Translate

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

"Atypical"

I have been binge watching a show called "Atypical" on Netflix about a teen age boy with high level Asperger's. I'm amazed at how well he handles himself and how aware he is of his condition... not that he doesn't have melt-downs at times. But he seems to know his limitations and takes notes that help him react appropriately when  he can't comprehend the emotion or situation that confronts him.

At one point he is brought into a group of teenagers to discuss what their future may hold after high school. The group is composed of boys and girls with different levels of autism. At first he doesn't think he will like being in the group... but later says that he does... and realizes that he is better off than some of them and if they can get by and aim for college or such, then he certainly can too.

I find this series very well done... and educational as well. People need to know how to assimilate these individuals into the population. Their brains work differently - yes, but in many cases, they work very well.  Most of us feel awkward around people who have this condition because we are at a loss as to how to interact with them - not that different from their inability to read or understand our facial, physical, or emotional responses. It's something that we all need to work on so that we can better ourselves.

I found it hard to put into words what I want to say here. I think we learn from each other and those with Autism or Aspergers (and/or other conditions that may or may not be a handicap) definitely have something to contribute. Even though their brains work differently - we can learn from them - and vice-versa.

If any of you out there have seen this series and have any comments, I would love to hear them.




10 comments:

  1. I have not seen this series but I can attest that the same acceptance and learning experiences should be true for interacting with those with dementia or alzheimer's or brain damage or any handicap for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true, Linda... and something that needs to be addressed... not just with police, or doctors, but with schools and the public as well.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen this series, but I will put it on my list of ones to watch. Thanks for the review, Rian. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will find it fascinating... at least I did.

      Delete
  3. Don't have access to the series but the premise sounds interesting. If we understand, we can accept and embrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I watched it on Netflix, but it may also be on Hulu.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the heads up. I watched the first season and liked it. Good drama, some humor, and an important reminder that none of us is perfect, but all of us have something to contribute. Anyway, now on to the second season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I'm fairly new to Netflix... but I watched until there were no more. So I don't know if I watched only the first season or the first and second. I will have to go back and check. I did see the graduation...

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think there are only 2 seasons so far. But hopefully there will be another in 2019.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...