Translate

Monday, March 18, 2024

celebrating a bloom...

 



Cactus bloom - from 2 angles

This is the first 'home' bloom my Thanksgiving Cactus has given us. For the first few months after I bought her, I thought she hated me. She had many blooms on her when purchased, but once in my window lost all of them. 

She was put in the same window as my Hatch Pepper and Maidenhair fern and they seem happy. 

Then I was told that this type of cactus doesn't like attention. Humph..ph! I talk to my plants, wiggle their leaves, etc. Now I was being told not to even have eye contact with her. Really???  OK, I tried this... and nothing

Next I was told to put it in a dark place (like a closet) for several days. I did this, but felt very guilty. If this cactus didn't hate me before, surely she would hate me now. But I did it.... nothing. 

Also told that this cactus (still un-named) doesn't like much watering... and prefers to be watered from the bottom. Tried this... nothing.

But - just a few days ago I saw one tiny red spot on one of the leaves. This red spot started to get bigger. I took a chance and put her back in the closet for 2 days (hate doing this, but if this is what she needs?). 

When I took her out (and profusely apologized), put her back in the South window (this time one apart from the other plants and doesn't get as much light), her single bloom started to grow!

It has continued to develop until now I believe this is the mature bloom! I'm amazed, but don't know what to think. Is one single bloom telling me that she doesn't hate me (completely)?

What do you think? And BTW, I need a name for her. Any suggestions?


Hugs (virtual),

Rian

*And any advice concerning her care would be appreciated. 





16 comments:

  1. Kay of Musings: Yay! That’s awesome! I transplanted our Christmas cactus and uuuummm…. It didn’t appreciate it at all. Sigh… It died. Sigh…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry your Christmas cactus died, Kay... but from what I've been told, I'm not surprised. Did you talk to it? (just curious)

      Delete
    2. No, I didn't. I think it was just mad at me for transplanting it.

      Delete
  2. I have the same cactus. Sits in my kitchen window year round. I water from the top, maybe once every two weeks, letting it dry out in between. It doesn't hate you unless the leaves start to fall off, that means either too much or not enough water. I fertilize once or twice a year with houseplant fertilizer. I call mine a Christmas cactus but it blooms on Veteran's Day, MLK Day and anytime it feels like it. Sometimes it gets a bunch of buds then they fall off without blooming (possibly because I forgot to water--ha!) Go ahead and talk to it if you want, I don't think it'll much care. Good Luck. I'm sure it'll reward you with lots of blooms when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposedly there's some difference between a Christmas cactus and a Thanksgiving cactus... but it doesn't seem to matter as both seem a bit testy. I intend to keep on talking to it and see what happens.

      Delete
  3. She's pretty. I would name her "Princess" since she seems quite standoffish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, I may consider "Princess T" - as she is a bit of a Diva.

      Delete
  4. i read the theory about putting a christmas cactus in a dark space for a while when i was doing some research on mine. from that, i think mine is a false christmas cactus. google it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, Debbie. I thought a false Christmas cactus was a Thanksgiving cactus... or a 'bloom whenever you want' cactus

      Delete
    2. hehehehe...well than you know more than me!! mine is blooming again!!

      Delete
  5. Nice blossom. You can skip the closet in future, I think. That's just to force blooms. Just give her a space and let her be. She will be happy and bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably good advice, Joanne. I don't think I could put her in the closet again.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful bloom on your cactus!
    I have a four year old Shasta Daisy that comes out of early winter hibernation each year, and offers us the prettiest blooms in early March.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It may seem strange to get excited over one bloom... but it was long awaited (as is your Shasta daisy I imagine).

      Delete
  7. The main physical difference is the leaf shape. The leaves of a Thanksgiving cactus have sharp pointy leaf tips. A Christmas cactus has more rounded scalloped leaves. The other difference is that the Thanksgiving cactus blooms earlier November - December, the Christmas cactus blooms early in the new year, January -February. They usually only have one main flush of blooms per year, but may have a flower or two every once in awhile for reasons of their own. I have a Thanksgiving cactus and I put it out in a shaded area during the summer and by the time I bring in plants to overwinter it will often have the tiny beginnings of buds on the tips of the leaves. It grows nicely all winter in a western window.

    I'm pretty sure that I have read that you can root a new plant by cutting of a short section of the branch ( three or four sections long) and sticking it halfway down directly into moist potting soil and it will grow roots and can be transplanted into a larger pot once it has begun to show some growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, Victoria. I like "but may have a flower or two every once in awhile for reasons of their own". In my case, she could be letting me know that she doesn't totally hate me.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...