Translate

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Eclipse 2024 !




 

We sat on the front lawn here in Dallas and watched the eclipse. It was awesome! There were a few clouds that came and went, but all in all, we got to see the total eclipse. It got really dark and our streetlights came on. Also the solar hummingbird mobile hanging in the tree suddenly lit up! We took off our eclipse glasses and looked around in the dark saying, Wow, this is really strange... 

I have to admit that I wasn't that hyped up about the event. We've seen other partial ones before. But DH's brother and his wife wanted to come up here from Houston since Dallas was on 'the path'. (People kept saying that this was a historical event, and I'd think... so was the pandemic and that was enough historical for me). But it would give us a chance to get together, so we were all for it. I will say now that we were pretty impressed with what we saw and it is something that I will always remember. The 2 pictures were taken by DH's nephew.

Oh, and here are 2 'funny eclipse' pics that people posted on Facebook:




and


Our company left today to go back home, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to post. We went out to eat several times while they were here,  and I took a few pictures of our meals (which were wonderful).








These hamburgers were both different and both had a fried egg inside (delicious). The fried chicken house salad was wonderful. And the Poblano cheese grits were to die for! (of course I love grits!)

and one more pic of one of our ferals hiding in the high grass in our back (which they love, and DH lets grow for them at Easter, but will cut soon).




Hope you all are having a good week!


Hugs (virtual),

Rian





18 comments:

  1. I wasn't all that excited either. Our house guests changed their minds and I was cleaning closets. But then I decided to go outside and try out my glasses and I was hooked! AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Miss Merry. I didn't expect to be affected, but I was. It WAS awesome!

      Delete
  2. Yes, like you, I wasn't all geared up and raring to go on the eclipse thing. The city was crowing that there might be 250,000 to 300,000 people coming to the viewing since we were right in the middle of the path of the eclipse. All I could see ahead was a bunch of strangers blundering around a small town with 40,000 heedless university students, too many stop signs to count and innumerable one way streets. A recipe for bedlam. Fortunately nowhere near that many people came. The path went right through the middle of Indiana the long way and so people all over could get to a place to see the eclipse easily enough without coming to our town. It was something to see though and I'm glad that we had clear skies to enjoy it. I had checked the weather numerous times leading up to Monday and they kept predicting clouds in the morning and partly cloudy in the afternoon. Instead it was bright blue sky all day long, warm and just about perfect for the viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we did have clouds that came and went, but luckily we got to see the whole event. And the totality with the dark was amazing. As you said, it was really "something to see" and experience.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad that you enjoyed the eclipse - and your house guests. Lovely photos too, all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. husband's nephew's pictures are really good!! i did not see it, it was not visible from my bed. the oreo pic is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't see it, Debbie. Hope you are feeling better. And yes, the oreo pic and the cat pics made me laugh.

      Delete
  5. I have never seen a total eclipse and didn't this time, either. But after hearing what it was like for family who were in the path of totality, I'm thinking I should have made the effort to see it. I won't make it to the next one in 20 years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we won't make the one in 20 years either, DJan, but I have to say it was an unforeseen wonder... and so glad we got to witness it.

      Delete
  6. Hi Rian! I'm sorry my earlier comment never showed up, hope this one takes--loved seeing the wonderful food you guys ate (and I've never enjoyed a fried egg on a hamburger, but you have me tempted to try that now). Loved seeing your feral cat in the grass too--but what surprised me the most here was your total eclipse! In Pittsburgh we got 97% coverage which was CLOSE to blackout, but not quite. I'm jealous! Anyway, glad you made such a special day of it. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Dug, that may have worked as your comment suddenly showed up! And we love a fried egg on hamburgers (also on BLT's known as BELT's). The feral cats love the high grass. And the total eclipse for me was an unforeseen wonder. When it got dark, we were flabbergasted.

      Delete
  7. Yay! I'm so glad you were able to see the totality. We've seen two and been awed by it. We were sorry to miss this one. I'm glad the weather cooperated for you. I love the photo of you all sitting and taking it all in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, this was our first eclipse totality and I have to say we were definitely 'awed'...

      Delete
  8. Your eclipse was much better than ours, it barely got dark here in middle Tennessee.
    What funny memes, they made me smile.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jo, those two memes made me laugh (it always amazes me - the things people think of).

      Delete
  9. Ha ha, I love the cat eclipse!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...