Translate

Saturday, February 5, 2022

our short winter chill...

Well, the winter storm came and went here in North Texas... actually the worst of it came and went - as we are still getting below freezing early mornings. But the icy roads, snow, and sleet is gone, roads are drying up, and although we still need to let our faucets drip at night and keep outside faucets covered, the scary/worrisome issues (icy roads and frozen pipes) have diminished. 

As someone who doesn't do well with the cold, I spent the last few days layered in my long johns, jeans, sweater, and a big fishermen's crochet blanket by the fireplace.  


my refuge during the storm


It's strange as DH and Grandson can be perfectly comfortable in shirtsleeves, but even inside the cold seems to go through to my bones. 

We are keeping the heat lamps on outside for the ferals... and added some blankets on the back porch, but most of them used the garage (which we left open about 6 inches so they could get inside out of the cold). We also put blankets out there, water, and a litter box (which they tend to use when there's snow). They gravitated to the back porch as the sun came out in the afternoon yesterday, but have been returning to the garage at night when the temps drop below freezing.

Our AGA is still off (waiting for a part), so I'm learning to use my Breville toaster air fryer and microwave to do all sorts of things. Today I microwaved bacon. That was a first! It came out fine... not exactly the same as doing it in the oven, but good. Good enough to add to my green beans (which again had to be cooked in the microwave). Also sauted onions and garlic in microwave too!

Thank goodness for google! I just look up 'how to do this'... and the answer is there!

***********************

Next few days are scheduled for overdue 'dusting' in several areas. Those of you who have China cabinets and shelving know that this takes a bit more time than simply dusting a bedroom... as it involves removing a lot of little knick knacks, dusting the shelves, then dusting or cleaning the knick knacks, then returning the same to the shelves. I don't mind doing it... but find I need to allot a few days to this process as it can be so time-consuming. 

For example, today I started on the first bookcase (which holds more knick knacks and family pictures than books). As I take down the pictures of family, I have to stop and reminisce over them, where they were taken, and what feelings they bring to mind. When I take down other things (like my collection of rocks taken from various vacations or pieces of pottery I sculpted, etc.) I have to run them through my fingers and remember...


First 3 shelves of 3 book cases

some of my pottery pieces

So, you can see that I don't dust these areas too often. There are 3 bookshelves and 1 China cabinet. If I can get through a shelf or two a day, I'm doing good. 

**********************

Going to close this now so I can get back to 'dusting'. But will report that all the ferals seemed to have survived fine. We finally saw One Eye this morning. I was worried about him as we didn't see him on the back porch or in the garage during the below freezing weather. But where-ever he was, he made it through. 

And where-ever you are, I hope you are doing fine also. Thanks for visiting and sharing this little bit of life with me.  




Hugs (virtual),

Rian


*************************

21 comments:

  1. I hear you on dusting. It isn't a favoured job here, and can go a long time (too long) between dusting stints. And oh the memories those things hold. MUCH bigger than the items. And more precious too.
    Thank you for looking out for the ferals. And hooray for one eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think that if we ever 'hired' anyone to clean for us - they could never 'feel' the things we do when handling certain items. It reminds me of a book I read recently (one of a series) called "The Little Shop of Found Things" by Paula Brackston. This woman's daughter has a rare gift of being able to "feel" the story that certain items of antiquity tell.

      Delete
  2. Rian, I am sitting here in a long sleeve t-shirt, sweatpants, thermostat turned up and I can still feel the chill (it's only in the teens here in Pittsburgh) so I know just how you feel. What helps me is a portable humidifer, pumping plenty of steam. :^) Anyway I think it's very nice what you guys did for your feral family, it felt good just reading that. And I liked seeing your personal mementos & knick-knacks and such, it reminded me of my mom's home but I have my own fair share. I think you just inspired a future blog I'm going to do about the pain of dusting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've reached the age where one starts giving 'stuff' away. I tell the kids when they're here that if there's anything they see on the shelves that they want or that means anything to them, to take it. Some things only have meaning to me. I realize that (like my rocks... especially the ones I picked off the beach on the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland). Anyway, glad to inspire a future blog! Stay warm!

      Delete
  3. I think I'd rather like to dust at your house - all those items look interesting, precious, and hold wonderful memories. Around here I'm dusting off the cat hair. I do have a china cabinet with some special items, but I had packed up many knick knacks when I listed the house for sale two years ago and they remain in boxes. And will until I finally get this house sold.

    Glad you came through your coldest weather well, as did the ferals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we've had cats all our married lives, so I know about cat hair! And I imagine it would be necessary to pack up when listing a house for sale. Can't imagine doing that though - been in this house for 36 years - way to much to pack up.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing your pretty nicknacks, and even have a few you made and sent to me years ago. Glad you made it through your winter chill and that you took such good care of the community kitties, too. Reading your posts always make me feel like we've just shared a cup of coffee together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of the idea, isn't it... sharing virtually over a cup of coffee or tea? Two of my dear friends (one here and one in N.O.) do exactly that. We have virtual teas/coffees by either Zoom or Skype almost every week. I find blogging very similar... only it's done in our own separate times. But I'll bet most of us get our coffee or tea before sitting down to read our online friends posts. I sure look forward to hearing from them (you)... posts and comments! :)

      Delete
  5. I dusted the bits and bobs last week. Such a production.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have inspired me to break out the Swiffer and do some dusting. We are in similar conditions as you. We have some melt and the roads by noon are clear but the sun doesn't hit my driveway so I am not comfortable about leaving. But that is OK since I have power and a full larder. Sure feel for those in the dark and cold. The sleet that came down first is so hard that Callie can run right across the top of it with out leaving a track.
    Great job with the ferals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspired to dust... wow! that really wasn't my intention, Patti, but OK... try to enjoy it! ;)

      Delete
  7. So kind of you to remember the ferals. The one feral cat in our neighborhood it the healthiest cat I have seen. The neighbors feed her and allow her in their garage. I watch that she does not go after the birds near our feeders and I have not seen any feathers or dead birds, so all it well. Now that we have a dog I think she is giving us a bit wider space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor, if many of the neighbors feed her, I'll bet she/he is doing well. I'm sure many of our neighbors do the same. I've seen some garage doors left open just about 6 inches and I'm sure it's for the neighborhood cats.

      Delete
  8. you are so kind to look after the cats. i am not a cat person and have not always been happy to have them in my yard...they go after my birds and it is so hard to watch them sneaking around!! i will try harder to think kindly of them!!

    it is freezing here, it has not gone above 32 degrees in days and the nights are in single digits. we have not gone anywhere, but the hubs did grill some steaks tonight and he confirmed it was freezing out!! i am never cold in the house, i wear a long sleeved t shirt and capri sweat pants, it is my go to home outfit!!

    dusting...i did that once, it came back, i am not falling for that again!! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Debbie, cats will do what it's a cat's nature to do... but we still see a lot of birds in our yard. They are mostly Blue Jays (who are very bold), but the feral cats (while they will stalk them)... hardly ever catch one. It's more of a game since we feed them and they are not that hungry. At least that's my 'take' on it.
      As for the dusting.. it continues here... very slowly.

      Delete
    2. i would order it soon if you really want it. there are other companies that cary similar items but i did a lot of research and found the one i have to be the best. we filled the very bottom with empty water bottles so we did not need as much soil. start your vegetables indoors and the then get them use to outdoor temperatures by bringing them in at night, out during the day. google how long you should do that for!!

      supper was awesome and definitely sent us both in to a food coma!!!

      Delete
  9. Our winter retirement community has a stray dog this year. We've named him Buddy, and everyone reports on our FB page where they've seen him. Management tells us not to feed him - they've set up a feeding area to catch Buddy - but people feed him anyway. He has a good life, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the community takes care of him, Linda, I think that's great.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad to read the worst of the arctic blast is over. I too hate bone chilling cold & tho the house is 'normal' temp indoors when it's wintry outside, I do just as you do. Layers & afghan!

    Love seeing your cabinet shelves and pottery!! I would be the same...reminscing and fondly. Smiling all along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anni. I too hope the worst of the arctic blast is over. It's difficult to get anything done when you're cold. I just want to hibernate. Hope you had a nice birthday!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...