Translate

Sunday, March 19, 2017

a few more Hill Country pics... and 2 questions

my friend sitting on porch


Sitting on the wrap around porch in the morning and evening was very pleasant... there's always a cool breeze blowing.  The dogs and chickens usually sat with us. 

view from porch to the stables








... more views
chicken shadows


 and a few pics that I forgot yesterday:


Das Peach Haus in Fredericksburg




and the Magnolia Silo Market in Waco, Texas.  We tried to get in there as we both watch Fixer Upper on TV with Joann and Chip, but with Spring Break it was just too crowded. There were cars and people everywhere... so we just drove by and took a pic of the Silos on our way home. 




If you aren't familiar with Fixer Upper and Joann and Chip, they have basically put Waco, Texas on the map. Google Magnolia Market at the Silos and it will explain it all.

And I have a question... we often find this flower on my daughter's property and don't know what it is. Looks kind of like a violet - of some sort?




What do you think? 

Oh, another thing... DH came home with the movie, "Arrival" on DVD yesterday evening (he does this when there's nothing good on TV that night).  Anyway, we watched it and it was interesting (to say the least)... and a bit confusing. I told him that I needed to watch it again today to see if I understood what it was saying. 

So... if any of you have seen it, this is what I got:
The language expert (a woman) starts off the show saying that it all started when THEY arrived. She and the Scientist are helping humans try to communicate with the newly arrived Alien ships. During the time they are trying to learn their language, she has visions/dreams(?) of a birth, a young child, and that child dying.

As it turns out, she finally determines that they are giving humans *a gift*... and in return will need humans to help them in 3000 years. The gift is their own  language... (they explain in the movie that language in general does something to the brain - and determines how you think).  The Alien language is not vocal/spoken and maybe because of the way it uses the brain, looks at time differently and allows one to know the future. They give this gift to the language expert (the woman)... and it is given in 12 parts (one part from each of 12 Alien ships that have landed all over the world). It is given this way to let humans know that the whole world must work together/co-operate. Once the gift is given, the ships disappear.

If anyone else has seen this movie, I would love to know if this is even close to what you got.









14 comments:

  1. I don't know the movie or the flower, though I would guess you're correct in that the flower is some sort of violet.

    I've watched 'Fixer Upper'! Too bad you weren't able to get in, but I can imagine the place would be a zoo. She does wonderful design work. Not my personal style, but gorgeous. I'm a bit more transitional to modern in my tastes, but I don't think I've disliked anything they've done! I find Chip a bit hard to take, though, haven't watched the show in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I don't watch Fixer Upper on a regular basis, but have watched it and yes, they do a good job... and yes, Chip is quite a character, but it does make the show even more interesting.

      Delete
  2. Not sure of either but love Chip and Joanna and the hill country, spring is in the air

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring was definitely in the air! (which made it all the more fun)

      Delete
  3. I need to see the movie again, too. I got pretty much the same stuff you did, but rather than "seeing" the future, I got that there is no actual past, present and future, it all happens outside of linear time. Her gift, as I saw it, was learning the arc of her entire life all at once. I'll definitely see it again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, DJan, I understood it a little better the second time round. And you may be right about the gift being looking at time differently. I also found it fascinating as to how language affects how our minds work. I've heard this before, but never actually understood it (not that I do now, but I may need to research this a bit more).

      Delete
  4. That's too bad that the Silos were too crowded. I'd be curious what the prices are like! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Jenn, we will try again... not on a weekend and definitely not on Spring Break.

      Delete
  5. I've not seen the movie but plan too. I enjoy Chip & JoAnna and hope the new HGTV show starting on Tue will be a hit also. It's called Home Town and is filmed in Laurel, MS. Great couple who renovate old homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of "Home Town", but will check it out.

      Delete
  6. I've no idea what the flower is but thought perhaps it might be some sort of wild ladyslipper though it doesn't have the petals I would expect. Perhaps a garden centre near your daughter's home would be able to tell you.

    I'm not a big movie fan (short attention span) and I have to say that particular movie sounds a bit deep for me. I think the last movie I watched was "The Help".

    Lovely vistas from the porch! I would like to visit the Silos as well - I quite like JoAnna sense of style and love how she handles Chip.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Chip is a handful, but JoAnna does handle him well.

      Delete
  7. Arrival completely confused me. I left the movie theater wondering what the movie was about other than a woman who could understand aliens. Maybe I need to watch it again also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there was a lot more to the movie than some saw... but yes, watching it the second time helped a lot for me.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...