Translate

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Am I crazy? (probably)



I've never been able to have many plants in the house... mainly because we always had inside cats who loved to chew on them. Recently I bought a Maidenhair fern and put it in my front room window. It's out of the direct sun, but still gets light. She started off as a small 4 inch potted plant, and then I bought her a larger pot and started talking to her. (I know... crazy cat lady becomes crazy plant lady)

But I have to say that she seems to like it. She's doing quite well. Here's a picture. She still isn't very large, but looks healthy and happy. Don't you think?



and now the interesting part... DH and I were at Central Market getting groceries during Hatch Pepper Week (big thing here in Texas). They roast the peppers and sell them fresh, roasted, and in every item you can imagine. I've even seen Hatch Pepper ice-cream.  We like the mild form and do buy the HP cheese, HP sauce (great with chicken), and even tried the HP brownies once. Anyway, I digress...

This week they also had the actual Hatch Pepper plants on sale. Since my daughter-in-law loves peppers (even Jalapeno and Ghost peppers) and has a pretty neat garden, we thought it a good idea to get her one of those plants for her birthday that is coming up in a few weeks.

Anyway, I sat the Hatch Pepper plant in the front room on the same windowsill as my Maidenhair fern. It's only been a few days, but I have been in there once or twice watering and talking to these two plants. They both look well and happy. But I now have a dilemma. I think they have 'bonded'.... and now don't know if I can separate them. Crazy, yes? 




Look closely...
think they are reaching out to each other


I don't want my Maidenhair fern to go into mourning at the loss of her friend.  I know people will say that plants don't do this... but I'm not so sure. Thinking I may have to buy another  Hatch Pepper plant to give to our daughter-in-law and let this one remain here on the windowsill. What do you think? 


Hugs (virtual),

Rian

(Sometimes my mind goes to strange places... but my imagination keeps me happy... and constantly wondering)


26 comments:

  1. My immediate reaction was, "Oh, look, they are holding hands!" I'm not going to call you crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga. That was my first thought too.

      Delete
  2. I vote to leave them together. I believe that EVERYTHING is Energy, so as far as I'm concerned, it's quite possible they've "bonded" in their plant way. And even if that's not the case, both plants seem to like the location and the light! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I tend to believe that all life is similar in some ways... and I respect that. Can plants become friends? I don't know, but just in case... I'm keeping them together.

      Delete
  3. Oh Rian, do not separate the two friends, they are happy and content. That is fine that you talk to Fern, sometimes when I read the Bible and my pup watches me, I read it out loud to him. We all have our quirks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, I'm not sure it's quirks... I think it's more... something that tells us that there's more to life than we understand or are willing to admit (but I'll take quirks).

      Delete
  4. They look very happy together! Why not buy another for your DIL and let the friendship continue? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already done... and from these comments, the vote is in!

      Delete
  5. Rian, I read the first half with a pleasant interest, then the second half and you really made me smile! You have a good heart and I never considered the possibility of houseplants bonding! This made my day and I vote to keep them together :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I just said in the previous comment, I think the vote is in to keep them together. And I'm surprised that no one (so far) has given me the crazy vote. But don't you just love it when someone brings up something you've never thought of (like bonding plants)?

      Delete
    2. Yes! I do! And you're an original!

      Delete
  6. Add me to the popular vote.
    And snap. I am not good with houseplants and the cats have often wreaked havoc on those we have (including an expensive orchid we had bought as a gift for a friend).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done, EC! And I understand about the cats and plants. When family would send flowers for birthdays or holidays, we had to hide them in the bathroom so the cats couldn't get to them.

      Delete
    2. We learnt. After replacing the orchid for our friend.

      Delete
  7. I've heard that it's beneficial to plants to group them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my Maiden fern and the original Hatch Pepper plant are doing well...on their own. I made sure to put the 2nd HP plant on another sill... didn't want to tempt fate... in case the fern liked him too.

      Delete
  8. You definitely need a replacement pepper plant for your daughter's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went out and bought another HP plant today. Put him on a separate shelf... and daughter-in-law will pick up new one tomorrow when she picks up granddaughter!

      Delete
  9. Very observant! If the world only treated humans as well as we do our plants...Good plan. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get her another one. These two are bonded already, definitely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done... and gave it to her today so my plants wouldn't get attached.

      Delete
  11. I envy you your indoor plants. We live six months in Seattle and six months in Tucson, so there's no one to care for them when we're gone from either place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I only have the 2 indoor plants... but I have to say that I envy the fact that you get to live in 2 different places. If I had a choice, I'd love to spend my summers in Maine... and with only 2 plants... they could come with.

      Delete
  12. this was fun...very fun!! i am not sure plants form friendships or bonds but it is not totally out of the realm of thinking!! both plants look healthy and happy, i think maybe they balance each other out and should stay together!! i envy your window sills, i don't have one's large enough to accommodate plants!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My windowsills accommodated cats for many years... now they are taking on a few plants. These two (Mary Maidenfern & Hatch Pepper) are doing very well so far.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...