Translate

Monday, February 19, 2018

Cats, birds, turtles, and chicks!

Front yard feral "Pretty Boy"

Pretty Boy lying on Hay in front

Fluffy young Feral that hangs around Pretty




As you know, we have feral cats in our neighborhood. Occasionally some hang around more than others. These two, Pretty and Fluffy (not very original names) stay pretty close to our house. They occasionally wander... but not for long. Sometimes they bring friends home. We have had as many as 6 sleeping together in the catbed on the front porch when it was below freezing outside (I made a new flannel lining for it recently).

Now for the back yard : 



woodpecker

I've been trying to catch this woodpecker on my camera for a while. He sees me and flits off very quickly. But I finally succeeded!

And here are a few others that are not as finicky about having their pics taken:










As you can see, they love the catfood in the dishes out back. Their bird feeders are full... but generally the squirrel is in there. He is a fat little brown squirrel and very often has 2 crows chasing him around. But the way he flits his tail at the crows and the cats makes it seem like he enjoys the game. Our birdfeeder hangs from the tree by a chain and he looks so funny shimmying up and down that chain. I haven't caught him on camera yet, but I will.

Also I've been playing around with my clay a bit. Am in the process of making more chickens and branched out a bit to make this little pastel turtle as well as this chick in the egg idea. You can see the chick through the holes in the egg... but since this was a new idea, I've learned that I probably need to make a few more holes. By the time summer comes and I get back into class, I may have quite a few things ready for the kiln. Can't fire anything at home.... no kiln and no wheel for throwing.







The egg shell fits over the chicken and will be inseparable... once fired. These have only been underglazed, they still need firing and blackbirding to give them that shaded antique look.


By the way, thanks for all the responses to my back pain question on the last post. I really appreciate the input. The pillow between the knees seems to be the best help at the moment...














14 comments:

  1. Great job with those bird photos. You have so much to watch in your yard it sounds as though you don't even need a tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Olga. The front and backyard activity does keep us entertained.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful captures of two of your beautiful ferals and of the birds. It's like "The Wonderful World of Disney" on your property. :-)

    The chick in the egg is a fun idea, and I do love the turtle too! I'll be looking forward to seeing them finished, later in the year.

    Take care and I hope your back improves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. So far using the pillow and taking hot baths to ease the muscles in my lower back is working pretty good.
      As for the chick in the egg idea, I was just playing around with a ball of clay and decided to see if I could make an enclosed egg with the pinchpot method. I know how to throw one on the wheel, but although I've made pinchpots, I'd never tried to make an egg. Then the chick in the egg kind of grew out of that.

      Delete
  3. I am not sure I could even sleep on my side any more without a pillow between my knees. Glad it helps. I think I caught your lower back pain, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no... I don't wish that on anyone. Try soaking in a hot bath!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful bird pictures. I miss all the colorful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching the birds interact. Blue jays are bullies. Doves are very shy. We have a persistent little wren that is trying to find a place for a nest. Keeps coming on our back porch and flitting around. If she nests on our back porch (even high in a hanging plant), it'll be like nesting in a cage of lions with all the ferals that hang there.

      Delete
  5. Nice that one type of food feeds so many. So glad the pillow works for you. Keep that pain at bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many critters seem to love dry cat food... from racoons to possums to turtles (and birds).

      Delete
  6. Those are beautiful cats! I've never seen one like the grey and black. It's nice how you take care of the feral kitties around there. Hope your back gets better soon. Back problems are awful. Love the bird pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That grey and black kitten is unusual looking. I thought she might lose some of that long hair as she aged, but so far she has not.

      Delete
  7. Dear Rian, as a cat lover, I so enjoy photographs of cats doing almost anything! They seem to me to be grace personified. So thank you for introducing us to the two feral cats who have decided they own you.

    And the bird photos are also quite lovely. I don't have a camera and don't know how to use my phone to take photos, so I appreciate the ones that others, like you, take. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are fascinating creatures. DH and I have spent our whole 50 years together taking care of cats - our own inside rescues and then the outside ferals as best we can when there was no more room inside (at one time we had 3 kids, 8 cats, and several caged birds - finches and budgies). As we aged, it was necessary to cut back... and even now the inside cats could possibly outlive us. But they tend to steal your heart (some more than others), and we dearly love them.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...