Translate

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Hawaii, AC trouble, a birthday, and old pics...

beach in Hawaii

Well, our oldest grandson is off this week to Air Force Boot Camp (or Basics) for the next 6 weeks... and our oldest son left Thursday to join family in Hawaii (their new home). This is one of the first pics he sent us while driving around on his first day there. Actually it's one of several, but I really liked the secluded look of this beach as well as the clear green water. I'm neither a swimmer nor a sun worshiper, but I do love to walk on secluded beaches. There's something about the smell of the air and the atmosphere.


And these next ones were taken at the place they're renting now...






Here in Texas DH and I are surviving the heat with our downstairs AC out. Actually it went out Thursday afternoon and the repairman just left a few minutes ago (Saturday afternoon). Yes, it is up and working again... and we are richer for the cool air, but poorer in our pocketbook. But then, that is life, yes? (and surviving in Texas without AC is difficult - if not impossible)

AND... the springs on the garage door broke this week (repairman fixed that Friday) and we also have a lovely leak coming from the upstairs ceiling through to the computer room... (Plumber called and should be here early next week). 

And it's DH's Birthday today! He's had lots of texts, phone calls, and messages from family and friends... and we hope to go out tomorrow to celebrate. We thought about going out to dinner tonight, but it's really too hot... so we're going to stay in and enjoy our cool air!

Since son was here going through possessions and getting things boxed and packed to move, I started going through boxes of old pics. Came across these... which are some of my favorites of our 3 kids when they were small.









These were taken in our first home in Texas...





As you can see, cats were part of our lives then too...












Now these 3 are all grown up with lives and kids of their own:


our 3 taken some years ago


Guess that's my 'share' for the day.

Also... at the moment I'm reading an odd little book called "The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper" by Phaedra Patrick. It's an interesting little tale of an elderly man who a year after his wife passes, decides to finally go through her things and finds a gold charm bracelet that leads him on an unexpected adventure into his wife's past... and opens him up to a whole new lease on life. I'm not finished reading it, but so far its been an enjoyable read. 






Enjoy your week! (and try to stay cool...)







20 comments:

  1. I'm beginning to think that maybe we need AC here. The last few years the summers have been so hot and as we get older we are less able to cope with heat. To think that once we would have laid on the beach all day..
    Our eldest son went into the Airforce here and never looked back,it led to a good job when he left.
    Hawaii looks just beautiful.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Briony... when I think of growing up in New Orleans 'before AC' it's hard to imagine. But we were young and didn't know any difference. Here when the temps climb to the triple digits, we really feel it.
      As for the AF, I hope it works out well for my grandson. I hear those boot camps can be difficult.

      Delete
  2. Your children are adorable -- then and now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Olga. It's funny, but when I dream about them, they are always at just about the ages in those first pictures.

      Delete
  3. Ugh, no air con where you are is unthinkable! I'm glad it's fixed.

    Good luck to your grandson re: his basic training. And what a fabulous pic your son sent. The beach looks incredible. I'm not a swimmer or a sun-bather, either, but yes, I do love to ramble along a deserted beach, feet in the water, looking for pretty stones or shells (unoccupied shells, of course).

    Happy birthday to your husband; I hope his day is amazing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. That beach does look like one I'd like to visit. And I too love to look for treasures in the sand and water. I still have the flat black rocks I picked up on a Dingle beach in Ireland many years ago.

      Delete
  4. Children do spend far more years with lives of their own than being "our" children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true, Joanne... but 5 or 50, you still worry.

      Delete
  5. boy you had your three things broken, terrible; I could jump in that water in Hawaii, what a nice place to be, still dreaming of when I lived there in the fourth grade and my favorite muumuu. ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That water does look inviting... and I didn't know that you lived there at some point, Linda. Have you ever been back?

      Delete
  6. Loved the picture of your kids with each one having a kitten. All adorable. I know what you mean about A/C. I would rather do with out food than air conditioning. Too many years in Florida. Hope you get to visit your son in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Patti (on giving up food rather than AC). And we do plan to visit son in Hawaii... probably not this year, but most likely next.

      Delete
  7. It's fun looking back at old photos with all the lovely memories they evoke. It's amazing how quickly time passes.

    Glad to hear your a/c is fixed. I cannot imagine being without it and we're only getting temps in the 80's (F). Not sure how I would manage in any higher temps.

    The photo of the beach is incredibly beautiful! I'm sure they will enjoy their time there.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are glad the AC is fixed too. It's supposed to hit the triple digits this weekend and stay a while.

      Delete
  8. That's a sweet picture of your children with their cats! Have you seen any of the pictures people do now, where they pose in the same positions and with clothing as close to the originals as possible and recreate their childhood pictures? Maybe your three could do that if they were all in the same location. That beach in Hawaii looks wonderful. I'm glad to hear you got your air conditioning fixed. We are not really experiencing a heat wave at the moment. A very happy birthday to your husband - another July birthday! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen those pics, Jenn. But I doubt that I would have any luck getting them posed for such a pic... only one lives close by. And when we do all get together with kids and grandkids, it's fun, but a bit chaotic.

      Delete
  9. I don't know if you already knew this but that beach in Hawaii? That is the beach where a famous scene was filmed for the movie "From Here to Eternity". I lived in Hawaii 5 years and loved every minute of it. When my parents came to visit me while I lived there (in Kaneohe and I worked at the Windward Mall) we HAD to visit this beach! LOL. I lived there at the time when Magnum, P.I. was on TV (mid 1980s) and once while walking from my apartment to work at the local mall in Kaneohe, I cut down a side street and Tom Selleck was filming an episode and graciously signed autographs and posed for pictures!!! It was so cool Karate Kid II was also filmed around the Kaneohe Bay while I lived there. It was a magical time. Expense to live there but worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't know that. But it is a gorgeous beach. And I'm glad to know that you loved living there. Since I've never been, I really know nothing about Hawaii... except the pictures my son is sending. But we do plan to visit one day.

      Delete
  10. Our weather has been absolutely perfect: sunny and in the low 70s. I love it here; our a/c comes from the Pacific Ocean. And why am I not surprised to learn that cats have been in your life for so long? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, I do envy your wonderful weather (and scenery). So glad you love it there. What a good move it turned out to be for you.
      As for the cats, I never had them as a child (mom was not too crazy about animals), but DH has always had them, so the first thing we did after getting married was get 2 kittens.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...