Translate

Friday, October 13, 2017

paraprosdokians... and finished pieces

Have you ever heard of "paraprosdokians"? I hadn't. My cousin sent me a few in an email. Apparently they are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and frequently humorous. (Supposedly Winston Churchill loved them)

Here are a few:

1. Where there's a will... I want to be in it.
2. If I agreed with you... then we'd both be wrong.
3. We never really grow up...we only learn how to act in public.
4. War is not to determine who is right... only who is left.
5. You do not need a parachute to skydive... you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

I thought these were pretty good.

Now... I finished my gray kitty (based on our Ghost) and my red fox. Here are pictures of the finished pieces.


gray kitty





red fox



Today I'm working on underglazing mama chicken with her chicks... and a few others. Stretching kitty and lounging kitty are still in kiln.  Hopefully they will emerge without incident. Small pieces with thin extremities tend to get broken easily during firing. And I've a new piece (kitty hanging over cup) that is awaiting kiln time.

This next is a new greenware piece I'm working on... not sure what I'm going to do with it (just put mama chicken's chicks inside until I decide). May put a seagull on it... and/or some fishing gear?



 

 
Oh! Exciting news! Just got a round trip flight to New Orleans for $87!!  How about that? Southwest has these specials off and on all year round, but few get under $100. I keep an eye out for them... and try to scoop them up when they become available. That way I can afford to visit family there and get my N.O. cafe au'lait and beignet fix. Usually almost all seats are sold out on the first day, but luckily I found one. Let's just hope that hurricane season is over (it's not officially over... but gesh, it should be).

And look! My red peppers are turning...



 

and we got this picture yesterday of our pretty black feral that stays in the front of our house... (he's starting to get his winter coat)





Have a great weekend! And as always, thanks for dropping by...















21 comments:

  1. Hi Rian - love your pottery. I have the little fox you sent me on my kitchen window-sill.:) Your feral is very handsome. Hope he stays warm all winter with that lovely coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, the front yard feral's coat and tail get very long and thick in the winter. Makes him look twice his actual size. And so happy to hear that my little fox found a home on your windowsill.

      Delete
  2. Love both the little kitten and the fox, and I popped back to your last post for the chicks and hens. Very cute!

    Hope the feral makes it through the winter...I would Mr. Coyote would prefer he didn't. :(
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Front yard feral is pretty smart. He spends a lot of the nights (when the coyotes come out - mostly) up in the tree on the front lawn.

      Delete
  3. Love your hobby and all the cute figurines you are making.
    That black cat looks like the perfect Halloween decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Olga. With our Halloween pumpkin out front and the black cats that hang around the front porch, we are naturally decorated for Halloween.

      Delete
  4. Never heard of those sayings, interesting. Ha. I have been meaning to check out those cheap flights but never seem to have it together. Need to get more organized I guess. Love your critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm very lucky that I was able to get one of those cheap flights. I'll have to email you to see how we can initiate a swap.

      Delete
  5. I love Grey Kitty and Red Fox. Just wondering how long it takes you to sculpt one of your little critters... The para-what-evers are fun, but trueisms (no such word) too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chip, I can sculpt a chicken pretty quick - depending on what I have in mind... maybe 15 mins, but the drying (3 days), underglazing (3 coats with drying inbetween),firings(2), and blackbirding... makes it a week or so to actually finish one. The other critters take longer to sculpt - with me sometimes leaving it for a day and going back to work on it another day.

      Delete
  6. I hadn't heard that word before, either, but yes, those are good!

    I love your sleeping cat and the fox, they're wonderful. And a round trip flight (anywhere) for $87?! Boy, are we scr*wed in Canada (pardon the expression) when it comes to airfare (among other things, like cell phone plans/rates).

    The feral cat looks good, I'm sure thanks to you for taking care of him/them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we don't see those flight fares very often either... but when we do, we have to jump on them.
      And yes, Pretty Boy looks great with his winter coat.

      Delete
  7. Love the gray kitty, and that red pepper looks wonderful! I never heard of a round trip ticket for that price, so congratulations! And your pretty feral does look very healthy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red peppers did well. It's just a matter of whether they will turn before the bugs or heat get them.

      Delete
  8. Those are sweet little pottery pieces. That fluffy black cat is handsome! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I just love the little gray kitty and the fox. Much cuter than anything you can find in a store. I've never heard that para---word before, but those are fun to read. The red pepper is so pretty! I did not have much luck with the red peppers this year. That is a beautiful black cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Henny. They are definitely one of a kind. Some of the other potters use molds which is perfectly fine, but not as much fun as sculpting to me.

      Delete
  10. I like your sculptures, that fox is pretty and I have a grey kitty too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...