awwww, so many smiles as i read your words, you have much wisdom to offer!! these graduations have been amazing for the kids who thought they would not have one. it is amazing, events these kids will appreciate more and never forget!! i don't remember my hs graduation being that important to me!!!

    i LOVE pinterest, and the posters you shared are great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I don't remember my high school graduation being that important to me either... but these kids will definitely remember theirs.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...