Translate

Monday, July 16, 2018

Julie hanging out...



Julie

While I was dusting the front room today, Julie was hanging out watching me. Cats are very good at watching others work. I often tell them they should be doing something constructive... but to them that only means 'playing, eating, or napping'. They are good at those things... and at 'comforting'.

The little Siamese feral kittens (and their black sibling) are growing up... but still nursing their mama. They are very playful and I would like to get them friendly to people, but their mama has taught them well. As soon as that door opens, they scatter.



Mama and her 3 kits


..
another view




The kittens are growing up... but still nursing. She's a fantastic mom... watches them like a hawk. We saw her hiss and chase off one of the raccoon babies that was getting too close to a kitten. I think it just wanted to play... but mama said 'no way'.

DH and I had a fun 2 weeks of birthdays... (his is 9 days after mine).  Oldest son and his family flew in from Hawaii and we had a nice family gathering on Sunday. I made a ton of food as I wasn't sure how many would be at the house... but we almost finished most of it. 

Unfortunately the weather has been really hot. Supposed to hit 104 - 105 F later this week. And the 'haze' due to the Sahara sand blowing in doesn't help. 

I may be 'out of pocket' this next week, but will try to catch up ASAP.  

Have a great week! And try to keep 'cool'....





13 comments:

  1. My cat hangs out like that. The operative word is "hangs out". All feet dangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I often wish Nicki and Derry would do something useful, but of course that's not their role. Theirs is to rule, mine is to serve. :-)

    How wonderful that your son and family could return for a celebration of your birthdays! I can only imagine the amount of food...!

    The kittens are cute--it's always bittersweet to me to see your feral kittens, knowing they'll be adding to the unwanted population sooner than later. Yet I'm thankful they all have you to care for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great having them all here for our birthdays. As for the feral kittens, it makes me sad too... but watching them grow and play makes us laugh. I wish we could catch them and find them forever homes, but so far they have eluded us.

      Delete
  3. when I had a not feral mother have kittens in our barn in CA I had to put food in a cat carrier to get them; I think the mother's even if not feral teach the kittens not to trust folks. this happened after we'd sold our home and we had to catch them before we had to move out, one little one was left and then finally we got him. whew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We own a hav-a-heart trap and have caught possums, raccoons, and skunks in it - to be removed and taken to another area if the need arises... but the feral cats never enter it. Years ago what we would do would be outside on the back porch with them a lot - so they got used to us, then take them in to a bedroom upstairs, get them friendly, and then have the mom spayed and released, and take the kittens to the adoption room at our local shelter. We don't spend a lot of time outside anymore... with the heat and mosquitoes (Zika and West Nile). We would also sometimes take the kittens when they were very young (4-5 weeks), bottle feed them, and then when old enough, either keep them as inside cats or take them to the adoption room. Now... the mamas seem to have gotten wise to that and don't bring the kittens into our yard until they are 6-8 weeks and too fast to catch (and at our age, we are too slow).

      Delete
  4. They do seem to be big kittens to still be nursing, but they are fortunate to have such a safe place to live. I agree that it would be great to get them spayed and neutered and given forever homes. They are adorable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are good looking kittens... and like I said, their mom is very protective. Some mom's take their kittens off on a 'walk about' when they are this age. Sometimes they don't return... most times they do after a few days. This mom doesn't let these kittens out of her sight and as far as we can tell doesn't take them out of the yard.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I know you would love to hold one of those kittens. The mother cat is pretty too. I love Julie! Those white whiskers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grand daughter would love to take one home...

      Delete
  6. I had heard that nursing cats can't get pregnant but I just Googled that and it isn't true. Sigh. Hope you can catch them. I have caught a young kitten in a Havaheart trap when I was trying to catch a raccoon. He was a single cat though and your kittens have a diligent mom.Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can see the kittens being held by one of my grand daughters in the picture to the right. That was the first batch of kittens we took in and kept... but they were only about 4 weeks old when we took the five of them in. Their mom brought them to our porch and left...

      Delete
  7. Dear Rian, yes, you just captured what cats are good at--and "comforting" is one of their specialties. I remember a time--back in 1984 when I truly needed comfort and Dulcy jumped up onto my lap and began licking my cheek. She was so intent and her purr loud that I had to let go of my disappointment over a possible job and simply sit there and sink into the comfort she offered me. peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...