Translate

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Muse on vacation... and a chocolate pie for comfort

Well, this week my writing Muse has disappeared. I have 24 chapters written on the next "Annie's Story", (stream of consciousness writing, no proofing - just getting the story down)... and then nothing.

I look at a blank page, know where the story should be going... but for some reason, can't get it down. So, I'm taking a break... perhaps it just needs time (took me 2 years to get out the 2nd book so I shouldn't be surprised).

Anyway, on to other things. I did make a dark chocolate pie yesterday. I love a good dark chocolate pie. This one is made with unsweetened chocolate and topped with whipped cream (with a little added sugar, vanilla, and a touch of bourbon).... so-oo good! It's OK for me as there is no flour in the recipe (gluten free). Of course there is flour in the pie crust as I used a frozen Pet Ritz one - but blind baked it and basted the pie shell first with some butter mixed with vanilla and a tiny bit of bourbon... (flaky and delicious). 




Reading DJan's post today got me to thinking. I've really had a pretty easy life... I mean for the most part. DH and I married right out of college, had 3 kids, worked, retired, and are getting to grow old together. How lucky is that?  We aren't rich by any means, but we're comfortable. Our kids and grandkids are great. Life is good. 

Of course there's been some bad things  along the way... losing both my siblings and Dad to Cancer and my mom to Alzheimer's wasn't easy. Even though you're not a child anymore, you feel like an orphan when your immediate family is all gone. And it makes you feel a bit guilty that you're still here... and wonder why. Both DH and I have been diagnosed with Cancer - but both of us are survivors (so far). Old age (77) brings other inconveniences, but nothing we haven't been able to handle.

I wasn't able to go to Vet School as planned since we got married right out of college and we had 3 kids within the first 5 years. But I never regretted that... I did end up with a BS in Animal Science (LSUBR had no Vet School back then) and later (when the kids were school age) went back and got an Animal Technician degree (Associate degree in AMT) so I could at least work in the field... and did work at a Veterinary Hospital (that specialized in feline care) for years.

DH had a degree in Electrical Engineering and his first job out of college was in Florida. We lived there on Satellite Beach watching the rockets go up from Kennedy Space Center from the summer of 68 until 1971 when we moved to Texas... and stayed. I love Florida for visiting, but never liked living there. The salt air from the ocean rusted cars and as much as I love the water, our first 2 babies were red heads who couldn't take much sun... so time at the beach had to be severely limited.

But this post has taken a turn I hadn't planned, so I will stop here. Wish you all a wonderful Valentine's week, ask you to forgive my ramblings as sometimes my mind goes off on a tangent all it's own.

And before I forget, Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday)  is almost here. I believe it's the 21st. That was always fun growing up (the parades and King Cake parties).  Then of course the day after is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. Then Easter, my favorite holiday! Looking forward to Easter and Spring!


Hugs (still virtual),

Rian

(I know I didn't mention the earthquakes - so horrific that I don't want to go there, but they are in my thoughts and prayers and we hope to help in other ways if possible.)

17 comments:

  1. Rian, you are someone after my own heart (no lie)--last night I was looking online for some chocolate pie recipes, I'm trying to come up with a dessert for the weekend besides ice cream and this got in my head for some reason. Yours looked wonderful. I sure am sorry about your writer's block, and the loss of your family growing up, but I very much enjoyed reading this mini biography. Your work with animals, I love it. It seems to me you & DH made a very good life. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, if you want, I can email my pie recipe. Just let me know. I've tried so many over the years and finally found this one. You can use semi-sweet, bittersweet, or unsweetened chocolate with it. (I use unsweetened).

      Delete
    2. Thanks Rian, that's very nice of you. My email is edougmorris@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Now you've made me hungry for chocolate pie! I may have to let it go, however, as I'm not actually hungry, just wishing it would waft into my vicinity. Thanks for the nice comment, you are one of those people who feels just like family to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same, DJan. But you know, you don't have to be 'hungry' to enjoy chocolate pie... (and it doesn't have to be a big piece - sometimes just a taste is enough)

      Delete
  3. Yum the pie looks delicious!
    Hope your short vacation from writing breaks the block.
    As for the earthquakes, the devastation is beyond comprehension. I've made a small donation to the Red Cross. Not much but the best I can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of "Doctors without Borders"... but you're right, it's beyond comprehension and even with money and other help, it's still horrific.

      Delete
  4. The darkest chocolate possible, no sugar. Wonderful pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful pie... for me anyway. You have to like dark chocolate. And although the unsweetened chocolate has no sugar, there is sugar in the recipe.

      Delete
  5. That was nice rambling. Linda in Kanss

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know you worked professionally with cats but I am certainly not surprised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Veterinary Hospital I worked at was a Specialty clinic for cats... but we did see some small breed dogs.

      Delete
  7. your pie looks very good, so professional, i'll bet it was delicious!! ramblings/discussions are fun sometimes, one way leads you to another!! i hope the words for your book come to you...

    the news has been horrible, the earthquakes terrible...in addition, we have a high school girl, in our school district who was being bullied. they showed the entire thing on the news, 4 girls beating her up, she took her own life the next day. seems the school did not do enough, watching the fight and the torture she endured, i would have to agree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, Debbie, how you can start out talking about one thing... and for whatever reason, you end up talking about something entirely different. Luckily my readers are very kind.
      As for the news about the earthquakes, I keep thinking about those poor people and what they are going through or went through. To keep my sanity, I try not to think about it. I don't listen to the news much anymore and have to say that I didn't know about the bullied girl. I'm sure that goes on a lot more than people realize. Don't understand 'meanness' in people (young or old).

      Delete
  8. I thoroughly enjoy reading your ramblings, as you call it. I enjoy everything you write and need to order one of your books. The chocolate pie looks so delicious. I still make chocolate pies using the recipe my mother always used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henny, my next door neighbor years ago had a great chocolate pie recipe. Unfortunately she is long gone and I have looked for a similar recipe for years. This one I now use is the best I've come up with... dark and thick... and we really like it. I'm sure your mom's is delicious too.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...