Translate

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Bell peppers, Okra, and cats...

4 peppers on one plant... one is way off to right

I'm very happy with the production of my bell pepper plant which is supposed to be a red bell pepper plant. This one plant has 4 peppers growing. I harvested the first crop green as I forgot they were supposed to be red. Then I started thinking that 'aren't all bell peppers green, then yellow, orange, and finally red'? So I looked it up. Apparently this is true. This is what I found:


and also:



This last one may be hard to read, but you can try to enlarge it or google it. Anyway, I found it interesting. And I'm going to hold out and see if my now green peppers do make this transition. 

 And here's a pic of my basil... pretty much going to seed now:





and someone was talking about okra on their blog... about it liking dry weather... think this might have been Henny Penny's blog. But I love okra. However, I've never tried to grow it. I use it in my chicken and sausage gumbo and I buy it *dried* for snacking.  It's the only dried product that I like. I've tried a few others like green beans and carrots... but didn't like those. Here's a pic of the brand I buy... "My Snacks".





As you can see, Julie was not sure about sharing her spot with the Okra...
And I had to take a pic of Tux and Ghost laying by the Aga so they wouldn't feel left out.

Tux and Ghost


DH and I have some errands to run this morning... one of which is my annual Oncologist appointment. This one will be different as my Oncologist for the last 17 years moved to Oregon to be closer to family... so I've a new doctor this time whom (who or whom?) I haven't met yet. I'm going to stop this post here so that I can continue later this afternoon and give you my opinion. Wish me luck!

OK... back from appointment and errands. Do like the new doctor. We talked for a bit after the initial exam, and he seemed interested... talked about family,  a little about medical family history, but also about family surnames, history of surnames, ancestry, etc. Also gave me my "good to go" for another year. Hurray! 

Next DH and I took off for a kitchen shop that sells Vietnamese Cinnamon - which I use in several recipes.







While there I also bought a pre-seasoned Lodge cast iron frying pan. I've been meaning to get one and see how these pre-seasoned ones work. I have 2 old cast iron pans in the garage, but they are rusted... (and I know that they can be cleaned and seasoned, but I've given up on those). I have several recipes that are supposed to be made in a cast iron pan that I've been making in regular pyrex or ceramic. But I do want to try them in cast iron. Will post my experimenting.




Guess that's about it for today. It's only Wednesday, so have a wonderful rest of the week! 


 

14 comments:

  1. peppers and basil are pitiful here, even the tomatoes, perhaps due to all the early rain, peas are suffering due to heat but trying to keep them alive. I am not trying any okra but I think it likes the heat if only I was growing it, the farmer's market bring them but they are too large and tough, waiting for the small tender ones. Don't get rid of those old rusty cast iron pans they are a premium at the flea market, I am sorry I got rid of mine; the new ones are not half as good, believe me. Okra is worth growing just to see the stems, flowers and then the okra, wonderful hardy plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I haven't thrown out my old cast iron skillets... just got tired of fighting the rust. I also have some old vintage Guardian cookware in the garage that used to belong to my Mother-in-law. And I still use my mom's Magnalite pots and roasters. And while you were talking about interesting plants... have you ever seen an artichoke plant? Those are really neat.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of dried okra, I like it in curries, will look into where I can buy it.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do Briony, it's really good. Somehow they have succeeded in retaining the taste of Okra. Some of the others don't taste the same.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know that about peppers. I thought they were different varieties. And do tell about how you like that new pan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are different varieties, possibly some that stay green??

      Delete
  4. Cast iron has sure come back in fashion these days. I had a couple frying pans that I picked up second hand. They were always getting rusty even though I seasoned them (I guess I wasn't doing a very good job of it!) Great to hear you got the o.k. from your new doctor. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I apparently have never done a good job of seasoning either... or perhaps I just *have* to wash out a pan with soap and that messes it up?

      Delete
  5. I am glad to hear you liked the new doctor and especially that he gave a "good to go" assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cast iron skillets really do cook well. I have a small one which I use for cornbread. It's small but oh so heavy! I wonder how all those old grandma's back in the day managed to lift those really big ones. Also it's such a temptation to wash out the interior using dishwashing liquid but that's a no-no since the detergent removes the grease which soaks into the iron keeping the rust at bay. Just swish it out with water and a sponge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There ARE heavy! Perhaps the women in the olden days were stronger than us, Vic. I have to use both hands to handle them... and even then, it hurts my wrists. As to the 'not washing out with dishwashing liquid' - that's probably where I go wrong. I can't not wash a pan... but thought if you re-seasoned it after you washed it, that would do, but maybe not. I'll see how this pre-seasoned pan does.

      Delete
  7. So happy you had a clean check up. I know that even after years, I still gets a little nervous around the annual checkups. Keep those all clears coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Patti. It's been 17 years since I was diagnosed. Those words "good to go for another year" are very happily received.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...