Translate

Thursday, June 27, 2019

one was a keeper...

chicken chili prep

This was a new recipe I tried last weekend. It was a 'chicken' chili. Since I don't do regular chili (for many reasons), I thought this might be a good alternative. It wasn't. 

Might have been partially my own fault in that I shredded the chicken rather than leaving it in chunks.  Next, possibly I 'stirred' too much as the black beans made the chili a mud colored mixture that just wasn't appetizing.

But I will say that it tasted fine. We ate it with some chopped tomato, cheddar cheese, and a dollop of sour cream on top... and I froze the rest. However, I don't consider it a keeper (not one I would make again).  

However....



lemon frozen ice-box pie

This lemon frozen ice-box pie was definitely a keeper! I had my doubts when making it as the ingredients were many and I thought a bit overkill.... but was very happy with the result. It was delicious and may end up being my summer time special dessert.  I was asked to post the recipe, so here it is:

Ingredients:

Crust:
12 graham crackers (doubles - not one square)
1/3 cup butter melted
1/3 cup granulated sugar

Filling:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla (might use 1.5 tsp)
1 cup lemon curd
8 oz cream cheese room temp
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

Directions:

1. For Crust:  Preheat oven to 350 for crust
Break the graham crackers and add to a food processor. Process to fine crumbs.  Add the melted butter and granulated sugar and process until well combined. 

Once mixed, press crumbs into pie shell (using the back of a measuring cup).  Put pie dish on baking sheet and bake until slightly golden - about 5 + minutes. Set aside to cool.

2. For Filling:  Whip the heavy cream in a mixer with a whisk attachment. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until stiff. Set aside.

Get a clean mixing bowl and add lemon curd, cream cheese, and sweetened condensed milk. Beat until smooth.  Gently fold in about 3/4 cup whipped cream into lemon mixture. Don't mix too well, just fold in a bit. 

3. Pour filling into cooled pie shell. Top with remaining whipped cream.  Freeze at least 2 hours. If longer, cover and return to freezer. Take out 10 - 15 minutes before slicing.



Delicious!





Closing with a pic of our spoiled Tux... who must have a glass of his own water if he sees us drinking:  (well, it's better than having him drink out of our glass...)


spoiled?   ... maybe a little










Hugs,
Rian


14 comments:

  1. Oddly in all my 80 years I have never tasted chili. I know, unAmerican. It is possible I will die with out getting it done. BUT, Lemon Pie is a favorite and I may even try that recipe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I once ate Chili and it nearly killed me. It only takes once. Definitely try that recipe for the lemon pie. I was surprised at how good it was. Dark chocolate pie is my all time favorite, but this one came in a close second.

      Delete
  2. I read the directions to make that pie, and I could almost taste it. What a beautiful creation! I am not a fan of chili, but that one sounds especially unappetizing. I'll skip that and take two servings of the pie, please. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, the pie is really good. As for the chili, it really did taste better than it looked. My grandson went back for seconds and even had me take it out of the freezer so he could finish it off. It just looked so unappetizing...

      Delete
  3. As I get older spicy food sometimes doesn't sit well...if you get what I mean. Maybe that chicken chili wouldn't be so bad. But, I'll take the frozen lemon pie over the chili anytime. It looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken chili wasn't spicy... and it didn't taste bad. But I like my food to look better than that. The lemon pie was really good.

      Delete
  4. black beans do that a lot in most recipes, but that lemon pie, yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that’s probably true, Linda... about the black beans.

      Delete
  5. The lemon pie looks absolutely delicious! I made chili last week with hot Italian sausage (sort of sounds odd but it worked). We do like spicy chili, though I do put it over rice to tame it down a bit.

    Tux reminds me so of my Saku. He too enjoys drinking from a water glass...or a dripping tap. Anything but his water bowl. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH would love that. He’s fond of Italian sausage.

      Delete
  6. I am amazed at the myriad variations there are on chili. All my life I though my chili was the only way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your chili, Joanne... beans or no beans??

      Delete
  7. That pie looks like summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...