Translate

Sunday, February 25, 2018

*drowned rats* enjoy a little sun...





Would like to post this sign in several places around our neighborhood, but it probably would be taken down by those opposed to feral cats. The truth being, feral cats do exist and although we believe in the catch and release program to neuter them, it doesn't happen often enough. But that's no reason to refuse them food, water, or shelter from the cold (IMO)... or harass them with your dogs while walking.

DH and I happen to look out our front window today and with the sun finally out and no rain (we had 8 inches in the last few days), this is what we saw:



4 feral cats sunning themselves out front

We were both happy for them as lately they have looked like 'drowned rats' trying to stay out of the rain.

And my new clay projects... done only for me... and just for fun!  Experimenting with multi-color underglazing:


art brush holder
multi-underglazing
cell phone holder in use
multi-color underglazing

Both of these need to be fired and clear glazed, but I'm looking forward to see how the colors turn out.

And just took our Sunday supper out of the oven. Made Chicken Tetrazzini and a fresh spinach and strawberry salad (with amaretto pecans)!



Chicken Tetrazzini


Hope you all had a wonderful Sunday... and if lucky - a little sunshine!







14 comments:

  1. It was a wonderful Sunday with lots of sunshine. We have a feral cat or two around here, and it just came to me, it is not that expensive to neuter a male cat. I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not that expensive to neuter a male cat. But it is hard to catch them... and please be careful to not get scratched as they aren't vaccinated. I wouldn't want you to have to get the rabies series. DH had to get it once.

      Delete
  2. Poor cats! (And any other critter trying to stay dry.) Eight inches of rain is flood-worthy. We wish you LOTS of sunshine in the days ahead.

    I love your projects, they're great! You're very creative, and I'm always impressed with what you're doing.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today may be our last day of sunshine for a bit, but that's OK. We'll have plenty once spring is finally here. And I hope the winter is over for you too very soon.

      Delete
  3. I like your cellphone holder. The colors are very pretty, and I'm glad your cats are drying out in the sunshine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. I'm not sure if anyone really needs a cell phone holder, but it gave me something to try out my multi-color underglaze on. But the art brush holder should be useful.

      Delete
  4. love your creative paint brush holder I may have to make one of those for my brushes which are all in one container upright. Your drowned rats title reminded me of one year after 5 inches of rain over night, I went outside to see a baby squirrel drowned in our back yard. He must have been washed out of his nest quite sad. amaretto pecans yum and your casserole looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad about your baby squirrel. My daughter had one of her chickens drown when they had a huge downpour in the hill country. All made it to her front porch but one.

      Delete
  5. It's so sweet how the feral cats feel safe and welcome at your place. That must make you feel good. Bet that sunny spot felt good to them. I like your cell phone holder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they feel safe... at least they have a place where they're welcome.

      Delete
  6. Feral cats are like many other things people find unpleasant or uncomfortable to think about. People simply choose not to think about them as living beings. Poor humans are often treated the same way. Thank goodness there are others who think and behave differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, John. I don't know the answers, just do what we can.

      Delete
  7. Dear Rian, your care of and for feral cats is inspiring. We don't have them in my neighborhood, but a cat that must have lived with a human and was lost did come here a few months back. I fed him and was ready to take him to a no-kill shelter where they perhaps could find the people with whom he lived. All ready to do that and then he never again showed up. He was such a sweetheart. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cats that once had a home are definitely different from the ones that have always been feral. Ones that have known love and caring find it easier to trust. The ferals (that have never known human companionship) while they come to know you and sometimes will come close don't ever really trust. Not saying it can't happen, because it can... just harder for them. Hope your lost cat found a home.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...