Translate

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Poem posted by my computer...


Around the Corner
by Henson Towne


Around the corner I have 
a friend,
In this great city that has
 no end.
Yet days go by and weeks 
rush on,
And before I know it,
 a year is gone.

And I never see my 
old friend's face, 
For life is a swift and 
terrible race.
He knows I like him 
just as well, 
As in the days when 
I rang his bell.

And he rang mine. We were 
younger then -
And now we are busy, 
tired men-
Tired with playing a 
foolish game,
Tired with trying to 
make a name.

"Tomorrow" I say "I will 
call on Jim,
Just to show that I'm 
thinking of him."
But tomorrow comes, 
and tomorrow goes,
And the distance between us 
grows and grows.

Around the corner! 
Yet miles away...
"Here's a telegram, sir"
"Jim died today."
And that's what we get - 
and deserve in the end -
Around the corner,
 a vanished friend.



This poem never fails to move me.  So sad, but so true for so many.  Thank goodness at least for email and texting these days. Although not the same as face to face, it does make it easier to stay in touch.

Have a wonderful Sunday! If possible - get in touch with someone you miss today or just make someone smile...

Hugs,
Rian




14 comments:

  1. Ouch! That speaks to me. And yes, text and email makes it easier to connect and set a time for face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sad tale, but true for so many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a poem that all who have lived for a long time can recognize. You and I both ended our posts today asking others to put a smile on someone's face. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, DJan. Your post put a smile on my face... and reminded me of this poem.

      Delete
  4. There is so much truth in the poem. A good reminder to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is a beautiful poem..."old age, a privilege denied to many"!!

    I like face time too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was nodding in agreement at the beginning but was brought up short by the telegram. Makes an excellent point that we all should make that effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "... make the effort". Yes, I agree, Patti. Such a little thing could make a big difference in someone's life.

      Delete
  7. Dear Rian, I began your book yesterday. Because of Glaucoma, I normally don't read print books, just e-books, but I so want to read your story and support you in your writing career. I read 4 chapters yesterday and I think I can do four a day. So within two weeks, I hope to finish your book and then write about it on my blog. I'm liking the main character and also Abner. In Chapter 5, I think I'll get to spend time in his lighthouse! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we really should try to keep our friends close, it’s so easy to loose sight of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Rian, the death of my friend Pat in May really brought all this home to me. She and I had kept in touch, talking on the phone regularly. But with other friends in Minnesota, from where I moved 10 years ago after being there 38 years--I haven't done a good good of staying in touch. So next year, I'm going back to visit and renew those wonderful friendships. This year, I'm making an effort to call. thanks for the reminder. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...