Translate

Sunday, February 3, 2019

grandkids, superbowl, cats, and an Amaryllis


grand daughter at her desk at St. Joseph's




DH and I were there for her first Grandparents' Day Friday. She turned 6 in November and is in Kindergarten at St. Joseph's.  We were worried when she started as she always said that she wasn't going to school... that she wanted to be home-schooled. But as it turns out, she loves it. There are only 15 in her class and after visiting this week, we both agree that it seems to have been a great choice.





Today is the Superbowl. Will we be watching? Probably not. We are Saints fans and even though I don't sit and watch the game normally, DH said that he wasn't going to watch it either. More than likely most of our friends and relatives in New Orleans aren't watching. From what little I know/or heard, it was a botched call - but it happens. My philosophy is: breathe in, breathe out, and move on. But of course it's easy for me to say... not so much the players.

Tux, Julie, and Ghost are taking full advantage of the situation. They are sleeping in DH's chair today - where he usually watches TV. 





And I can't remember if I mentioned that we have a crazed Cardinal that keeps throwing himself into our window. It's been going on for weeks. Apparently he doesn't hurt himself or he would have stopped by now. I took a video, but can't figure out how to get it from my iPhone to the blog. I tried to send it to my email (like I do pictures from my phone), but it doesn't seem to work. Anyway, I can post a picture of Tux watching him.



Tux watching crazed Cardinal

Oh... two other things I should mention: First, they still haven't fixed our streetlight... and second, our Christmas Amaryllis is starting to open!




 
It's not a great picture and I had to enlarge it so you could see the red colors. Also, it's getting tall and top heavy.  We may need to put it into a heavier container (there's hardly any dirt in the one it came in).

Enjoy your Sunday and have a wonderful week!  Since the groundhog has predicted an early Spring.... we can only pray that this crazy weather is on it's way out. Stay warm and stay safe!






18 comments:

  1. Your amaryllis is beautiful. I can easily see the red and hope you post a picture when it's fully bloomed. I will turn on the TV for the Superbowl but won't listen to it. I'll look up occasionally to see the score. We want Tom Brady to lose! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post a pic when it's fully bloomed! As for the Superbowl... our son in Hawaii is watching it - and I think that DH just turned it on.

      Delete
  2. My amaryllis came with a 'puck' of soil that you added water to until it expanded, then pushed the bulb into it. It's not a lot of soil, but mine is thriving. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what a 'puck' is... but there was a little soil in there, however it barely comes up to half the bulb. Guess it doesn't matter as it's shooting up anyway.

      Delete
  3. The cats taking over the chair made me chuckle. I wonder who they will be cheering for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghost is the only one that watches TV... and she likes videos on my iPhone.

      Delete
  4. we never watch the superbowl, st josephs is that catholic school, I went to catholic school and got a good education there; better late than never for your amaryllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep... Catholic school all the way through high school for DH and myself. However, we were taught by nuns and brothers - whereas there's mostly lay teachers in the schools now.

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely flower. And one way or another, that cardinal is going to take care of the intruder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I tried to tape a card up in the window in case the bird was seeing his reflection. It doesn't seem to help... and it's very entertaining for the cats.

      Delete
  6. My amaryllis are just starting to emerge in the kitchen. I am excited. We have a titmouse that has been banging windows all over the house for months. Hubby watches the Superbowl and I use my new expensive blue tooth headphones and will watch a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Amaryllis opens more and more each day... should be fully open soon. I had to put more mud in the pot as the little that came with it wouldn't hold the bulb in place.

      Delete
  7. I went to a Catholic nursery school, then after that too publik skool, so I ain't two smart. As for the cardinal, we had that problem once. We put a few stickers on the window (so he could see the glass) and it seemed to work. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I tried to tape a card in the window... didn't stop him.

      Delete
  8. I didn't watch the Superbowl either, my team are the Seattle Seahawks with the Saints a close second.
    The amaryllis is lovely. As for the cardinal, surely he'll figure it out ...or maybe not. Great cat television. ;)

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, the cats love the bird's antics... especially Tux. He is fascinated.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like the cardinal is attacking his reflection. A friend of mine had his RV side mirror broken by one.
    I only half watched the Super Bowl. I had recorded it so I could fast forward past commercials and time outs. I really wanted Brady to lose but not this year. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH ended up watching part of it... eventually changed the channel. We have been enjoying watching "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" on Prime. I love the music they play from the 50's.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...