Translate

Sunday, October 28, 2018

African Chicken Peanut soup...


soup prep



It's Sunday and I'm making African Chicken Peanut  soup. We love this recipe and I think I've posted it before. It's a lot of ingredients, but still easy and makes a bunch! The Peanut butter is added at the end and although the soup is good without it, I think it is the ingredient that makes it amazing.

African Chicken-Peanut Soup
This recipe gives a traditional African dish some American appeal.
Cooking spray
1     1/2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2     garlic cloves, minced
1     jalapeäo pepper, seeded and minced
2     cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
1     cup bottled salsa
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2     (16-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 (15-ounce) cans Healthy Choice Chicken With Rice Soup or any less-sodium chicken-and-rice soup, undiluted 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
Place a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeöo; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients (chicken through beans); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Add peanut butter, stirring with a whisk; cook 2 minutes.
11 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
My Hints:

I use Progresso chicken and wild rice soup (not less-salt) and I skip the jalapeano .

One other thing I do because I find it easier is I bake my sweet potatoes in the oven first... you don't want them too soft to cut up and put in the soup, but you do want the skin to peel off easily. I find peeling and cutting sweet potatoes after they're cooked much easier.


And next is an update on some of my pottery projects.  I'll post these later on my Cheeky Chickens Studio  blog also.



My finished cat planter in the front window.
 It doesn't have a plant in it as my cats would nibble.

Finished ceramic egg bird house


Finished ceramic windchimes


The 2nd set of windchimes (bunnies and carrots) are still at the studio. I missed class Saturday due to this croupy crud. But they should be out of the kiln and ready to string next week.

Well... off to enjoy my chicken soup!












6 comments:

  1. Your chicken soup sounds delicious. And I sure hope that your crud decides to leave soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all really like the soup... and hot soup should be good for our croupy coughs.

      Delete
  2. I love that egg birdhouse!
    Thanks for the soup recipe. I make a lot of soups and I will give this one a try (also without the peppers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olga. Every time I make something new (talking about ceramics here) I learn something new. The egg birdhouse was made at home using the pinch pot process and thus is really a bit heavy. Throwing it on the wheel at the studio probably would have been better... but the birds won't care.

      Delete
  3. Oddly, I have all the ingredients but the jalapeno. Glad you leave it out so now I can try it as directed. Soup is always good when we are under the weather. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...