Translate

Saturday, March 2, 2024

a new recipe... and a cat pic!

Actually I 'revamped' an old recipe, but it turned out to be a keeper. There 's a story here. I had recently seen a frozen chicken pie at Central Market. It looked good, but was a bit expensive for a home dinner ($15).  Now I know this isn't bad at all if 3 of you are 'eating out' for dinner, but my daily home dinners for the 3 of us just don't cost that much (unless it's a special occasion). 

Anyway, I decided that I could make a chicken pie by simply using my sour cream chicken enchilada recipe (which we all love) and simply add some peas and corn... and put it in a pie shell instead of tortillas. And guess what? It worked well. Here's a pic:





I won't say we liked it better than the enchiladas... but it was a good runner up, and I will use it again. 

While I'm at it, I thought I'd also mention breakfast at our house (I may have mentioned it before, and if so, sorry for the repeat). But breakfast around here is almost always the same. Here's a pic:


granola, sourdough bread, and oatmeal


I make a small bowl of oatmeal with milk and add a handful of granola to it. Then I toast a slice of sourdough bread and lather it with real butter. This is our breakfast almost daily... although occasionally I do the egg and soldiers thing or pecan pancakes.

However, the other day I found this item at the store and thought DH and grandson would like it, so brought it home to try (not gluten-free so not for me). 


These were a big hit with the guys...





And have to close with a pic of one of the ferals in the backyard. This is the one we call Shadow:




He is a handsome sweet boy - and although always close by, he won't let us get too close.  But he's also shy with the other ferals. He will wait out back until the others have all eaten before coming up on the back porch to get his food. However, he isn't shy with the younger cats/kittens and will let them lie next to him in the yard.

That's my news for today. Nothing earth-shattering - just life as I know it. The weather went from 90 F one day to cold and windy the next, now it's 81 F and pretty outside. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

Hugs (virtual),
Rian


18 comments:

  1. Your take on a chicken pot pie looked and sounded delicious, Rian! Nice job! Love the photo of Shadow as well, his eyes are a bit hypnotic, he put me in a trance I think. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does tend to stare at you with sad eyes... and he knows to come to the door and we'll always give him treats or food. He's a handsome boy.

      Delete
  2. Quite a "TASTY" post! LC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken pot pie sounds delicious! My son won't eat it, but my daughter will - and she'll be the one to make it too. :)
    Your young feral is adorable. It's a shame he won't let you near. I'd have a hard time resisting trying to pet him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken enchilada pie turned out well. And the only 'petable' feral is Squeaky... who will let DH pet him - on occasion.

      Delete
  4. Shadow is a fine looking feline. And that new recipe sure looks like it was a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Shadow is a good looking cat... and well behaved, good natured, but still feral. And yes, the enchiliada pie turned out to be a keeper.

      Delete
  5. Shadow is a handsome young man. His cheeks are beginning to fill out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is handsome, Joanne... and yes, he's starting to get his jowls.

      Delete
  6. Shadow is really handsome! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think anything goes when it comes to chicken pot pie. i don't like peas so i never add them. i add potatoes, diced very small because we love them and to make up for the peas. i also add corn and carrots but it is never the same twice. i don't use a recipe!! that cat is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, you're right about anything goes in chicken pot pie. I used my chicken enchilada recipe and it worked great.

      Delete
  8. Shadow is beautiful for a feral. Your breakfast sounds great. We have cereal most mornings just because it's so convenient, but it's probably not very healthy. You really make beautiful crusts, Rian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadow is a good looking cat... and his mournful eyes get me every time. I even dreamt about little gray kittens last night.

      Delete
  9. I have never commented on any blog before. I was attracted to yours because of the cats. We have three and one large Ragdoll visiting. We also feed feral kitties and any other hungry critters that happen by. Bless your heart! I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Thanks for visiting. We've always had several cats (at one time 8 inside ones), but we lost the last 3 (all up in age) in 2020. Now we just take care of the outside feral cats, racoons, possums, etc.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...