Translate

Friday, June 18, 2021

finally walking in the mall again...



Having espresso and hot chocolate at Eataly in the mall

Our youngest granddaughter came with us to walk in the mall this past week. We stopped in at Eataly's so I could get an espresso con panna in their coffee shop. (I love good espresso and don't find it in many places) Granddaughter had hot chocolate and DH had black coffee...


She was impressed with the large wheels of cheese

There are so many displays of food that it's fascinating to walk through this place. There were even larger wheels of cheese on the other side of this counter... and rows and rows of pastas... and breads... and chocolate!  We ended up buying some of their home-made pizza and taking it home for lunch. I got cheese and DH got salami - but the proper names were: Quattro Formaggi and (I forget the other?).


DH and granddaugher by fountain


Next time we go I want to take home one of the home-made pasta dishes... 


******************************


new cat doormat


We saw this doormat online not too long ago... and thought it perfect for our front porch. The black feral cats are usually hanging around the porch or walkway all the time anyway - might as well let them know they're welcome. 


*************************************


Started this post Thursday - and now it's Friday morning about 4 am. Went to sleep at 10, so did sleep about 6 hours pretty well, but decided to get up, have a cup of tea and a piece of toast and maybe go back to bed in an hour or so. 

We need to run some errands this morning... pick up my print-out from the Physical Therapist for exercises I'm needing to do to strengthen my core, stop by Walmart to get some things that weren't available on our curb side order, and get a cheesecake from Central Market for DH's Father's Day. And if the weather isn't too hot, we need to start using that pressure sprayer to clean the windows and back porch. 

I find it hard to believe that we are in the middle of June already. And I am worried about the increasing heat. Our Texas power grid is not up to these extremes in weather. It should be... but it isn't... even though our governor is trying to say it is fine. It isn't. After what happened during the Arctic freeze we experienced this winter, nothing has been done (as far as I know)...  just talk. Now they're advising us to conserve energy as it's getting close to the limit already and it's only June

And although the pandemic seems to be (how do I put it) being 'held at bay' possibly due to the vaccines, it's still out there - with variants threatening. So, even though many (including myself on a limited level) are loosening up on what we do, I don't think we can stop being vigilant... not yet. If another wave comes due to variants or people dropping their guard too soon, we could be in big trouble... (and all we've gained could be lost). 

OK... it's now 5 am, guess I should think about going back to bed.  Thanks for listening to me ramble on - and have a wonderful Father's Day weekend!

Oh... thought I'd add this on here. It's now Friday afternoon and I did go back to bed and slept until 8. And we've now finished all our running errands. 

Thought I'd leave a pic and a video of the game I've been playing since the pandemic started. I've mentioned it before I know. It's called Animal Crossing and is on Nintendo's Switch. Anyway, my granddaughter is now addicted to it too. So I gave her a character on my Switch to work with until she gets her own game (which I may give her sometime this summer). 

Anyway, here is a picture of one of my characters on the island... and a short video of her in front of her house on the island. I wanted to do a video of her swimming in the ocean, but hard to handle the camera and the Switch controls at the same time. 


Nintendo Switch 's Animal Crossing








Hugs (virtual),
Rian 


16 comments:

  1. I believe science will stay ahead of the virus this time.
    What fun to take a grand walking the mall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne! Yes, it really was nice to be out and about... (although still masked). And I'm a big believer in science, but not so much in people these days.

      Delete
  2. So glad you got out for the Mall Walk with the Precious One. A good Espresso is hard to find! We too are remaining vigilant about this Virus and these record breaking Heat waves are coming very early and are concerning here in Arizona too. So many Wildfires flaring up, so much drought, our power grid is up to par here, but the Heat Advisories tell everyone how dangerous it is for all living things. Glad at this new Home we have a Pool, the water is like Bath Water due to the Heat, but it's still refreshing to take a plunge when it just gets to be too much out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mall walk was fun... and one we will repeat as it is too hot to walk outside these days. As for the virus, I'm hoping and praying that we are gaining a little more control, but afraid to be too optimistic. Enjoy your pool! I'm not a swimmer, but even sitting with my feet in a pool these days sounds wonderful!

      Delete
  3. You have great food choices in your mall! Not so much here. LOL.

    What a treat to do something "normal" again. Our province went into phase 1 on June 11, which meant that non-essential shopping could take place at 25% capacity. I went into Dollarama for a few things I'd needed and wanted but that weren't considered "essential", and was giddy walking up and down the aisles. I spent over $85 CDN, stocking up on stuff in case we end up in a lockdown again!

    I'm not as optimistic as Joanne about staying ahead of the virus variants. Science might be able to, but our political system (especially thinking provincially) can't. I don't believe for one minute that the premier and his cabinet members have learned one. d*mn. thing. after 15+ months. So yes, do take care! I read in our (Canadian) news that a fully vaccinated patient in a Calgary hospital died of the Delta variant. He was 80, went in for something else, got the variant IN the hospital. SO sad. The vaccinations can and will do a lot, but they're not foolproof.

    As for your expected heatwaves through the summer and possible power outages: Do you have a generator? I think about it even for my little townhouse, every time I see a Generac ad come on TV. Might be worth looking into.

    Take care, have a terrific weekend and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food at Eataly's is really fabulous... to eat or just to look at. I'm fascinated at all the varieties of things offered. And I know what you mean about 'stocking up' just in case. We have gotten away from that lately - thinking (hoping) things are getting better. But I'm afraid to be optimistic too. Things could change - and I'm not sure people could handle too much more.
      And yes, we are looking for a full house generator (which may be way too expensive - but we're checking it out). However, everyone else in Texas is doing the same since we don't trust the grid... so, we can't even get an appointment to talk about it until next month.

      Delete
  4. I started reading this Friday afternoon and went to bed before I finished. Now it's Saturday morning, Juneteenth, and I just finished. We were in similar states for this post, which I enjoyed tremendously! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know how it is, DJan. I start one thing, get tired... and go on to another. It's amazing how even in retirement, we can't get it all done. Of course I'm learning that it's a bit more difficult to do in my 70's (DH and I will both be 76 next month).

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed getting caught up with you. We cannot go into malls (only stores with street frontage are allowed to open), so it was fun to see what you were seeing. Those giant wheels of cheese would have attracted my husband. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking around the mall and viewing the interesting things in Eataly was a treat. We will do it again and I will try to take more pics to share. We did notice that although there were fewer people in the mall early in the day, there were a lot more that weren't wearing masks.

      Delete
  6. How nice to do almost normal things again. Was glad to see you were still masked. Me too. We have come too far to blow it now.
    Loved your feral welcome mat though I think they all ready know they are welcome.
    I have not gotten into games but if I do, Animal Crossings is on my list. Looks cute and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that we have come to far to 'blow it' now... and I'm not sure how people would react if things got really bad again. Seems we are a spoiled lot who have a hard time giving up things for the greater good (IMO anyway).
      We love our cat mat too! As for the game, I'm not a 'gamer' (don't even do cards)... BUT this game amuses my creativity in creating my island just as I would virtually like to live... and the detail that they have put into it amazes me too... I can swim in the ocean, take a flight to another island, visit inside other houses on the island or on a friend's island, etc. My grandson (21) has been doing gaming all his young life and got me into this. He knows I would never go for the 'action' games, but thought I'd enjoy this one. He was right.

      Delete
  7. So happy to hear you were able to get out walking and spending time with your youngest granddaughter. I'll be seeing my grandson next weekend - they're so much fun.

    Like you, I'm still hesitant about the new variants. I suspect it will be awhile before I truly feel comfortable in the presence of a large group of people. I was walking the other day and automatically went to cross the street as I came towards a fellow walking in my direction. He did the same and we both laughed and shook our heads.

    Good luck with the generator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My granddaughter is a little doll. She is such fun to be with. But I will say that she is like the ever-ready bunny and never stops! She may look calm and collected, but she is buzzing with imagination inside and her thoughts and questions constantly amaze me. I enjoy her so much, but am exhausted physically and mentally when she leaves.
      As for your crossing the street when encountering another, we all do that here too... when walking the neighborhood. No one thinks anything of it... kind of expected and appreciated. (weird tho...)

      Delete
  8. Shopping with a grandchild in the mall is welcomed departure from lockdown. Hope the conditions keep improving in your area and heat waves abate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't been in lockdown in a while... except self-imposed on our own part. But yes, walking in the mall with a grandchild has been a welcome departure from all the isolation. We are making it a weekly outing to walk and stop for coffee and/or hot chocolate... and talk. She is 8 now and definitely has a lot to say.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...