Translate

Saturday, December 9, 2017

the wonder of grandchildren... and the magic of Christmas

painted  fingernails!



We spent yesterday evening with our 5 year old grand daughter so her parents could have a little time to themselves (to either have a quiet dinner or ... perhaps  to do a little Christmas shopping). Whatever the reason, it gave DH and I some alone time with this adorable precocious child.


 
painted toenails!







5 years old is such a great age... just on the cusp of understanding what things are all about. She works things out so well in her little mind that it amazes me. We may be talking about something and she will explain the concept to me.... and for the most part has it down pretty well.





I was reading to her at bedtime. She loves books and has tons. We were reading one I had given her recently called "The Kissing Hand"... and another called, "How to Babysit a Grandma". Well, she asked me if my grandma ever read to me... and I had to say that I never knew any of my grandmas. They all passed away before I was born. She looked all forlorn and said "That's so sad".... and I agreed it was. I would have liked to have known them.

Anyway, it was an interesting evening and although we probably spent too long laying in bed talking after reading... so much so that she wasn't asleep yet when her mom & dad came home (but she was in bed!). But since we don't get a lot of one on one quiet time to talk, it was nice.

She also taught me how to say "I love you" in sign language. 

Now we have 3 other grandchildren, ages 19, 16, and 10 and we love them all dearly, but  I now remember how much I enjoyed the older ones at this age. And IMO, although infants are precious and toddlers are adorable, 5 year olds... when they are becoming 'little people' who ask questions and come up with wonderful original answers are the most fun!

Hope all of you readers have a wonderful safe fun filled weekend!  As for myself, I intend to put on Christmas music, get a fire going in the fireplace, light my favorite scented candle (Marshmallow Fireside by Bath & Body Shop), and start on my Christmas cookie baking. The cats of course will help me... either by lying on my lap  by the fire or just plain supervising (they are very good at that).  






Thank you again for stopping by... to share a little of my life with me. I certainly enjoy sharing yours. 


 



 

12 comments:

  1. Is it me, or is the new generation more "worldly?" They know whole concepts that only entered our heads as teens. People of any color or persuasion are people, for instance. They blow me away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, 5 years old is a lovely age before they go to school and start changing.
    We used to look after my daughter's son Tom lots and Tom(Grandad) got so fed up with reading one book called 'Banana man' every night, lol. It was Tom (Grandson's) favouite book. Sadly all of my Grandchildren are grown up now and this particular Tom is 28.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briony, we also had our oldest son's 4 year old with us for a while and he came up with things that made us laugh back then - when his thoughts and ideas were just forming. Now he's 19... but I still remember how amazing it was.

      Delete
  3. love the multi colored nails, ah from the mouths of babes, I still remember when my nephew once farted in the bathtub and said "my butt burped" another time we had broccoli for dinner and he said, "do I have to eat the trunks"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, kids can come up with some original (and hilarious)stuff! Sometimes it makes you see things in a whole new light...

      Delete
  4. You remind me that it's important for me to find some five-year-olds to play with. Yes, they are more than delightful at that age. And thank YOU for sharing your lovely grandchild with me. I am very blessed indeed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely delightful, DJan! I love the way their minds work at figuring things out. Sometimes it's hilarious and sometimes it's amazing.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this post so much. I can just imagine how Christmassy your home must have felt with the music, the fire burning, and the candle. Reading about your granddaughter reminds me of our little Madison. She is in college now, but oh how I loved picking her up to spend the weekend with us. Five is such a cute age, and Madison was adorable. She and I really did some talking back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your memories of Madison (I love that name)at 5 will stay with you always. I know mine have... even after they're grown.

      Delete
  6. Me again! I love your little Cheeky Chickens. Do you have an Etsy shop, or how do you sell them? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sell them, but don't have an Etsy shop... at least not yet. It's been 'word of mouth' so far. Perhaps I will put them up with pictures of each on my blog after the first of the year when I replenish the flock ??

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...