Translate

Monday, December 4, 2017

Christmas tree Poinsettia story... and some finished pottery


There is a story behind our Christmas Tree Poinsettia.  DH's mom passed away at 98 years of age in Louisiana 2 Christmases ago.  The Poinsettias that were used at the Service on the River Road were given to her 4 sons.  Each Christmas since we have added ours to the Christmas tree in her memory. 

This Christmas when I was adding it to the tree, I felt like she was telling me to 'add Mardi Gras beads' to the tree. Although we have drawers full of Mardi Gras beads, I had never thought to do this. So-oo I thought, 'sure, why not?' and I have to say that our tree has never looked so good.



tree not lit
tree lit

and here's a picture of the cats helping with the tree...


Tux and Julie helping with the trimming

Small wildlife tree in Hall (with Julie supervising)






 and last of all, here are a few finished pottery pieces...


my cup kitties (which you may notice look like Tux and Julie)


... and I sold a few more of my Cheeky Chickens this past week. A lady came up to me in the studio and said that she needed more chickens. I was surprised and said, "You have some of my chickens?" To which she replied, "Yes, bought them at last year's clay sale... and I'd like to have a few more".  So... luckily I had some there at the studio. But I have to admit, my stock is getting low and I have 2 more people that want them. Guess I know what I'll be doing over the holidays and next semester.




 


Cheeky

Chickens

Hand-Made & One of a Kind

Lovable little critters that will sit on your shelf

and bring joy to your day!


Be Happy!

  

Also threw a few over-sized mugs:


done with 'spectacular' clay...

and a few new mama chickens...





 
It's only Monday and yet there's so much to do in the next few weeks; Christmas gift shopping, ordering, mailing, Christmas cards to write, decorating, cleaning, baking Christmas cookies, wrapping gifts, getting the house ready for guests, planning and cooking for Christmas dinner, etc.

And if you are like us... trying to get all those last minute doctors appointments in before the end of the year. It's a bit over-whelming, but I try to remember to just take it day by day.  I do love Christmas... 


and wish a wonderful Christmas season to all of you! 






18 comments:

  1. I love your cheeky chickens, too. What a wonderful uplifting post, Rian. I'm glad you found the time to write one for me and your other admirers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. Sitting down for a minute and writing a post is relaxing and a good way to take a break.

      Delete
  2. You're going to be busy with your cute cheeky chickens but I can see why people are attracted to them. Have a lovely lead up to Christmas, as you say, a day at a time will do it.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Diana... a day at a time. I just finished baking a batch of Christmas cookies and have a large pot of chicken and sausage okra gumbo on the stove.

      Delete
  3. well done on the sale of your cheeky chooks, they do look adorable.
    love the mug cats, they're just hanging around waiting for a cuppa!
    you have a good lead up to the holidays too
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mug cats are taken after my 2 black and whites who lay around the house in pretty much the same fashion.

      Delete
  4. beautiful remembrance and the cats have christmas fun too with the ribbons, love those chickens, they do seem to flock together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cats definitely love all the Christmas decorations... and especially the tree. Julie actually loves all decorations. She chewed up the ribbon on my grand daughter's birthday gift the other day! Luckily I caught it and replaced it before her party.

      Delete
  5. All things chicken are very popular around here. Yours are adorable. Be careful or your hobby will become a full time job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No full time jobs! That's a thing of the past. But I do love making the chickens... so as long as I do enjoy it, I'll continue.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful that people are requesting more of your works! We use beads on our tree (not Mardis Gras though). They are long strands of fake pearls and a couple long strands of gold. We use them like garland. I like your tradition with the poinsettia. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used strings of pearls or red wooden beads on the fireplace garland, but had never thought to use mardi gras beads before. I should have - as lots of the trees around Jackson Square in N.O. as well as many of the trees in City Park have mardi gras beads hanging on them...

      Delete
  7. How lovely your tree is! And I can see the cats were a great help with the decorating.

    Your cheeky chickens are so adorable, congrats on selling some! I do love your cup kitties, though! :-)

    Wishing you and your family a joyous holiday season! All the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. Cats are always a great help around the house, don't you think? And if they're not helping, they're supervising.

      Delete
  8. So much to do in so few days, I can only list it out and tic it off. I do love your chickens, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I do too, Joanne. I have a list to do every day on my iPhone and just tic them off when done... (or move them on to the next day if not). Somehow it all gets done eventually.

      Delete
  9. Your tree looks wonderful, Rian. I love the traditional trees and all the ornaments that have been loved for years. Glad the kitties got to add their two cents. :) Those Cheeky Chickens are adorable. Let me know when you have a few on the shelf and I will purchase some. I love the fox you sent me and it has centre stage in my cluttered cupboard. :) Enjoy all that the season holds for us. And take time for YOU, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our tree looks wonderful this year too... the mardi gras beads may have to be a continued tradition. And I'm so glad 'little fox' has found a home in your cupboard. As for the Cheeky Chickens, by early next year their flock will be replenished... (what's that expression? 'if the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise').

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...