Translate

Sunday, November 12, 2017

a quick trip home...


Cousins at Mr. Ed's in New Orleans


Just spent a week down in New Orleans visiting family and friends.  I had a wonderful time with my cousins (we are the older generation now).

I basically ate my way through the week. Fantastic food! The two things I miss most about my home-town: family and the food. Let's see - while I was there, I had a fried catfish po-boy,  a roast beef po-boy, red beans and rice, blackened catfish with angel hair pasta and garlic cream sauce, cafe au'lait, beignets, and brought home Angelo Brocato's authentic sesame seed cookies! DH and I love these cookies!



Italian seed cookies




One of my cousins picked me up at the airport and three of us went out to lunch together the next day at a local restaurant that is very New Orleans... in a little neighborhood right off Canal St. and Carrollton Ave. The name of the restaurant is Katie's.... and the food was fantastic. This is where I had my fried catfish po-boy. 


Katie's


From there we went down the street a bit to Angelo Brocato's Italian Bakery (which is also an icon - think that's the right word) in New Orleans. There we had delicious fresh cafe au'lait. I had an Italian sesame seed cookie with mine while my cousins had spumoni ice-cream. Perfect! 


Cousins Darnell and Barbara




The blackened catfish with angel hair pasta was at New Orleans Food and Spirits on the old Hammond Hwy close to the Lakefront. We've been there before and it's always good. Good gumbo too. And the roast beef po-boy and red beans was at Mr. Ed's - another local neighborhood find.... (which I will definitely return to). It was in Bucktown.


S-I-L and Cousin at New Orleans Food and Spirits on Old Hammond Hwy


DH loves real authentic roast beef po-boys. I'd never had one. I always go for oyster po-boy or fried catfish po-boys. So I thought I'd try one. It was great!! Messy, but great! Wonderful juicy tender roast beef with gravy and crispy delicious french bread. I will get it again. And of course I had to have red beans and rice. However, it's not easy to find red beans and rice in New Orleans unless it's a Monday. Tradition again. But if you google it, it will tell you where it's served only on Monday, and where you can get it on other days.

My college room-mate (at LSUBR 1964) and I spend Friday together... reminiscing... first at Angelo Brocata's for cafe au'lait, then off to City Park to walk. I love City Park... with it's old oak trees, moss, and lagoons. We walked and talked.


City park

Then we went to sit by the lakefront... (lake Ponchatrain)



my friend and the seagulls on the lakefront

We lived very close to the lakefront when I was growing up, so I miss the water... and love to drive or stop by whenever I'm in town.

So that was my week... family, food, and reminiscing!  Now I'm home again in Texas thinking that Thanksgiving and Christmas are both just around the corner. Am I ready? No... but I will be.

The cats were glad to see me. DH says that Tux walked around the house the first few days crying and looking for me. But I'm back 

and he's fine. 


sad Tux


I will also mention that when I fly, I only take an carry-on bag that goes on top and a large quilted bag that fits under the seat. I've always done this as I don't like to check bags. Anyway, what I've noticed lately (now that I'm getting 'up in age') is that picking up that carry-on bag and hoisting it over my head to the overhead luggage compartment is getting a little difficult. If there's a man around, I can always ask for help... but this trip... no one was around but the flight attendant and she was not young herself... and informed me that she had a bad shoulder. I was able to do it, but I know as time moves on, this might not be the case. Oh well, just one of those moments that give one pause...

Have a wonderful week and as always, thanks for visiting!


 

12 comments:

  1. I thought about the luggage, too. I couldn't get a bag overhead anymore. Guess that limits me to one, and it better fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was difficult, but I did it. However, I do wonder about 'next time'.

      Delete
  2. it's easy to get a rotator cuff injury lifting something heavy overhead and you don't want one of those; sounds like a great trip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun trip, Linda. And I have had a rotator cuff injury years ago... from a yoga class. It took forever to heal.

      Delete
  3. I almost always get some help with the bag in the overhead, because I'm afraid I might drop it and end up hurting myself or someone else. It does sound like you ate your way through New Orleans, Rain. I'm glad you are home safe and sound and that Tux and you are both where you belong. Great story and photos! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get help getting my bag 'down'... and for exactly the reason you mentioned, DJan... didn't want it falling on someone's head. The man who took it down even offered to carry it off the plane for me, but I thanked him and told him just to put it on the seat... that I was slow, so I preferred to wait until everyone else got off, then I could take my time getting down the aisle.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a fun trip, and I love seeing family pictures. Tux does look sad. Bet he was glad to see you. Poppy says when I am away, Weetie walks back and forth to the front door, peeping out. I simply can't believe that next week is Thanksgiving! Where do the days and months go??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. And the week passed awfully fast! I too find it hard to believe that Thanksgiving and Christmas are fast approaching.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful trip, lots of catching up with family and friends and wonderful food too.
    New Orleans is a city on my bucket list that I must visit one day. I've yet to have a po'boy but red beans and rice are a definite fave. And I've heard so much about the beignets. Oh yes, I must get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food in New Orleans is fantastic. And po-boys are the best! Of course you have to make sure that you go to a place that does their french bread right... so it's light, hot, and crispy.

      Delete
  6. How nice to spend time with family and friends and the food of the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Olga. We do miss the food of our childhood. I guess it's a comfort.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...