Translate

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

an ice-cream day...



Today DH and I stopped at McDonald's for sundae's. I got hot fudge and he got caramel (he wanted strawberry, but apparently they don't do strawberry anymore?) Who knew? We haven't done this since before the pandemic - and then the sundaes were like $1 or maybe $1.50... now, they're about $2.50 and smaller. But we shouldn't be surprised. After all, most things are getting smaller and costing more. That's just the way it is these days, I guess. 

Not complaining, just noticing. We really enjoyed the sundaes despite it all. We have taken to stopping for a coffee or hot chocolate (or ice-cream now) when out running errands. Again... something we used to do, but stopped with the pandemic. Guess we're just getting back to what may be our new normal. 3 years of staying home and cutting back has left it's mark. And although I don't think we'll ever be quite the same, we are enjoying the little things again.

Covid is still around. You hear about people down with it daily... but generally it isn't life-threatening anymore - and few have to be hospitalized. So I guess what I'm saying is that this is the first spring in a long time that I feel we can breathe freely. However, DH and I still wear our masks when in public places - just to be safe (and yes, I know they are no guarantees) I will probably be a life-time masker when it comes to crowds, but that's just me. 


Updates:

My removable partial was adjusted again yesterday. Now it seems to be fine and I'm wearing it daily without any problem. 

We plan to go out to eat at an Italian Restaurant for Mother's Day. We probably won't go on Sunday as it might be too crowded. But we're both looking forward to it and if I can remember, will post a picture of our meals. 

Daughter's horse got sprayed by a porcupine last week. She said she spent the evening taking quills out or Tootsie's face.

I'm planning to make Almond Horns in the next day or so. They can be made with almond flour and almond paste... so are gluten free! 

And our tomato plants are actually making tomatoes... or trying. Here is a pic:




The cucumber plant looks good too, but hasn't produced anything yet... but it has a few flowers. And the same goes for the bell peppers. So yes, our Trug garden is doing a bit better this year... so far. 

And our mint front garden is taking over. It looks so wonderful in the spring... and we use it in our sweet tea... but as the weather gets hot, it will go to seed and get scraggly looking. 

mint front garden now

That's the news here for now... nothing earth-shattering, but that's the kind of news I like. I will recommend a movie that we saw on Netflix the other night, "A man called Otto" (kind of an odd story line but still good)

that's me...


that's me too!


 - Rian



20 comments:

  1. Sending you a hug back, Rian. Ah yes, we had a McD's sundae a couple of weeks ago and I did notice it was pretty small. Art had a milkshake instead. Still... I enjoyed it and it's probably all I needed. Have a terrific Mother's Day, Rian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree (small or not) it was good and all I needed too. Wishing you a wonderful Mother's Day also, Kay.

      Delete
  2. I loved the book that a man called Otto was based on. I wonder why they felt the need to change the name? The book is A Man called Ove. I don't remember the last time I had a sundae. And yes, smaller and more expensive is a neat summation of our times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read the book too, EC... thought the name sounded familiar. As for the name change, I have no idea why.

      Delete
  3. I liked that movie, too. The book was better, but I love anything with Tom Hanks in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom Hanks is something else... one of those actors that can play any part... definitely not type cast.

      Delete
  4. Rian, sorry to hear about the strawberry sundaes (those were my favorite too). And glad to hear your partial is now fitting well! Guess what--"A Man Called Otto" was primarily filmed in my neighborhood, just a couple streets over from my apartment. Tom Hanks here was a very big deal, he was dropping in on different things here, like a local couple's Sat wedding. I have to see that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the strawberry sundaes are only off the menu here in our area... and possibly still around in yours? And having that movie "A Man called Otto" filmed in your area is interesting. You have to see it and see if you recognize the places where they filmed. They film a lot of movies in New Orleans and I love seeing the old places back home.

      Delete
  5. I read the book--twice. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that having rainbow sprinkles on your ice cream accentuates the feeling. Anyway ... that was the medicine I took on Monday afternoon. Hmmm, time for another dose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I'm not into sprinkles... BUT... add a little hot fudge and I'm a happy camper!

      Delete
  7. I was at a store yesterday, next to an ice cream shop. As I came out the door, I heard a wee girl yelling, "ice cream, ice cream ". It made me think of something my dad said, "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.) A little treat does feel more normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I remember my dad saying that also. And although DH is the ice-cream lover in this family, I do enjoy the treat on occasion (especially if it's covered in dark chocolate - like hot fudge sundaes and Dove bars).

      Delete
  8. I took grandkids to our McDonalds a week or two ago. We only have the chocolate option and they were very small. And they cost almost $3 a piece. We do live in a "vacation" area, so that could be why they are priced higher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our sundaes were $2.79... and very small. But they were good...

      Delete
  9. ooooh ice cream, i adore it "out"!! the hubs eats it almost every night, i get him bryers and he loves it. i am not an all out fan...just once in a while, out at a good ice cream shop!! good news about the partial and the vegetables...

    we watched a man called otto and i was on the fence about it. i LOVE tom hanks but all of the suicide attempts took away from the movie in my opinion. maybe i would have tolerated references to them, but not actual visuals. the woman across the street was awesome and i enjoyed the impact she and the children had on otto!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH eats it at home a lot too... and my granddaughter loves it also. She always wants her ice-cream and her fav is Blue Bell's home-made vanilla.
      As I said, the theme of "A Man called Otto" is a bit strange (realistic probably sadly), but the movie definitely had it's moments.

      Delete
  10. Your two photos/graphics were both meaningful to me. Glad that your garden has started. Our veggies here are mostly 6-8 inches high. I have had 4 Moderna and one Pfizer as well as spent a few days having COVID in the past years so my Doctor says ti wait until fall for my next shot. He says they will be better and he is concerned that COVID shots do have serious side effects for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor, DH and I had 5 vaccines (all Pfizer) - the last being the Omicron booster. No one has mentioned getting any more, but I expect there will be a booster in the Fall. I've never gotten Covid (as far as I know - unless I was symptomless). DH had a mild case in 2021. My daughter doesn't get the shots - she has Hashimoto and her doctor doesn't recommend it for her.

      ReplyDelete

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! It makes my day...