Translate

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Getting through August in Texas...


I was looking through some photos this morning and came across this one. My first thought was.. "Wow! I wish I was there right now".  This is a secluded beach on Maui.  Our son took this shot when they were there this summer.  I've never been to Maui, but I have been to Oahu... and they have some pretty darn nice secluded beaches there too. I guess it's these hot August days in Texas that makes this beach seem even more inviting...

When people mention 'beaches'... one tends to think of crowded acres of sand with bodies lounging everywhere. Not me. I love the water... but prefer no people around... just the gentle lapping of the waves and the clean scent of ocean air. To walk on the beach in silence or to sit and have a cup of coffee by the water at either the beginning or the end of the day - that's pretty close to perfect for me.

It is now Thursday morning... and believe it or not, it was 76 F here this morning. It won't last, but hey, I'll take it!

Now I'm going to add a few more pics of our completed guest room. We got the bench in yesterday. I think the room looks comfortable... and when DH's brother was here, they said it was. But daughter will be here in a few weeks... and she will give us her honest opinion.






the new bench


The grey mini-blinds may have to be replaced. They are 37 years old. Or I could possibly put some blue or grey semi-sheers over them so they wouldn't be so obvious...  And maybe I could fine something suitable in a long board with some saying on it for behind the bed's headboard. We'll see.

And I don't know if you were aware of it, but yesterday was supposedly National Black Cat Day!  So here's a pic I took off of Facebook that actually looks a lot like our BK...


He even has the little white hairs
 on his chest like our BK!

Isn't he a beautiful cat?

And I'll leave with this: (because it made me laugh)





Hugs (virtual),
Rian






24 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE that cute picture of the two villains in that last picture. And getting through August in Texas has to be a real chore. Never fear, cooler weather will soon be here. And there, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rian I haven't been to the beach since 1997, but I'd sure love to go to that one in your first picture! I think your guest room looks awesome, I love the bedspread. And it took me a moment or two with that final picture in the closet. Too funny! 😄😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, I grew up near Lake Pontchartrain, the Mississippi river, and the Gulf... so I really miss being around the water. Just need to get my water fix in ever so often I guess.

      Delete
  3. I laughed out loud when I saw the kittens in the closet. It took a few seconds to actually spot them!
    Oh my, I'm not sure I could make through a summer in Texas. We've been getting into the low 80's for about a week now and that's plenty hot enough for me. I guess it is all relative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summers shouldn't be spent in Texas... as much as I like Texas, one should find somewhere cooler to spend their summers.

      Delete
  4. Your guest room is fabulous. Your guest room closet needs work. Kittens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. We've spent 54 years with kittens/cats in closets, drawers, bookcases, etc. We do miss them... but still not ready...

      Delete
  5. We have had a break in the heat this week. Isn't it wonderful? I find mid eighties comfortable now days but I know you have been even hotter that we have been. So glad you got some relief.
    Love that panther pick and those two in the closet are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our “guest room” often ends up being a storage room ( or sometimes gets called the junk room over the years). Yours looks positively wonderful! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, ours was just like yours for many years... had become the storage/junk room until we needed a reason to restore it back to a guest room. It just took a little motivation.

      Delete
  7. We like the same beach. We went to Maine one summer. It was really cold. We wore jeans and sweatshirts and had the beach to ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summer I spent in Maine in 2000 changed my life. I love Maine... and their beaches.

      Delete
  8. I miss the empty beaches of the south shore of Nova Scotia, in the fall, after tourist season. Like you, I prefer that no one else be around, and I love to walk along and "beachcomb," wade through the water, etc. I'm not much for sitting still! :-D

    Your guest room looks terrific! Careful, guests might not want to leave. LOL.

    I love that last cute pic, made me laugh too. Take care and keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I think Nova Scotia could very well be on my "bucket list"... if I had a bucket list. Walking, wading, and beachcombing is a wonderful past-time.

      Delete
  9. the cat meme is hysterical!! if i were you, i would replace the blinds with a grass, textured blind. they are so pretty, reasonably priced and it looks like you only have one window. sheers or any kind of curtain just collect dust. i like simple, an uncluttered look. a decorator will always put drapes or sheers over blinds, not a look i love. in my guest bedroom, i just have a shade. the room looks pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about curtains collecting dust and eventually rot in the sun whereas blinds, shades, or shutters last almost forever. And I too like a simple uncluttered look.

      Delete
  10. http://itsallaboutpurple-debbie.blogspot.com/p/nest.html (look at the 6th picture, that's what i am talking about)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hawaii is rather warm right now... at least on Oahu it is. However, the trade winds really help. I wish you could come to Hawaii some day. Right now, it's rather spooky with COVID though. Then again, we've traveled and wore N95s almost the entire time and were OK. Your guest room is lovely and looks very comfortable, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kay, I would love to get back to Hawaii some day. My son and his wife miss it too... and I have a friend from our pottery group that moved to the Big Island a few years ago. But I doubt it will happen. DH doesn't really like to travel... and with Covid, well... it just makes it less inviting. But we do wear our masks when out and about and so far, we have been OK too. So glad you both stayed well when traveling! Enjoyed following your trip with you.

      Delete
  12. I know there are plenty of beaches in Texas, I guess just not near you. We're headed to the beach in Sept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're pretty north, Tom. But you are right, there are beaches on the Texas coast... just don't get a chance to go there much.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...