Translate

Sunday, March 5, 2023

semi-serious post...


this is how I feel in the morning
 after a bp occurrence


I'm posting this because I've noticed that sometimes fellow bloggers have interesting and helpful information in their comments. I wouldn't put this on Facebook, but I think because most of my blog readers are 50+, that this would be a safer and more accurate demographic. 

Those of you that read my posts may remember that a while back I posted about occasionally having strange occurrences... I would wake up during the night or early morning with my heart pounding, headachy, and high bp. I was tested for sleep apnea and that was negative, I wore a heart monitor for a month and outside of a few quirky readings, the Cardiologist found nothing serious. I do have what they call Grade 1 Diastolic Dysfunction, but apparently that's not unusual for someone my age (77). And I have a few leaky valves, but they do an Echocardiogram every 6 months or so to keep an eye on them.

Well, these occurrences have started happening again with more frequency. Last night I decided to check my bp before bed (around 10pm) and it was 118/68 heartrate 74 (normal).  When I woke up between 5 and 7am, it was 170/99 heart rate 107. I got up, made a cup of tea, and did my breathing exercises (breathe in through nose to the count of 5, then hold breath to the count of 24, breathe out long breath through mouth) This usually lowers both my bp and my heart rate. 

So I got up around 8 am, took bp again around 9:30 and it was down to 130/79  heart rate 77.  Later at 12:30 it was up again to 151/83 heart rate 76, but down at 1:30 pm to 120/77 heartrate 80. My normal bp runs low-normal to normal (94 - 118). 

Anyway, I'm thinking nocturnal hypertension? The Cardiologist gave me some Rx Propranolol 10 mg to take in 2021, but I've never taken any as my breathing exercises seem to control it. I'm not into meds unless absolutely needed (due to the fact that I've had some strange reactions to many). I do intend to call him tomorrow. He will probably tell me to take the Rx Propranolol, but if it lowers bp, I wouldn't want to take it at night when my bp is normal, but possibly just in the morning when it spikes??

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or comments, I'd love to hear them.

Sorry this is such a bummer of a post.

Hugs (still virtual),

Rian



18 comments:

  1. Rian, so sorry you're wrestling with this but I sure am impressed that someone like yourself can be 77 and not be on anything. I remember when I was a kid, my grandma (who was in her 60s) had a row of prescription bottles on the back of her kitchen sink. Anyway--not that I know anything, but I take amlodipine for my BP and you would think it makes sense to take it in the morning, and a lot of people do. But my doctor (and Reader's Digest) says if you take BP meds at bedtime, they're doubly effective. That's when I take mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dug, I will do what the doctor says as to when to take the meds if that is what is needed. But if my bp is low at night and I take something to lower it more, that seems strange. But perhaps waiting until it spikes isn't good either. I don't know.

      Delete
  2. Have you seen an allergist? A rapid heartbeat and spike in bp is one of the signs of an allergy attack . Even a fluctuation of hormones can cause this. This happens to my daughter at times (high pollen time or around her cycle). The doctor has told her that it is very common at night if you have a window open as the pollen is worse at night - it can also cause intestinal distress. The woman's doctor checked her hormone levels and around her cycle they can dip to below necessary levels which can create this.

    Hope this helps with possible causes.

    BP USA Wyoming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't seen an allergist. Saw one years ago and was not happy with how they put tape all over my back... found out that the tape (and a few other things) caused more problems than I came in with. But I appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  3. I've no answers for you, but I certainly hope your doctor can provide some and some relief as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad died of a stroke, and since I don't normally have high bp... it's a concern - and a disturbance of my sleep to wake up like that. Makes me not want to go to bed if I'm going to wake up with that feeling.

      Delete
  4. Those are quite similar to my bp readings. 170/99 scares the bejammers out of me, but since it subsides, my cardiologist isn't bothered. I'll be interested in what yours says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, this comment is interesting to me. Perhaps this is an age-related stress problem that Cardiologists aren't too concerned about. It has been a stressfull 2 weeks.

      Delete
  5. I wonder what is causing it. It seems odd that it spikes like that at night, but even so it's not all THAT high, just concerning. I hope your doctor can figure out what's going on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And DJan, this comment too makes me wonder. If 170/99 with a heartrate of 107 isn't THAT high, then maybe it is just stress. But I have to say that it makes me feel very strange... light headed, headachy, and like my heart is going to bust out of my chest. But it does go down with my breathing routine... and goes back to low-normal during the day.

      Delete
  6. I don't have any answers, Rian, but hope you can sort it out. My BP runs high normal anyway (with heart disease on both sides of the family), but it's especially high at the moment, and not treated because it's "just" the stress in my life. Great health care. I just did a 72-hour Holter test, can't imagine doing that for a month! I also recently did the 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitor, at the nurse's suggestion, not the doctor's. Don't know the results yet, but since just wearing it and having it go off every 30 minutes during the day and then every hour at night was very stressful for me, I suspect that stress rendered the results meaningless. LOL.)

    Good luck with this. I, too, would be interested to know what your cardiologist says, if you feel comfortable posting that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, the 30 day monitor was a pain... but I'm not complaining... just wearing it with all the wires (know there are some much more mobile) was stressful. I don't believe we have heart problems in my family (cancer - yes, heart -no) although my dad had cancer, he did die of a stroke at 75. And I will post what the Cardiologist says... although I think I know what that will be.

      Delete
  7. I often feel like this for no reason, I think it's general stress of living. I don't think it's a good idea to keep taking your blood pressure although it's not my business but blood pressure can fluctuate so much even just during the day. I very rarely take mine it just adds to more stress.
    Tom never had high blood pressure in his life but still had heart attacks so I don't read too much into it.
    Hope you feel better soon
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briony, thanks for the comment. And I was so sorry to hear about Tom. My dad didn't have heart trouble, but he died of a stroke (and I do believe it was stress related). I don't normally take my bp often (although the Cardiologist says I should keep an eye on it). But when I have a spike like that, I just need to know that it's going down and not continuing to rise (although I can 'feel' the difference).

      Delete
  8. I have no ideas for you, but I do hope your doctor can solve the mystery. Oh, I see Maebeme said basically the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Olga. Glad to hear from you. I'm sure it's all age-related stuff (inconveniences we need to put up with as we age). But it helps to hear what others have to say or have experienced themselves.

      Delete
  9. not a bummer at all!! i am a nurse but have not worked in that capacity in many years. your blood pressure really is all over the place. i take propranolol every day because i was getting migraines, several a week. because it dilates blood vessels, it works off label for migraines as well. i have not had any negative side effects from it but as you know, everyone is different and has a different reaction to medications!!! good luck and keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks for this heads up on the Propranolol as I do get ocular migraines - used to get regular pain filled ones until I got older, now they're just ocular (still troublesome, but not painful -usually). My bp is still going up in the early morning - mostly 156/92 and I can get it down with breathing exercise, (usually back to 115-120 by 9 or 10 am - but am considering 'trying' the Propranolol.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...