Translate

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

cats and art... the art part





My last post was about how cats and art enrich my life... except that I went on a bit about cats and there wasn't time for the art part.

So here it is... although I'm not exactly sure what I want to say.

Basically I love to write stories, sketch, play around with watercolor, and either throw on the pottery wheel or sculpt little critters out of clay.  Am I good at it? I'm OK... don't consider myself an artist... but definitely enjoy doing it. 

The stories I write are original and just pop up in my head... so it's therapeutic to put them down on paper (or into the computer). But  sketching, watercolor (and probably sculpture) is different. When I see something (a picture, an object, whatever...)  and it  'moves' me, I want/need to capture it...  feel the creation of it myself.  I see the 'motion' in my mind and want to feel it in my fingers.

Luckily most of the time, if I can see it in my mind, I can duplicate it on paper or in clay. Does that make any sense? It really is hard to explain. It sounds strange (even to me), but it makes me think how some people say that they see numbers in colors - well, I see motion in things and want to feel that motion. Crazy, huh? Maybe...

And the reason I won't say that I'm a artist is because I've never had a good understanding of art appreciation. It seems that an Artist would appreciate all forms of art. I don't. I don't understand or appreciate lots of famous art. Can't for the life of me find anything about some of it to appreciate... except maybe the effort put out to create it.  But perhaps (like my writing) it just feels good to get it out and onto the canvas or into a physical form. (I think this when I see art that borders on horrific - and think how good it must feel to get THAT out of their head - ha!).

But it seems that for as many of us that don't appreciate it, there are just as many or more that do.

Anyway, the process of creating art (and even the wonder of seeing others create) brings me joy.  And I imagine some people find the same magic in music or possibly anything. Life is art. I do understand that.

Perhaps this is TMI...???  If so, sorry. But thanks for reading anyway!

Hugs,
Rian



Tux found a spot in the sun
















12 comments:

  1. Oh no, Rian, not at all. I so enjoy hearing what makes you "tick" and create the way that you do. I am not an artist at all, just what I think of as a journeyman, having learned to write early in life but have not much artistic talent. I am a good editor, someone who can clean up and critique what someone else creates. It's wonderful to have both of types on the planet, I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. We need all types that's for sure. As much as I enjoy creating, I hate the thought of marketing... or even talking about what I do or how/why I do it. Writing about it is OK. So having this blog works well.

      Delete
  2. Creative people contribute a lot to this world and you are doing your inspired part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terra. I would like to think so... not sure if its of any value... except to me.

      Delete
  3. I haven't a creative bone in my body so have much admiration for your endeavours. Your comment that you see the motion is absolutely amazing to me because it's not in my realm of possibilities.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe that you don't have a creative bone in your body. You do... just express it in other ways that perhaps you're unaware of.

      Delete
  4. I don't believe there is hard and fast rule about how to be an artist. Wasn't it Michelangelo who said something to the effect that sculpting was a matter of seeing an image in a slab of rock and chipping away the unnecessary bits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe it's in the "seeing"... and that we each see things differently.

      Delete
  5. Kind of agree with Andy. We do what we enjoy and if others rave or ignore, that is immaterial. I think all bloggers have a bit of artist in them. Wish I had your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with Andy too, Patti. Art/creativity is very subjective. If it brings you joy to make it, see it, or own it - then do so (if possible or practical).

      Delete
  6. That quote is perfect. I spend far too much time thinking and not doing, my head is awash with ideas that never get off the ground.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, Briony. That's one of the reasons I have so many unfinished stories. My head starts filling with another when I haven't finished the first. All I can say is as Andy said, just keep making more.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...