Translate

Monday, July 14, 2014

visiting a friend... quilting, and cats



old fashion stove in tool shed


Hello everyone! Just wanted you to see this old fashion stove in my friend's tool shed. I spent a few days this week working on my quilted valence at her place.  This picture is of the large work shed where their cats and kittens are fed.


You can see the 2 mama cats and their 6 kittens.
One is fond of sleeping under the 4-wheeler...








As I said previously, we worked hard cutting and piecing together the squares I would need to make the quilted valence. Although we didn't finish, we did get most of the basic work done. We will need to add one more row of squares at the bottom (as it wasn't quite deep enough when I took it home and checked it out), and then stuff it, quilt it, and put a border on.

Here's what we have so far...


The 2 valences are lying on a green cutting mat.  Eventually it will have a brown border that matches the one on the bed quilt.

And since my friend is a quilting addict, I thought I'd share a few of the many quilts in varying stages of completion around her house. She appliques on them also.










This is her Texas quilt she has hung up on a wall. You can't see all the little applique areas, but they're there.

close-up of applique butterflies




The next one is a baby quilt she made recently. The giraffe has tiny tuffs of black hair... so cute!




And there are several more:

log cabin pattern

close up of log cabin pattern

Christmas tree

My favorite pattern is the log cabin one.  I had planned to use that pattern until I saw the one we ended up making hanging up in a quilt shop.  But I still love the log cabin and if we ever make another, it definitely will be that.

That's about all I have to post today. I've been out of the house most of this week and have fallen behind in my reading and commenting, but I will try to catch up soon.  Rose, one of our old cats (21+) is limping on her right rear leg. We're watching her and it seems to be getting better. She jumps down from our kitchen counter and at her age she may have aggravated an old injury.  When she was an outside cat (one of those that show up in our yard) she broke her leg and we had to take her to the Vet to have it set and cast (that's when she became an inside cat). Anyway, she seems to be doing a little better this morning... putting a little weight on it... and not hopping about so much.

So I'll leave you with a pic of Rose and my new *grabber* I found at Walmart (which helps me get things that fall behind the washing machine)... and a few pics of Tux and Julie with grand daughter's dinosaur that she dragged into the kitchen.

Rose and grabber




















Have a good week!
(Oh, I forgot to mention, my friend had made a great granola recipe that I sampled while visiting... and have since made it here at home for DH and me (Tux liked it too!).  It's mostly oats and nuts, but you can add dried fruit if you like. I like it without the fruit as it stays crunchy longer. Anyway, I will post it later in the week.)







11 comments:

  1. That's some mighty fine piecing on your valence. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. I'm pretty much a novice, but getting a little more comfortable with it.

      Delete
  2. Your valance looks great. I love your friend's quilts as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does beautiful work. I'll never be that skilled... or probably that motivated.

      Delete
  3. Those are simply wonderful quilts. Thanks for the closeups of the cute giraffe with hair, and the butterflies! Your friend is very talented, as are you. Nice pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. Those were only a handful of the ones she's done or is working on. Glad you enjoyed them. I too love the little tuff of hair on the baby giraffe's head.

      Delete
  4. Your friend is a wonderful quilter just like you.. it must be fun to quilt together ...all the cats look happy and relaxed. I am behind on my blogging and visiting also...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend is a wonderful quilter... and a good instructor. However, we have been friends for a long time and I enjoy anything we do together.
      As for the cats, Rose wasn't too relaxed with that grabber thing coming close to her...

      Delete
  5. Those are beautiful quilts----especially the Texas quilt. Wish I had the patience and skill to do quilting but it's just too much of a long term commitment for me. Not to mention that my piecing and quilting ventures have never turned out too well-----all mismatched seams and huge, clumsy stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I'm not a good quilter either. But I love quilts and this is the way to get them... make them yourself or work together with someone who knows what they're doing. There's something about them... could be all the time and friendship that goes into the stitches.

      Delete
  6. Gosh, what wonderful work - shape, colour and pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...