Translate

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

and the beat goes on...


Jack with Mardi Gras beads


Listened and watched the news about Mardi Gras in New Orleans last night. Apparently it was cold, but sunny  - so turned out fairly nice for the merry-makers.  My cousin said she'd gone to the parades earlier in the week, but stayed home Mardi Gras Day... too cold.

We never missed Mardi Gras when I was growing up. Mom and Dad took us to the parades and although we avoided the downtown area (a bit too crowded for kids - with people drinking and acting wild), we did shout the "throw me something, mister!" at the costumed people on the floats and were rewarded with tons of beads and junk!  These were usually *day parades*. As far as I can remember we only attended one night parade and the crazy people tossing fiery torches high into the air as they marched discouraged my mom from ever taking us again.

When we were in college, we attended in groups... usually roping ourselves together in the crowded downtown area.  It was fun... no incidents that I recall.  Lots of great music, food, and drink!  And some really crazy costumes! By that time, Mom and Dad had joined a Mardi Gras Club and were on their own float... dressed up and throwing Mardi Gras beads to the masses.

And today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.  So it goes...

Nothing else today to report.  Still playing around with my little clay critters. Here's a few more pics:

orange kitty - under-glazed but not fired

sleepy kitty (a work in progress...)

Have a wonderful rest of the week!


  

12 comments:

  1. I have never been to Mardi Gras, not the official one any way. I think it would be quite a sight to see though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a sight to see alright! The parades are fun for all and interesting to see all the types of Floats... but downtown you will really see some sights (some fantastic, some you'll try to forget).

      Delete
  2. Mardi Gras must be a lot of fun, especially for kids - or adults for that matter.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Diana. You just have to know where to go... and when.

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to visit Mardi Gras...still on the to do list. Love the little kitties, they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pretty sleepy kitty. Very nice job. And I have been to a Mardi Gras celebration or two during my life. I didn't know it was Ash Wednesday yesterday, thanks for reminding me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The *sleepy kitty* started out as a small model of the kiln we were going to build. The original one showed to us by instructors was a *pig*.... but as the project progressed, we decided ours was just going to look like a kiln and nothing else as the technical stuff that had to be executed was enough to take up most of our time.

      Delete
  5. Your kitty's are cute...are you going to make them as gifts? Mardi Gras is a little to wild for me....and not a big fan of big crowds like that. Do enjoy the music though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes... probably. These days Mardi Gras is a bit wild for me too.... but I used to enjoy it when I was younger. I'm not a big fan of crowds either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should be fasting, or at least staying off chocolates and meat a few times a week. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mardi Gras sounds like a lot of fun. Here the height of celebration before Lent is pancakes! I love your kitty figures, especially the sleepy one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...